New dye in progress! Pic's have been posted

Started by Ace Lungger, August 18, 2008, 07:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun Butcher

Okay I guess it's done . It Looks and feels like a thin syrup now so I will leave it at that and get started on some holsters to try it on.  Just trying to figure out what would look best with my pistolas. Maybe I will keep it plain and simple this time around. As you said Marshall a simple border can be very effective in the right setting.   GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ace Lungger

:)GB,
Get something done and stain it( I assume you mean wipe on?) i want to see how it looks. I thought about the corn strach to, but my wife said the same thing that MW did! I sure hope someone does figure it out, I would like a wipe on homemaid dye!

Keep us up to date!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Gun Butcher

here they are the first test pieces of wipe on pecan dye. This was done with a wool dauber and is one application on each piece.

From top to bottom:
1. Pecan dye

2.  Pecan with Tandy antique reducer

3. 1 part tandy antique brown

4.  1 part fiebings ox blood  -  5 parts pecan

I have not tried more than one application or soaking as of right now but i will.  Let me know what you think. I won't give an opinion now but will wait for your  imput.
                                                             Gun Butcher
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Marshal Will Wingam

I think the wipe-on pecan (#1) is a really nice color. Warm and rich-looking. Certainly more color than my walnut dye used as a wipe-on. Thanks for the comparison.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Marshal Will Wingam

I'm going on day two of cooking up those pecans you sent, Ace. They simmered for about 3 hours yesterday. I have to head out right now but they've been simmering for a couple hours already and I'll start them again when I return later on. We'll see how it does.

Marshal Will Wingam

OK, here's part of the test scrap I posted the other day with the double meander on it. It was in the pecan dye for 48 hours. I pulled it out and dried it without putting it in the sun to see what I'd get. I like it a lot. I'm experimenting now with 6 hours and some sun tanning to see what that does. Here's the one with the meander:

I rotated this photo around so it would look right. The scanner puts the light source from the bottom so the pieces look like a reverse 3-D image. Next time I scan something, it'll be upside down since it'll have to be rotated anyway. Of course, there is no upside down on a scrap but something with writing or a stamp would look wierd.

Marshal Will Wingam

OK, so here's the result. 6 hours in the soup and 1 in the sun. This color is exactly what I've been looking for. Many thanks for the pecans, Ace. I'll post a photo of the holster after it's done.

Ace Lungger

:)MW,
That is mighty fine looking! I am awaiting the completed holster ;D I am glad that it worked for you as you wanted! It makes me fill good to give back to the people on this forum that have helped me so much!

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

OK, here's the finished holster. It was in the dye 20 hours and got an hour in the sun. For some reason, this piece didn't take the dye as readily as the scraps. They're from different hides. I like the color and with the other one, it looks just off enough to give the look I want. The pecan dye is on the left one and the walnut dye (with steel wool and russet) on the other. The holster pattern is the same but they're finished out differently. The stamping designs are as close as I could get them to the original photos. I had to use a hand made stamp for this one also. At that, I was trying to emulate a roll stamp that was on the original. This photo was taken as the sun was dropping behind the hills. I'll get one with better lighting to post on the "Show us yer stuff" thread when I can.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

;D ;D ;D :D ;) :o Marshal Will by cracky, I think you have a handle on this , Nice color on both, and your holsters look great too, and I like your pettern on both, nice clean lines, the one on the left with the pecan looks like it is butt forward , I'm gotten to where I like like this position, it seems too be much more user friendly, and besides I'm not doing the quick draw thing anymore anyway.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on September 07, 2008, 10:01:29 PM;D ;D ;D :D ;) :o Marshal Will by cracky, I think you have a handle on this , Nice color on both, and your holsters look great too, and I like your pettern on both, nice clean lines, the one on the left with the pecan looks like it is butt forward , I'm gotten to where I like like this position, it seems too be much more user friendly, and besides I'm not doing the quick draw thing anymore anyway.
Thanks, pard. I'm aiming for a set where every piece fits with the rest yet still looks like it was assembled one item at a time. You could use the pecan one as a butt-forward holster but it's intended use is as a left strong side. Both will be worn together for CAS matches.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com