Does The Holy Black `n` That `Heathen Stuff `mix......

Started by Paladin UK, August 07, 2008, 01:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin UK

OKaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

I have a pard coming to our shoot this month and he has asked iffn he can borrow my rifle.

Heres my question........

I shoot only BP and he shoots only that nasty smokeyless stuff, would it affect my rifle iffn BOTH BP and Nitro were shot through it one after the other, for about 5 stages??

I have heard that smokeyless lube `n` BP lube mixed is bad Kama :o

Paladin (What needs ta know  ??? ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Adirondack Jack

Here's yer trouble.  as ya know, BP likes soft, veggie based lube and oils.  it produces a lot of fouling, but it is soft and easily removable because the HOT burning BP melts and mixes with the oil, forming a soft sludge you can flush out readily.

Smokeless LUBE is generally hard and petroleum based.  It's OK for smokeless, but when it is in a gun that fired BP, the hot BP ignition turns a mix of fouling and hard lube into something resembling road tar that is very hard to remove.  Been there, ain't goin' back.

So, if'n yer pard wants to shoot yer BP rifle, I think the safest way to do so without a major excavation job to get it clean is to make sure he loads his smokeless rounds with soft lube compatible with BP.  Ya might still get a little "wierdness" from smokeless residue, but it won't be road tar.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Noz

I had a situation a year ago where my grandson and I were using the same rifle all summer long. Me with black he with fad powder. The first couple of times was a major puke until it dawned on me to run a wet patch (moosemilk) through the rifle between stages. End of problem.

Dick Dastardly

We are not incompatible, only original.  Our chosen propellant is simply 'more  proven'.  We will assimilate the unholy fad smokeyless heathen shooters.  But, we will be civil and magnanimous in our assimilation.  As the heathens are absorbed into our ranks, they will become disciples of the Darkside.

It may take eons, but we shall bring them to our side.

DD-DLoS ::)
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Wills Point Pete

I'm with Nozzlerag, a couple of patches will do the trick. One or two with moose milk and a dry patch and you will be fine.

Of course you could also supply a box or so of BP-stoked ca'tridges for the rifle and solve the problem, and, perhaps, gain a convert.

w44wcf

I have never had a problem alternating between the two. ;D  In my .44-40, the first round of smokeless after shooting b.p. typically lands a couple of inches high and to the right, but the following smokeless rounds impact in a nice group. Switching back to b.p. the bullets continue to impact under the sights. ;D  I use b.p. lube with b.p. and the NRA 50/50 (Alox/beeswax- soft) with the white powder.  The hard smokeless lubes may not be as compatable as AJ mentioned.

Have fun.
w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Dick Dastardly

Ho PUK,

If you are loadin' Big Lube™ boolits for your Holy Black, use the same bullets and lube for the heathen fad smokeyless nitro powder ammo.  The lube is the problem more than the mix of powders.  FWIW, I shoot BOTH heathen fad smokeyless AND Holy Black in the same cartridges.  It's called a 'Duplex' load.  No worries.  No problems.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Cuts Crooked

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on August 08, 2008, 09:54:21 AM

If you are loadin' Big Lube™ boolits for your Holy Black, use the same bullets and lube for the heathen fad smokeyless nitro powder ammo.  The lube is the problem more than the mix of powders.
DD-DLoS

Double D has it right. It's so much about the smokeless powder/Black Powder as it is about lube. I have shot some smokeless lubed with BP lubes, such as 50/50. At CAS velocities BP lubes will work fine with smokeless and will not create a mess when you go back to BP rounds.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Paladin UK

Thanks fer all yer input and replies pards ;)

Paladin (What `preciates yer innerest in his plight  ;) ) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com