A new game?

Started by Forty Rod, September 01, 2008, 02:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

litl rooster

Quote from: Ozark Tracker on September 01, 2008, 02:42:40 PM
was the Willys  a stand alone or an offshoot of one we've named?

Yep friend had a 49 ( I believe) Willy's Coupe

I know they made appliances but didn't "Crosley"  make a car also?
Mathew 5.9

Texas Lawdog

OT,  Dad traded for a faded blue Crosley SW.  We also had a Morris Minor.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Arcey

Old man bought a '49 Willys pick up from a city auction. He 'n me put new main bearin's in it. Painted it Corvette butternut yellow. I hand painted a pink daisy in the tail gate. That attracted the freaky chicks ya were scared ya'd catch somethin' from. Didn't do that again.

Pard ah mine 'n me took it ta Carolina 'n filled the bed with mistletoe. Sold it to the Christmas tree folks 'n more'n paid for the beer we brought back to Virginia.   
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Forty Rod

Okay...Stanley, Willys, Cord, and Olds were already named.

Hispano-Suiza (Gloriously elegant and the size of a block of apartments) was Spanish and Spanish-French.

New are Franklin, Pierce, Stutz, Miller (Never heard of this one.) Frazer, and Crosley.

Good going, gents.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Leo Tanner on September 01, 2008, 04:39:20 PM
Everybody else did.  Did anyone mention Tucker yet?  Prolly did, I'm too busy ta look back.

Well?  The car did exist idn't it?

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Texas Lawdog

Tucker built less than 50 of them before the Govt shut him down.  As far as I know, all of them have been accounted for, that was 1948.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Forty Rod

Quote from: Leo Tanner on September 02, 2008, 02:29:06 PM
Well?  The car did exist idn't it?
Leo

Yup, but it's already been called.

Ol' Tucker built a rear-engined, air-cooled, flat opposed helicopter enginec marvel, a very modern car.  All kinds of inovations like padded dash, doors that curved into the roof, a central headlight that steered with the wheels, ground lights at each door to illimnate the ground before you stepped out.  There were only 47 or 49 of them completed before his credtors ate him alive. 

A man named Corderman, a friend of my dad, had a Tucker franchise when I was a little kid.  He never got a car delivered to him and ended up losing his Ford dealership trying to pay back what he had borrowed to get the Tucker franchise.

It was a wonderful idea by a man whose ideas didn't run to making money off of his car.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Leo Tanner

What was the name of the only model produced?

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Texas Lawdog

Supposedly there 51 built, but only 47 have been accounted for. One of them just sold at an auto auction for over $900,000.  The Tucker was refered to as "The Car of Tomorrow" and The Tucker Torpedo. It also came an escape hatch and seat belts.

Leo Tanner

:D
Thanks Tex, the name of that car was just on the edge of memory.  Torpedo.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Texas Lawdog

The Tucker was a car way ahead of it's time.

Texas Lawdog

Forty Rod

Vauxhall is British, too.

Delmonico

Did we do DeSoda ;D  Was also some three wheel thing called a Davis.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Forty Rod

Quote from: Delmonico on September 02, 2008, 05:14:05 PM
Did we do DeSoda ;D  Was also some three wheel thing called a Davis.

Good call on the DeSoto.  Didn a lot of "maturing" in ther back of a '57 Voyager wagon with a tall red-headed texas girl.   ;D

I'll have to check on a Davis trike,  I know the was a British Morgan 3 wheeler.  I'll get back to you.

*********************************************************************************************

Davis cycle cars, Detriot.  Three wheels, two passengers in tandem, 2 cycle air-cooled engine.  Only made about two years in early 1900s, but not much more about it.  You had to have been mighty young when that one was introduced, Del.

Leo Tanner

How in the heck did everyone miss De Soto ???  I remember them things.  That was Howard Cunninghams ride.
     (they don't call us the lost generation fer nuthin) ::)

Leo

Roland Deschain

Texas Lawdog

What about a REO and a BRUSH?

Delmonico

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on September 02, 2008, 05:59:50 PM

I already did the REO, forgot the Brush. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Forty Rod

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on September 02, 2008, 05:59:50 PM

Already had REO, but Brush is good...another Detroit car.

Delmonico

Quote from: Forty Rod on September 02, 2008, 06:07:17 PM
Already had REO, but Brush is good...another Detroit car.

More famous for fire trucks but didn't LaFrance make cars?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com