Spencer Carbine For Sale 56/50 with new relined Romano barrel ***SOLD***

Started by red leg, August 13, 2008, 09:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red leg

For sale (Armi Sport) Taylor's Spencer Carbine 56/50 with new Romano lined barrel, fine condition $1200.00 plus postage.  Will send to your FFL.

Redleg  [love my Spencer -- ordered a 56/50 rifle from Taylor's - now i need to pay for it.

Deadeye Don

So you are selling your Taylors Spencer in 56/50 to purchase a Taylors Spencer in 56/50?? ???
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Appalachian Ed

It looks like he is selling a carbine, to buy a rifle.

-Ed
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Deadeye Don

Fox Creek Kid

IMPORTANT question: does the Romano lined Spencer take the factory Starline 56-50 case or the more costly special brass?  ???

Two Flints

Red Leg,

What are you shooting through your Romano Lined barrel on your Armi Sport Spencer.  Maybe loading info would be of value in trying to sell it ;D ;D

Great comment, Fox Creek Kid  ;) ;) regarding which brass type that will work in the new barrel.

Two Flints.

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

red leg

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on August 15, 2008, 01:02:47 PM
IMPORTANT question: does the Romano lined Spencer take the factory Starline 56-50 case or the more costly special brass?  ???

Fox Creek Kid,

Yes, my Spencer carbine 56/50 with new Romano barrel liner, takes the standard Starline brass. I have shot the modified Lee, the Lyman .512, the Romano bullets and the Rapine bullets. They all shoot good, but I like the modified Lee and the lyman the best. On powder load .32 gr. of Swiss 1 1/2, cardboard wade & SPG lube.   I will be keeping all my moulds and brass for my Spencer Rifle. This carbine has been shot very little; it does have a few dings in the stock from normal usage. You have 14 days to inspect, if not satisfied your money will be returned.

Red Leg

Deadeye Don

I am curious.  What is the reason an Armi Sport Spencer would need to have a barrel relined?

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteI am curious.  What is the reason an Armi Sport Spencer would need to have a barrel relined?

I will assume barrel twist, as the Armisport has an approx. 1 in 24" rate and Romano uses a 1 in 48" twist as I remember him (Larry Romano) telling me. Maybe App. Ed will chime in here as he's the "go to" fella for Romano questions. Ed?  ???

Appalachian Ed

I doubt my answer will be popular, buy MANY people have and are having Romano Rifle Co. Reline the Italian Spencer to get then to shoot accurately. You can also shoot pure lead bullets with his deep cut rifling. I know of one sutler when has sent them a dozen barrels at a time to have liners installed.

The Italian tube is fine for targets right in front of your face like the CAS folks shoot, but it is not competitive at 100 yds.

The same is true for the Henry's. Any Henry team doing well is shooting guns with Hoyt or Romano Liners.

-Ed
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteI doubt my answer will be popular...

Ed, your answer sounds right to me.  ;)  The twist rate is all wrong on the factory Armisport for a stubby little 350 gr. bullet to have great accuracy at a distance.

red leg

Appal. Ed ----- is correct and i was the guy that had several new tailor barrels and my Spencer barrel also relined  by ROMANO . I will sell the extra barrels for $180 pluse  $12 shipping.  Red Leg

SGT John Chapman

Red Leg,......If this Carbine is still for sale can you send me some pictures,......( shaneuphoff@charter.net  )

Thanks,......
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

red leg

Sgt John Chapman--My Spencer carbine is still forsale . It has seen very little use ,has a few little nicks in the stock , it is in excellent condition and comes in the original hard case,. Iam not skilled enought to send pictures .  If you're not satisfied ,you my return it within two weeks for a refund . --Red Leg

Hoot-3rd Ga

I found this out in the early days of shooting Armisport's Spencer carbine. The problem I had was the chamber was too large to seal the brass cases when a properly sized bullet was loaded.  It was not an issue at close range, but impossible to group tightly at 50 and 100 yds. I had mine relined by Hoyt with a custom reamed chamber for the Starline case and a .516 Lyman bullet. It shoots great now.  However, I prefer the heavier balance of the rifle, so mine might also be for sale once I get the rifle. I've got to get it approved by the SAC of the N-SSA and test it first. No sense giving up a good one until the replacement proves as good or better.    Hoot

SGT John Chapman

Red Leg,....I'll talk more with you tomorrow if that's good with you, I'm headed out the door to work in a couple of minutes.
I have to cancel my order through Taylor's but my FFL said that was really no problem. 

SGT Chapman
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

Hoot-3rd Ga

I had the first versions of the Armisport Spencer cal. 56-50 relined, but the 5 Uberti Henrys in 44-40 I've had dealings with over a 20 year period were the most accurate out of the box black powder cartridge guns I have ever seen for offhand shooting at 50 and 100 yds. The last one I owned and sold to E.Flint on the 14th Miss. would pick off silver dollar sized tile frags at 50 yds. without too much effort. When he did it first time behind the trigger, he had to own it......I sold it and became a full time.....life time....diehard  Spencer shooter.     Hoot

SGT John Chapman

Red Leg,....Just wondering if we could see about working a deal out via E-Mail.....I'll be in and out all afternoon
shaneuphoff@charter.net
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

SGT John Chapman

Sent you an E-Mail Red leg,....Still wondering if you got it,....
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

SGT John Chapman

I'll take it and I sent you another E-Mail....

Thanks,....
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com