Roll Crimp

Started by Tequila Jim, September 02, 2008, 03:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tequila Jim

Mr. Dasterdly or anyone who or whom roll crimps. How much of the old crimp
do you cut off? Or going at it another way how much plastic above the shot,
shot cup do you need to get a good roll over?  Regards, TJ

hellgate

I try to leave 1/4" of case mouth above the shot for the roll crimp. If roll crimping a fold crimp hull I cut about 3/8" off the mouth to remove the tapered/folded portion. Once fired paper cases often roll crimp nicely. I've even loaded super gamer loads in cases that were about 2" long. They load & shuck fine but you can't get as much powder and shot into them.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Dick Dastardly

I turned a cool little wood cone on my lathe.  It's just under .410 ga on the tip and around 9ga at the base.  I left a 3/8" stem to chuck in my Makita drill.  I use this wood 'conditioner' to straighten and soften the mouth of the cases before I load them.

I don't trim my hulls because I need all the volume I can get for payload.

I spin the roll crimp on a bench top drill press.  I found the bench top drill press on sale for $40 and roll crimps are about all I use it for.  I have roll crimp bits for .410ga, 20ga, 16ga, 12ga and 10ga.  I mounted a MEC Sizemaster collet shell sizer on my drill press and use it to hold my shells when I spin the crimp.  Then, I turn the shell around and give the front half a squeeze to assure absolute factory size and ease of fit in my guns.

The old pie crimp rolls over very well and makes a nice tight roll crimp.  There's no need to trim it all.  The hull 'conditioner' makes the case mouths very ready for reloading and crimping.  FWIW, I can spin a roll crimp darn near as fast as I can do a pie crimp.  From my experience the roll crimps are much better at holding even pressure in black powder loads.  I also use roll crimps in all my hunting loads.

The overshot card is easy to write the load code on before spinning the crimp.  It makes positive load identification a snap.

Love 'em roll crimps.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Tequila Jim

Thank you gents, Regards, TJ

Springfield Slim

I made up a batch to use in an upcoming match for use in my'87. I cut the hulls off at 2 1/4" so that they would end up 2" even when finished. Used my same load but adjusted the height with the cushion wad. I crimp with an antique hand tool.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Tequila Jim

Springfield, would post the innards of your shell?  Powder, wads, & shot.  TJ

Springfield Slim

I use a 1/4" Precision Reloading felt wad, 1 1/8oz of #7 shot, and enough ffg until I fill the case properly, I think about 60 grains but I don't measure it. If you are using a volume measure then it is a bit smaller in volume than the 1 1/8oz of shot. Topped by a .70 overshot card.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com