Author Topic: 1851 First Model Question  (Read 3844 times)

Alabama

1851 First Model Question
« on: August 09, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »
Hi Yall,
trying to find the answer to this but keep comming up with mixed history lessons and facts as they are inmy research . Granted , this is just for my owne knowledge so I would like to know the reality of correct years and models is all....

Question is, is the square back trigger guard models of the 1851 with silver palting over the brass like the Signature Series Colts made, the original model 1851 , and was this for civilians or the miltary or both ?
I have also seen samples of orginals that had no silver plating but still square back trigger guards and they were refered to as the London models ??? What is up with this ??? I also noticed Dixie Gun Works has a London model that is the a square back trigger guard, all in brass ? So I am wondering a bit about that model and why the 1st model here in the states was silver plated brass and why was the supposed or true Londons squareback like the 1st model and then not silver plated also ???
Which is which and why ?
Also I notice there is a model tha thas a round trigger guard and is silver palted too, so which model is this and why ???

Thanks, but I am very confused if you couldn;t already tell and I cannot find the real answers to this in anything I have looked up , so I needed to ask the pros, YOU ...

Alabama

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: 1851 First Model Question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »
Question is, is the square back trigger guard models of the 1851 with silver palting over the brass like the Signature Series Colts made, the original model 1851 , and was this for civilians or the miltary or both ? 
I have also seen samples of orginals that had no silver plating but still square back trigger guards and they were refered to as the London models ??? What is up with this ??? I also noticed Dixie Gun Works has a London model that is the a square back trigger guard, all in brass ? So I am wondering a bit about that model and why the 1st model here in the states was silver plated brass and why was the supposed or true Londons squareback like the 1st model and then not silver plated also ???
Which is which and why ?
Also I notice there is a model tha thas a round trigger guard and is silver palted too, so which model is this and why ???

Thanks, but I am very confused if you couldn;t already tell and I cannot find the real answers to this in anything I have looked up , so I needed to ask the pros, YOU ...

The silver plated square backed trigger guards were for both Mil and Civilian.

London models had brass and iron BS/TG.

The round, silver plated triggergaurd breakdown is listed on the chart.

This chart from Nathan Swayze's book '51 Colt Navies' might help - or confuse you more. 

Sufficed to say, the '51 Navy came in many different configurations between 1851 and 1872.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 01:11:16 AM »
Both Italian repros and 3rd gen Signature Series Colts will confuse the picture.  Signature Colt Navies have large squareback guards, but original Colts had small squareback guards, and the first round guards were also small.  (The above chart supports this)The later larger round guard also allowed a longer trigger (or the small guard required a shorter trigger, your call.)

The second gen Cot Navies had proper small squareback guards.  The 2nd gen Colts were pretty authentic to the type and models, the 3rd gen Signature Series were not, having features not used by Colt as well as missing features that should have been there, including improper stamped lettering sizes, lack or presence of cap guides, the shape of the ball cut in the barrel lug, it goes on..  The "silver" on the 3rd gen guns looks more to be nickel than silver, as well.

The Italians have added models that never existed and other changes that muddy the waters as to what was authentic.

Fingersmcgee's mention of the good book on the 51 Navies is worth finding to clarify things.  Author is Nathan L. Swayze,, the title is "'51 Colt Navies", published by Gun Hill Publishing Co., Yazoo City, Mississippi, (in 1967?) and reprinted by THE GUN ROOM PRESS, Highland Park, N.J. 08904 in 1993.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:15:34 PM »

Alabama

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 05:32:00 AM »
Thanks , mystery solved  ;D
Good book to have I am thinking , will order it up soon so I can stop asking questions  ;D
Appears to be $59.00 most everywhere I checked .
The 1851 was the first black powder revolver I ever shot ( I was 13 , now moldy in my 40's )  so it holds a special something in my heart for that . It has always been my top pick , until I bought an 1861  ;D . But, now that I have the new Uberti 1851 London Steel , I can't really say that anymore  ???
I have my Zebra Wood grips near done for the London , they are in finish spray mode right now . Should have some pics in a day or two for ya all . Gonna have to send a picture to the Smithsonian of them , " just kidding " , but they came out beyond just nice . Probably my best work I ever done , and on this Model Colt they look rather incredible . Sam Colt would be smiling and maybe he is  ;D What a fine weapon .

Thanks again .

Alabama

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:35:02 AM »
Alabama, the Texas Ranger Dispatch magazine http://www.texasranger.org/dispatch/MasterIndex/dispatch%20Index%202005.htm
has a very interesting article "The Colt Navy" by David Stroud that I would recommend reading as well.

Alabama

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »
Thanks, Will do !

Alabama

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »
Swayze's book doesn't touch on the Second Generation '51 Navies - at the time of initial publication, they were 'just' being built.

Dennis Adler's various books on modern blackpowder weapons deal with the Second Generation weapons that will letter to the Colt factory as well as the Third Generation 'Signature Series' that won't.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
2nd Gen Reference
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 10:50:13 AM »
If you want a book on 2nd Gens, Dennis Russel's 'Percussion Colt Revolvers - The Second Generation - Collectors Handbook & Price Guide #4 (2007)' is the book to buy.  It includes a little info on Sig Series Colt's also.

Jared Press
4401 Shallowford Road
Suite 162-220
Roswell, GA  30075

or chain-fire@earthlink.net

FIngers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com