A famous group picture

Started by Henry4440, August 13, 2008, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry4440

This is a famous group picture from the Old West. At least following people are noticed from this picture:
Railroad member, Wyatt Earp, Teddy Roosevelt, Doc Holliday, Virgil Earp, Jeremiah Johnson, Butch Cassidy, Sundance Kid,
2 railroad members, Bat Masterson, Judge Roy Bean and Ben Greenough.

But, heres is an enlargement of the picture with another list of people in it:

Famous Hunters at Hot Springs, Montana 1883
1 unidentified, 2 Wyatt Earp, 3 Teddy Roosevelt, 4 Doc Holiday (John Henry) 5. Morgan Earp 6. Liver Eating Johnson, 7. Butch Cassidy (George Parker) 9. Sundance Kid (Harry Langebaugh?) 10. Bat Masterson, 11.unidentified, 12. Harry Brittan, 13. unidentified, 12. Judge Roy Bean 13. Ben Greenough

Anyone who knows more about this pic?

;)

River City John

I would suspect the accuracy of all those identifications. Butch would have been, what, 17 years old in that pic, Sundance 16. They most likely did not meet until after that date of 1883.
Sure looks like a portly Teddy, and appears older than the 25 years old he would have been in 1883.

What more is known about this image?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Deadeye Don

Having all those famous people in a group picture does seem a bit too good to believe.   I would like to know more about it also.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Mogorilla

True West magazine had an article about this pic maybe a year ago.   Hopefully someone has kept theirs, I just gutted my old magazines to make room for books.   

Delmonico

I'veseen thatpicture with some of them and some others listed as taken in Tombstone. :)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Early Graves

Scratch Morgan Earp off the list.He was killed on March 18,1882.

River City John

Judge Roy Bean had just moved to his new site of Langtry to squat on railroad land in Dec. 1882 and commenced building his 'Jersey Lilly', and sent for his family in 1883 to join him. And 1884 saw him campaigning to get reelected to his Justice of the Peace-ship.
I think he was a bit too busy to be off galavanting in Montana during that time. If all you owned was staked on land you were 'squatting' on, chances are one did not leave on pleasure excursions.

http://www.ferncanyonpress.com/tombston/wyatt/montana.shtml

Here is a bit clearer picture of this image. The person on this site notes that this same image has cropped up over the years with at least four different sets of names identifying the men in this image.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Dr. Bob

Well it's obvious to me that the fellow standing second from the left is our own Books O'Toole! :o ;D  Not quite sure how he got to Montana in 1883, but that sure is him!! ::) ::) ;D :D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Deadeye Don

RCJ,   Thanks for the website link.  There are other very interesting pictures and possible fakes on the site too.  Good information.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

piebiter

Yes thanks for the link River City John...very interesting. :)

Texas Lawdog

Bro. Bob, I think you're right, It looks like Bro. Books.  That just goes to show you what clean livin' will do for you.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Books OToole

Quote from: Dr. Bob on August 15, 2008, 12:53:55 AM
Well it's obvious to me that the fellow standing second from the left is our own Books O'Toole! :o ;D  Not quite sure how he got to Montana in 1883, but that sure is him!! ::) ::) ;D :D

:-[ No one was supposed to recognize me with out my duster.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Texas Lawdog

Bro. Books,  You would be recognized in the dark as well as in the light.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Coal Creek Griff

As I recall, the True West article pretty much debunked the identifications in the photo...

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Books OToole

Quote from: Coal Creek Griff on August 15, 2008, 12:00:46 PM
As I recall, the True West article pretty much debunked the identifications in the photo...

CC Griff

Of course they did.  I ain't Wyatt Earp.  ::)

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Henry4440

So, the only guy we know for sure is Mr.Books OToole?
;)

shrapnel

This photo has been painstakingly researched and found to be fake as to the claim of all the famous people in it.

This link is well worth the visit...http://www.huntershotsprings.com
I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Dakota Widowmaker

Quote from: shrapnel on September 23, 2008, 10:01:57 PM
This photo has been painstakingly researched and found to be fake as to the claim of all the famous people in it.

This link is well worth the visit...http://www.huntershotsprings.com

Yup... it's a real photo, for sure. But, those people listed as being in it never happened.

TR's travels are VERY well documented and he never mentions that location once in all his travels. He had JUST started his trip to the Badlands in September of 1883 and was home in NY by the end of the month ... http://www.theodorerooseveltcenter.com/Book_TR_Guide_Essays.asp

Sorry folks, the "legend" at the bottom of the photo is just that ... simply a Legend.

Pitspitr

Quote from: Dr. Bob on August 15, 2008, 12:53:55 AM
And danged if the Sundance Kid ain't holding my scoped sharps! ;D
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com