Birdseye Maple Grips

Started by Alabama, August 30, 2008, 10:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alabama

Here are my new Birdseye Maple grips for the Remington Old Silver Engraved 1858 . They are still curing before final coats of finish , this is at 66 coats today . The synthetic my Pappy and I use is our own make up , lots of nasty chemicals , all man made chemicals though , so it technically  is an organic  , but its allot Zylene , Naptha , acetone , ethers bases etc , plus our special base clear that is our trade secret alone . When it gets wet or oily it gets sticky to your hand , like a squweegy to glass , or suction cup if you will , very nice stuff .
It dries to near nothing each coat and I can lay 3 coats in half an hour to touch dry , so I can build up a set of grips to nearly 1/16" depth or more or less in a matter of a few days . Takes two weeks to final cure but is tough as nails , and if it gets scratched , you just knock it down with 400 grit paper , and spray three coats and your good to go . And no you can't have our recipe  ;D
This is what good Birdseye looks like , note the tiny eyes , that's hard to find in wood and it comes at a premium when you buy a blank trust me .
These will look great on the Engraved 1858 and will post when I get them done, but they are getting at least 100 coats so it will be a week before I can install them .

Alabama

Riot Earp

Very nice, 'Bama, as always. Make sure you post a pic of the grips on the gun in the Guns of the Darksiders thread!

Alabama

Thanks Riot Earp ,
and of course I will post the pic over on the Dark Side pic spread threade when they are done .  ;D
I think this one is going to be a real show stopper up against the nice engraving on the Old Silver Frame , for sure . I already dry fit them twice and they do look rather special on the gun , oh my .  :D

Alabama

Riot Earp

Alabama

Damn , that is nice work .

Alabama

Ransom Gaer

Riot Earp,

I remember that thread.  At the time I was thinking of regripping my Remingtons and she offered me some wood.  Got sidetracked at the time and never took here up on the offer.

Alabama,  those maple grips are turning out nice.  I'll be interested to see what they look like on the Remington.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Riot Earp

Unfortunately, she seems to have disappeared. She was really gifted at gripmaking.

Ransom Gaer

That's too bad she's dissappeared and like you say she was very good at what she did.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com