A question for Will Ghormley

Started by Forty Rod, August 23, 2008, 01:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forty Rod

Is there any chance you'll ever make your oval buckles in German silver / nickel silver?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Marshal Will Wingam

Try his white bronze. It's almost the same color as nickel. Just a slight bit warmer in color but still not yellow.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Forty Rod

I already have two of the white bronze, but they don't match the conchoes on my holsters.  Minor thing that most folks probably won't notice, but it bugs me a bit.

FWIW, I wear one of them every day to hold my bitches up.  GREAT buckles.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Forty Rod

That's "britches".  "BRITCHES!!!"

Marshal Will Wingam

HorsePen Henry

Howdy boys, Will has a great website and has his buckles and holsters and patterns on there. I wanted to get 3 buckles here awhile back and something broke and their went the holdings from the sock in the drawer.  :-[

Anywhoosiers...........check this out:

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/

Beans and Tacos,
X Horse Pen

P.S.  Will has a new buckle a coming out here pretty soon if it ain't out already. It's a California clip point with all the fancy engravin' (those little wheat shocks) on it. That makes three styles in the collection that he is offering.
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: HorsePen Henry on August 26, 2008, 05:10:01 AMP.S.  Will has a new buckle a coming out here pretty soon if it ain't out already. It's a California clip point with all the fancy engravin' (those little wheat shocks) on it. That makes three styles in the collection that he is offering.
I've been thinking of making a framed display to put one of each of those three buckles on it. One where you could unbuckle them to use if you wanted. It would look really nice. It'd be fun to make, too.

Forty Rod

I'm really very happy with the two I have.  One, like I said, holds my pants up and the other will be on a gunbelt shortly.

I'll probably get one of the square cornered ones and a clip corner one, too.

santee

Are Will's wheat buckles 1880's or 1890's? The picture in Packing Iron doesn't tell the period.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

will ghormley

Hey Forty-Rod,

I've got 'em in Sterling Silver, (92.5% Silver) but they pretty pricy, even for fancy bitches.  You might try polishin' one of the White Bronzes.  I don't think there would be much difference between the White Bronze and a German Silver, (same thing as Nickle Silver).  If you've got your cap set on it, I could see how much it would be to have one special cast.

My computer hard drive died and I didn't get a computer back till late last night, so I 'aint been around.  I lost a lot of data, includin' who all wanted what for the clipped corner buckles, (which came in while the computer was down).  I'm still tryin' to get enough of the computer rebuilt so I can make digital photos, but leather carvin' is easier.  I'll post photos on my website as soon as I can figure out how to get this dad-blamed thing to work right!

As for what period the buckles are.  Packin' Iron don't say, but I would place the rig around WWI.  It could be from before the turn of the century, but the 19-teens or into the 20s would be my best guess.  However, I have seen the same level of embellishment on buckles that pre-date the United States.  'Course, most of them buckles was worn by pirates.  The vanity of the fightin' man knows no time limitations.  Men have ornamented themselves as long as there have been men.  Anyway, I'm gettin' off the topic.  The influance of the sea-fairin' traffic may be why the style sprang out of California.

I wouldn't pause to use the large rectagular buckle for an 1840s persona.  The clipped corner probably came before the oval, but I'm just guessin' about that.

Anyway, I'm still runnin' to catch-up from two weeks without a computer, so I'll talk to you folks later.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Forty Rod

Will, I appreciate the info.  I think I'll buff up one the White bronze buckles until it glistens.  Special run stuff usually costs enough to leave me breathless for ages.

Thanks. 

The rig should be done in about three more weeks and it will be period correct for my period!!!  1860 Army irons, a Henry or  1866 rifle, an east coast early 1800s tomahawk, and a worn out old mountain man's carry-all shoulder bag.

What period is that, you may ask?  About September 2008, I'd guess.  ;D

Thanks again. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com