Need Help on using the D447 Tandy stamp

Started by Ace Lungger, August 23, 2008, 08:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

:) howdy pards, I have seen that there have been some of you pards that do use the D447 stamp, it took me a will to learn the proper use on a strait line, BUT :o I have no clue if you can do a corner or a curve? If it is possable I would be great full for the how to? Remember I pretty slow on learning, I can make a curved bottom and put a pear (thats what I call the tip in the middle, but you would have to make a Righht and left, so if there is a way to do it with the 447 stamp PLEASE HELP ??? ??? :o

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Just follow the curve as best you can. It'll look fine. If the curve is too tight, follow with a bevel along the swivel knife cut line afterwards. You'll never notice any slight mis-alignment along the edge. As to spacing, just average that out. Practice with a few scraps for a while until you see how it goes.

Here's how I do a corner:

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ace Lungger

:)MW,
I knew I had saw some holster that you had used that tool. I have had it for 3 months and only plated a little with it, but I sat down the other day and told my self i was going to learn how to use it so it look like it is to look!!

Thank, thank you, thank you!!

ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

That was just a sample piece I made one day. Here's what the holster looks like. I think this might be the one you saw.

Ace Lungger

:)Yes Sir MW,
That is the one I saw! It inspirerd me to use it on my WG Pattern Dodge City Rig! I am going to start on it here sometime next week.
This new medication they have me on sure helps me sleep, but it has takin a lot of spark out of me! It realy makes me tyer real easy! And aso effect my short term memories!

Thank you so much for the help!
Package will be on the way Tomorrow, you should have by Wensday, injoy ;D ;D
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Looking forward to seeing how you use it.

I'll put those nuts to good use. Thanks.

Ace Lungger

:)MW, You are welcome and I know you will!! Thanks for the tips on the stamp! I have owned 3 months and I am going to use it!
Later Greg
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboywc

Howdy Ace
Here are a couple of pix of the meander stamp borders I've done.
I also have a pdf file of a tutorial I did on how to use the stamps. It is a large file so if anyone wants it I will
e-mail it off list.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

cowboywc

Howdy
Here is a pix of a new meander stamp I just got. It didn't work. Large narrow stamp.
I'm not sure where it will work and look good. I'll post another pix when the holster is done.
WC

Don101

Hi WC you could use it on the border of spur strap circles

Ace Lungger

:) WC,
i thank you a lot, and those pic's were AWESOME and I thank you for showing them to me and every one else, I sent you a pm!

Don, I like the design of the spur straps, and when I get the nerve up to carve I plan on starting on spur stamps, i have 3 sets of spurs I would like to put straps on!

Thanks to all
ace
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

knucklehead

WC nice work as allways.

i sent you a pm for the meander pdf file as well.

one question,

did you use a basket weave stamp on the black holster?
it sure looks like you stamped every other square with a very small basket weave stamp.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

cowboywc

Howdy Knucklehead
You are correct. As far as I know it's the smallest basketweave stamp ever made. It was custom made by
Bob Beard.
WC

Gun Butcher

CWC,  I got the file, many thanks pard.  GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

HorsePen Henry

Hi Don,

Which stamp is that? I like that look and have seen it on other old time straps. The rosette part. I would like to duplicate that look as well. Thanks for sharing that picture.

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

As ong as we're taliking meander stamps, there's one I made a while back that's a double meander. I haven't found the right place to use it, but that will happen. The size is a little over 3/8" so the finished meander is about 1/2" wide. I also made a bigger one. That one may take a saddle to have a good place to use it. I banged this out on a scrap this morning and scanned it in. The transition needs some thought yet.

knucklehead

WC,
got the file, thanks. one question i have that you didn't address in your pdf(might have overlooked it), do you use the swivel knife to cut the borders for the stamp or do you use the wing dividers?

Marshal Will,
nice stamp design. the pattern looks good to me.
ever consider making some of those special stamps to sell?

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: knucklehead on August 27, 2008, 10:37:58 AMnice stamp design. the pattern looks good to me.
ever consider making some of those special stamps to sell?
Thanks, knucklehead. I've thought about making them but the amount I'd have to charge would be way more than they'd be worth. If I had some equipment other than a set of files and a box of bolts, it might be different.

Ace Lungger

??? ??? Okay Dumby here dooesn't know what (meander) means ::) ??? I havn't seen it used before, and i have seen it used 3-4 times on this post but I don't have a clue of what the word means or is it a type of stamp or what???

I would be most great full for some one to answer that for me!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Gun Butcher

Ace meander means not a straight line, as in a curvy road is said to meander thru the countryside.

MW, that transition looks good to me. How it would work on a sharp curve might be a real head scratcher ;D But then I know about as much about it as the dog that chases a car ::)  GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com