Huge Rattlesnake!

Started by RattlesnakeJack, August 23, 2008, 04:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RattlesnakeJack

Well, I don't know if this is one of those pictures which has been circulating forever .... but it is the first time I've seen it, so thought I'd share it with all you pards. 

It is captioned in the forwarded e-mail I received as being 9 feet, 1 inch in length, weighing 97 lbs, and having been taken east of Helena, Montana, near Canyon Ferry Lake .....

Now obviously the old "anglers trick", of holding a fish closer to the camera lens to make it appear larger, is operating here .... but this is still one BIG snake!

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Dr. Bob

This is certainly the way to meet a rattler of that size.  Wouldn't want to come across him up close and buzzing! ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Delmonico

Big one, not sure it's quite than long, picture has been around a while. :)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Wymore Wrangler

See that picture several years ago, and it was supposely taken in western Nebraska in that one...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Forty Rod

Got bit by one that size.  After several days of intese pain, delerium, weight lose, and morbid flesh loss the poor dang thing finally died.   :o
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Texas Lawdog

That picture lookd like it was taken at an abandoned booster station. It could be Neb., Kansas, Okla. or even the Texas Panhandle. I have seen them on the ranch almost that big.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Tensleep

First time I saw that picture the caption said it was found out around Big Spring Tex.

BIG snake ennyway ya look at it.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Pitspitr

Heck Jack when I saw the title I thought you was talking about yourself. You're somewhere around 9' tall ain't ya?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Delmonico

Ain't anywhere in Newbrassky unless someone imported the snake, that's a Diamondback, and from the terrain I'd say the Western type.  We ain't got them here, Western Newbrassky has Prairie Rattler's, but 4 foot is big, Eastern Newbrassky has Massagua's, 3 foot is giant and the wooded areas along the Missouri has the Timber type, but maybe 6 ft on them. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Howdy Doody

Quote from: Forty Rod on August 24, 2008, 12:35:18 AM
Got bit by one that size.  After several days of intese pain, delerium, weight lose, and morbid flesh loss the dang thing finally died.   :o

heh, heh. It is believable folks, trust me.  ;D
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Delmonico

Quote from: Forty Rod on August 24, 2008, 12:35:18 AM
Got bit by one that size.  After several days of intese pain, delerium, weight lose, and morbid flesh loss the poor dang thing finally died.   :o

Quote from: Howdy Doody on August 24, 2008, 12:31:13 PM
heh, heh. It is believable folks, trust me.  ;D

I'm surprised it took that long, must have been a tough snake. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Crooked River Bob

Howdy

I looked 'er up on the Snopes.com website, and sure enough, this rattler has made the rounds:  Big Rattlesnake

Scroll on down and read the whole page.  They discuss the provenance and accuracy of the photo.  There's also a recipe for fried rattlesnake.

However, there is no doubt that this is a big snake, and it makes a great picture.  I had not seen it before.  Thanks for posting, Rattlesnake Jack!

... and Forty Rod, you gave me my first good laugh of the day.  Thanks, bubba!

Crooked River Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

El Peludo

:o :o ;)
That's one big rat-o-leer buzzworm, no matter how ya' try to shake it out.  Not too many ever get that size, and for sure, that one appears to be a Pacific or some sort of Western Diamondback Rattlesnake; they do get pretty big.  Saw one in southern Oregon that was some over six feet, biggest one I've ever seen.  Most of our southwestern buzzers never get longer than about three to five feet.  Now, some of them other kind o' snakes in the world, well  :o :o :o ;) ;D
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Buckskin Ben

Seen that snake 'bout a hundred times.
Buckskin Ben

Daniel Nighteyes

Heck, y'all ain't SEEN a big snake 'til ya come acrosst one o' those Alabama Timber Rattlers. One time my friend Broussard seen one stretched out acrosst th' road, 'n decided ta run over it wit' his pulpwood truck.   Didn' work out too good, nope, 'cause de truck high-centered on dat snake an' got hung up.

Ol' Timber Rattler wuz plumb mad at Broussard, yessir, 'cause he done ruint his afternoon nap.  Snake throwed a coil aroun' da truck, squeezed it a mite, an' proceeded ta swallow it -- pulpwood 'n all.  Broussard jest barely got out in time!

::) ::) ::)

Deadeye Dick

I don't think he could lift a 97 pound anything the way he is holding the snake. Big snake though.
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com