Sheriff's Special Arrived Today

Started by Capt. John Fitzgerald, August 23, 2008, 04:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Today I picked up the Sheriff's Special that I ordered last Monday.  It is everything we have come to expect from USFA in regards to fit and finish so there is really no need to elaborate on that.
The elongated cylinder pin, while I really don't see the need for it, is finely checkered and nicely done.  The knurled head cylinder pin screw is very similar to those I have seen on original, black powder frame Colts.  The "US" stamp on the left side of the frame, next to the patent dates, is an unobtrusive, but attractive, addition and something that I hope USFA continues to do.  The CCH Bisley hammer really sets this gun apart.  Personally, I find it a very attractive, and practical, addition to the Sheriff's model.  These guns were the original, large caliber, "hideout" guns and the lower profile of the Bisley hammer accommodates this purpose well.  The elongated cylinder flutes, while really not a "stand out" item, also serve to make this model unique.  If they had made this gun with a 4" barrel it would have been perfect!  54% of the original Colts were made with 4" barrels.  It was the most popular barrel length.  3" barrel models were a distant third at 4%.
Now, about the grips.  I like 'em!  As suspected, they are not Tru-Ivory - more along the lines of the ultra-ivory or ivory polymer grips offered by Eagle and Ajax.  There is no grain to them and the "aged" color is quite similar to some 20+ year old elephant ivory grips that I have.  They are fit perfectly to the gun and are quite attractive.  Personally, I do not care for the laminated grain look that you get from Tru-Ivory.  I currently have six SAA's with elephant ivory grips and have yet to see a set of Tru-Ivory grips that truly replicated the grain patterns of real ivory.  Given the choice of "US Ivory," at no extra charge, over Tru-Ivory, at an additional $250, I would take the US grips any time.  Just my personal opinion.
On a final note, the hammer spring is heavy!  I installed a Wolff main spring and it has made a world of difference.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

North Bender

Thanks for the writeup Capt.  Although I can't get past a 3-inch barrel, any offering from USFA would be nice to own.  Quite a collection you continue to grow.

Grogan

Looks like I joined this club now also...

I'm still working on my small caliber SAAs, but for the time being I'll play with this.

I just got finished changing out the Main and Trigger/Bolt Springs just before I snapped this pic.

My range report will come next. (hopefully soon)

Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Nice photography work!  Very professional looking.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

IT KIDD

yep, nice mine came, of the orginal 50 made i got us 0006. called and custon shop sent at no charge a colt style letter ( my b.p. frame 3rd gen colt letter $100.)  unfired, cylinder not turned, think keep it this way for now!! it kidd

mike454

Would it be possible for one of you owners to post a picture with the hammer cocked. I'm just trying to get an idea of what kind of hold you can get on the gun VS a standard hammer. Thanks

Grogan

Quote from: mike454 on October 04, 2008, 07:19:55 PM
Would it be possible for one of you owners to post a picture with the hammer cocked. I'm just trying to get an idea of what kind of hold you can get on the gun VS a standard hammer. Thanks

Yeah, I'm guessing it would...

I snapped this photo at the same time I was taking other pics of my new USFA SAA in .32-20 so I set this up so you could see the difference. ;)

Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

mike454

Thanks, not as much of a difference as I would have thought. Looks like you can still get a fairly high grip with the bisley hammer. Thanks again for the picture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com