First Carving

Started by Johnny Dingus, September 07, 2008, 07:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

I Agree with the Kid. It is nicer than the first one. Every one you do will be different because of what you learn on the previous ones. Remember, the darker the finish, the less detail you want because it will get lost in the shading. I like the coloring better on this one, too. Darn good work, pard. The kid's right, it can be a lot of fun.

By knife cuts in the bottom of the flower petals, here's a photo showing how it can be done, although there is no right or wrong way for this. All you're doing is giving some accents to make it more interesting. Careful to not make them all straight. Those were done with a slight curve at the the start of the cut. Let the cut narrow as you finish it, too.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Johnny Dingus

Thanks for the comments Kid, Marshall Will. 
Those knife cuts on your coaster looks great Marshall.  Hopefully soon I will be able to do that without thinking too much about how to do it.  I still get excited and want to see it done before I am done with it.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

cowboywc

Quote from: Johnny Dingus on September 20, 2008, 09:16:15 PM
Thanks for the comments Kid, Marshall Will. 
Those knife cuts on your coaster looks great Marshall.  Hopefully soon I will be able to do that without thinking too much about how to do it.  I still get excited and want to see it done before I am done with it.

Johnny Dingus
Howdy Johnny
The first thing you want to do is get rid of the "Death Grip" on the swivel knife. Loosen up and have fun.
Pratice some deco cuts on a piece of scrape before you do your project.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Johnny Dingus

Thanks WC,  an expert can tell by looking..... your right tight grip on the knife.  I am not comfortable with it yet but the second one being a week or two apart wasn't much more comfortable.  It turned out better because I think I was more comfortable knowing what to do after I cut the leather.
Wish you had a store up here WC.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on September 18, 2008, 11:15:56 PM
I Agree with the Kid. It is nicer than the first one. Every one you do will be different because of what you learn on the previous ones. Remember, the darker the finish, the less detail you want because it will get lost in the shading. I like the coloring better on this one, too. Darn good work, pard. The kid's right, it can be a lot of fun.

By knife cuts in the bottom of the flower petals, here's a photo showing how it can be done, although there is no right or wrong way for this. All you're doing is giving some accents to make it more interesting. Careful to not make them all straight. Those were done with a slight curve at the the start of the cut. Let the cut narrow as you finish it, too.

Hi Marshall,

Did you take yer pictures out of this thread. All I see on this post of yers is a white box with a tiny teensie lil' red x in the top left corner. Is this a computer glitch or did ya change wild rags. :-\

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

cowboywc

Howdy JD
I wish I could get away from here and go do classes around the country like the masters do.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: HorsePen Henry on September 23, 2008, 03:02:34 AMDid you take yer pictures out of this thread. All I see on this post of yers is a white box with a tiny teensie lil' red x in the top left corner. Is this a computer glitch or did ya change wild rags. :-\
The pictures are still there. I have an email in to Marshal Halloway and am waiting for a response. Has anyone else noticed that problem?

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on September 23, 2008, 06:18:12 PM
The pictures are still there. I have an email in to Marshal Halloway and am waiting for a response. Has anyone else noticed that problem?
Marshall Will, HorsePen
Just looked back and I still see all the photos.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Dalton Masterson

Your avatar is a little red x to me too.
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

HorsePen Henry

Quote from: dalton masterson on September 25, 2008, 12:10:56 PM
Your avatar is a little red x to me too.

Hi Dalton,
Mine or the Marshalls avatar?

XHP

Marshall, your post reply #20 above shows no imagery just white boxes with a red x in each. Did you do anything to your Photobucket account or......................................
Maybe we can team up on this one. This is quite a puzzle.
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: HorsePen Henry on September 25, 2008, 02:37:13 PM
Hi Dalton,
Mine or the Marshalls avatar?

XHP

Marshall, your post reply #20 above shows no imagery just white boxes with a red x in each. Did you do anything to your Photobucket account or......................................
Maybe we can team up on this one. This is quite a puzzle.

Still see the image and the avatar!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Dalton Masterson

Hey HP, if you are using that image of the famous old western cowboy, its working!
Its Marshals I cant see. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Marshal Halloway is working on this. We'll see what he finds. I see all images fine also, so not all machines are affected the same. Hang in there, pards. We'll sort it out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com