First Carving

Started by Johnny Dingus, September 07, 2008, 07:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Dingus

Well I went and did it I carved a holster... 

Now I am in the process of doing the right one.

Ace if I can try it you surely can.

I did this based on Will G's patern modified to drop it a little like the last ones I did.

Let me know what you guys think.

I still need another coat of evoo.

Hope you guys think I am on the right track.   :)

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Johnny Dingus

Another shot of it with truer colors.  I need to evoo the holster more than the strap.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Johnny Dingus

Final finish guys.

Hope you like.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Mogorilla

Looks great, I am currently playing around with the swivel knife myself.  Eventually I will post something (if it doesn't all go to the scrap bin)

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice job, JD. That patttern looks great on that holster. The stamping looks even, too. The color in the last photo is just right. It'll be cool to see the other one. I'll bet you're hooked, now, eh? Congrats on the first one. They all get easier once you have one under your belt. Looking good. Thanks for the pics.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Way to go Johnny, Absolutly Beautiful, you can be proud, it's your design, and for a first time carving, you Aced it, I like the color too, I LIKE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT... ::) :o ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny Dingus

Thanks guys,

Now if I can do as well on the right one.

tEN wOLVES thanks for the comments,  the pattern is really Will G's with a drop on this one.  Unlike my previous version.  This one is double layer and will stand the test of time.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

santee

Heckuva job, Johnny. I like the carving!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Johnny Dingus on September 08, 2008, 06:58:39 PM
Thanks guys,

Now if I can do as well on the right one.

tEN wOLVES thanks for the comments,  the pattern is really Will G's with a drop on this one.  Unlike my previous version.  This one is double layer and will stand the test of time.

Johnny Dingus

Hello Johnny

I think you did a nice job of incorporating your drop into a Will Ghormely design, I use Will's patterns all the time, and have changed the cant or the drop, all of his patterns are great to work with. I noticed you did some shading on your holster, did you do it with oil and sun? it looks dandy pard, it has that used but well kept look to it , thats what I like to see in my leather, I'm kind of a push over though , I like all the different colors of leather, leather can be just like wood, rich in color, shade and depth, and when you finish it, it's a thing of beauty. ::) :o ;D

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny Dingus

tENwOLVES,

I used coffee to stain the strap walnut juice to stain the back piece and then Fieblings brown and evoo to stain the front of the holster.  On the strap I also tried some antiquing.
There is so much you can experiment with it is just so much fun.  But need to find the just right method for me.  I am following WC in the other post and agree that soaking for 5 days is a little long to get a job done.  So I am looking at what works for me.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Ace Lungger

:o :o Very nice Johnny, I am impressted, I don't think I can do it yet!! i still have have a lot of learning to do! Keep you the good work, it looks great!!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny Dingus

Thanks Ace,

Haven't seen you on here for a few days....hope your doing well.

And yes you could do this.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Gun Butcher

Johnny is right Ace all you need to do is get started.   Johnny I really like that color, I hope you wrote the formula down so you can get the next one the same.  I speak from experience, their is a black holster floating aroundsomewhere in the world that got that way because I could not remember how or exactly what I used to get the color on the belt that went with it.
   Your carving looks real good and now that you are going with that it will get even better.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Johnny Dingus

Thanks GB,

Carving will get better.  I know I made lots of mistakes but after all is said it does look good and to a novice it looks like an expert did it.  Most people do not understand how much patience and time it takes to do each piece we make.  And after each one I get a little more experience and another leson learned.

Ace if you have any of that free or cheap leather left over as scraps take a piece and Will G's patterns with his flower carving.  Trace it on to leather and just try it.  Use WC's picture of carving and use the knife first to make your cuts, camoflage , shade , bevel,  vein,  use a seeder,  then the background tool sit back and say wow it really isn't too hard.  You just need to make that first step and you will be hooked on this also.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Ace Lungger

Thanks Johnny for the kind words, you to GB.  I havn't done much leather work, things have been up and down after they gave me Serquel, I had a Super bout of Depression, which I have to deal with anyway! And then not being able to stand long enough to shoot a CAS match, and now we have 2 teenage girls living with us, and Work Comp quiet paying, had to take them to court, Judge ordered them to start paying and to repay what they owed me, and they did, and I havn't seen a penny since!! Now back to court we go!!
  I got a chance to trade some guns that I couldn't sell and got me a gun I dreamed about for years, i got me a Repo Sharps, havn't shot it, wheather has been crap, and the Moriphine doesn't work anymore >:( >:(

But I am going to try Carving, but I need to have my head strait when i am going to do this!

Thanks so much for the kind Words
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

kid sheleen

:)Nice job Johnny!  Looks good for a first timer.  And like you said, it gets better and easier with time.  Pretty soon you'll be an old pro! :)
kid
www.circlemleather.com

Johnny Dingus

Well after doing the left holster and being right handed I guess it was time to do a right holster.
So here are a few pics.  Please critique and be honest.  If I need to do things a little different you experts please advise me to.
I don't have a place local that I have found to take classes.

Tried real hard to make this one like the other but found that you can't do everything identical.

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Johnny Dingus

I think I could have maybe done a few more cuts in the flowers.  The finished product doesn't actually show as well the detail in my opinion so was not neccessary.

What do you guys think of the finished Duo?

Johnny Dingus

Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

kid sheleen

:)Looks Great, Johnny!  That second one came out better than the first, I think.  The carving is more defined and you can see the flowers and all better.  The only thing I would have done is to put a few knife cuts in the bottom of the flower petals to give it a little life and add some dimension, but I'd say you're doing great.  Keep at it.  It's FUN ain't it?  And nobody does everything the same way, we'd be awfully boring if we did.  After all, this is art, you're the artist, and it's your canvas, so to speak. :D

Kid
kid
www.circlemleather.com

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Johnny,

Sorry I did missed this.

What a great job of carving especially for your first attempt. The finished product is beautiful!
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com