My new period correct safety/shooting glasses

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, August 31, 2008, 03:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottawa Creek Bill

Well......
Not quite....I still have to defarb the frames.....

OCB

Another view
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

US Scout

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: US Scout on August 31, 2008, 08:41:24 PM
OCB,

So where did you come up with these?

US......
Wal Mart of all places.....These have polycarbonate safety lenses, progressive lens no line bifocals...the eye shields came with the glasses. The frames were $84.99 without my prescription or lenses. The frames are the SG102 Safety Frames. I'll use these as my every day glasses as well as my shooting glasses..

Bill 
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

US Scout

I like the eye-shields on the side. 

I have similar shooting glasses I picked up from Dillon years ago.  While certainly not "period correct" they certainly look better than the various types of "aviator" style shooting glasses I see many wear. 

Given that I've never even seen a pair of period shooting glasses (Wait a minute Wyatt while I put on my shooting glasses and insert my earplugs), I figure something that appears "period correct" is better than something that is obviously an anachronism - at least they more correct in spirt - and besides they'll looks better when the photos are printed. 

Texas Lawdog

They look fine to me. Who would have thought that you would fine what you want at the Walmart Eye Place. I got a pair of Aviator safety frames at Walmart and the side shields came with them. I got some brown Transiitions lens in them and they are my Sunglasses/Shooting glasses when I qualify for my firearms Quals.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Dusty Tagalon

Be aware, my first progressive bifocals pirchased from walmart. I was unable to use the bifocals, the following year, when I went to a local Optometrists, they were focused crosseyed.

Dusty

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Dusty Tagalon on September 01, 2008, 12:42:30 PM
Be aware, my first progressive bifocals pirchased from walmart. I was unable to use the bifocals, the following year, when I went to a local Optometrists, they were focused crosseyed.

Dusty

Had a friend that got his progressive's from Wallymart, and they accidentely reversed the lenses, he couldn't figure out why the new  glasses were giving him such headache's Wallymart told him it would take a while for him to get used to them. he didn't fine out what was wrong until he went to another Dr.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Major 2

You know.... now that you mention that  :o

I got a pair of porgressive lenses after being examed at Walmart, when I said they did not seem right , they said I needed to get used to them....I couldn't and took them back.
That is when the Wally DOC  ::) said he did not recommend progressive for me  >:( and rather bluntly I might add.
I pointed out his sales staff had ..using his perscription, being as how I did not know any better and/or as I could not read his RX orders.
They took them back and replaced the lenses with normal bi-focals....
Those, I later lost...been using reading Glasses ( Cheaters) ever since.

I think I'm going to Lens Crafters or Pearles Vision, and see if they have SG102 Safety Frames.
when planets align...do the deal !

Deadeye Don

Remember that old saying...... "You get what you pay for?"   You guys are making me glad I got my glasses through my opthalomologist.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

O.T. Buchannan

I remember out of the movie 'Big Jake':  Son, "You need glasses, do you pa?"  Father (John Wayne), "Just to see with!"

Bill....is there a possibility of getting just the sidepieces?  My repro spectacles are just like those (minus the nose piece), and they DO HAVE safety lenses in them.  With the side plates, I would be good to go!
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: O.T. Buchannan on September 02, 2008, 12:50:18 PM
I remember out of the movie 'Big Jake':  Son, "You need glasses, do you pa?"  Father (John Wayne), "Just to see with!"

Bill....is there a possibility of getting just the sidepieces?  My repro spectacles are just like those (minus the nose piece), and they DO HAVE safety lenses in them.  With the side plates, I would be good to go!

OT.......I don't know, the side shields came with the glasses. By the way....all you guys that have had problems with Wally Worlds eye glasses???? i can see perfectly through mine....as a matter of fact, I didn't realize how bad my old glasses were with all the scratches and the fact that my vision had deteriorated so much. My new glasses are fine and I feel sorry for you all when I shoot against you....heh...heh....heh.....

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

O.T. Buchannan

Bill, I'm going to see if I can find some side shields like those....
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Gripmaker

I sure feel sorry for all you old dudes who need eyewear. At 61 my doctor told me I don't need glasses. He says I'm still steady enough to drink from the bottle so here's to Y'all.

Texas Lawdog

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Trinity

So... I take it you fellers wouldn't like my glasses. :-[

I got them free from Wal-Mart.  That is, my employer paid for the glasses and of the available frames, this is all that they had that would fit (I've a big head... hat size 7 7/8). 

There are no NCOWS clubs around here, so I don't really feel out of place, but when I'm done shooting, I still take them off and squint my way through the socializing or packing up. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Black Powder

Quote from: Trinity on September 08, 2008, 07:50:32 PM
So... I take it you fellers wouldn't like my glasses. :-[

I love 'em.  Had frames just like those back in the 70s...  8)

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Trinity

;D ;D ;D

I hate 'em.  I was really bummed when I looked at the frames and found a pair just like OCB's but not in my size.  I used to shoot without vision correction, but lately, I need the he'p.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Sod Buster

Quote from: Trinity on September 10, 2008, 06:55:10 PM

I hate 'em.  I was really bummed when I looked at the frames and found a pair just like OCB's but not in my size. 

Can they order the correct size for you?
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Trinity

I'm sure they can, but not at the price that my employer was willing to pay. ;D  As the lady told me, what I see is what I get.  I didn't get the impression that they cared much about the "Voucher" crowd.

If I ever start shooting more than just a few times a year, I'll invest in some better looking glasses. 

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

Fellows – the search is over....

Below are pictured the ultimate period safety eyewear for shoots, a holy grail of sorts: a pair of period safety glasses matching the description of "Schweizer's English Eye Protectors" as shown on page 159 of the 1886 "Peck & Snyder Price List of Out & Indoor Sports and Pastimes" catalog (reprinted in 1971 by the Pyne Press).

The originals I bought are tied together with regular cotton string that appears to have employed at some point after the original cord had rotted away or had otherwise had become unserviceable. I'll replace this with elastic cord.

The period safety glasses were procured earlier this week at an antique mall in Berlin, Ohio and were found by my lovely lady Maria when she and I were looking for goodies. She knows I'm always looking for period correct safety glasses, amongst a litany of other things, and spotted them before I did. Thanks to her keen eyes and attention to detail I can employ a period correct, documented pair from at least 1886 with only minor restoration work. And thanks to the period catalog reference I can use them with confidence that they are period to the Victorian era.

These period correct (at least to 1886) safety goggles are a great example on how research can support our efforts toward more historical accuracy within NCOWS.

Documentation from 1886

Picture of period safety goggles as purchased

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com