Period correct safety eye glasses web site

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, August 05, 2008, 10:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Lawdog

Books, Some of us started out as appentice stone cutters.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Steel Horse Bailey

Books, ol' pard - as far as safety goes, I think we're gonna have to settle for  "less anachronistic." until we're off the firing line.

Quote from: Black Powder on August 09, 2008, 09:14:03 AM
What I can't abide by is the cost

I'm still lookin', still in need to improve on my look & safety, so please keep sharin'.

BP

I agree, totally.  No way in Hell could I even consider $200-$300 glasses to simply LOOK "sorta" correct!  I'm gonna have to stick with my $20 Wrapps or my $60 Gargoyles (clear, so it shows the least) that I can afford and are VERY safe top-bottom-sides.  And PLEASE don't say something stupid like "How much is your eyesight worth?" because if you can't afford it you can't afford it.

I don't know if the fact that I've been blessed with darn good eyesight and NOT needing ANY kind of vision "helpers" 'til the last few years makes a difference.  I get along fine with the cheapo Wally World reading glasses, because my arms aren't long enough anymore!  :D

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dutch Limbach

Quote from: Major 2 on August 09, 2008, 07:34:22 AM
you said "  This is the reason that most 19th Century spectacles seem to be too small. However, at that time even substantially big men wore these tiny frames and you link us to LENS SIZE AND FRAME WIDTH

No Major, I didn't say that. That is a direct quote from http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/19th-century-spectacles.html

If you like those glasses and want to spend $200+ on them you have my blessing. The motivation behind my initial reply from the get-go was, and still is, is to let anyone that might be mislead by the title of this thread, "Period correct safety eye glasses web site", know that the Round glasses mentioned have NOT been documented as "period correct".

Personally I don't care what eye protection other people wear, as long as they are wearing eye protection.

Quote from: Major 2 on August 09, 2008, 07:34:22 AM...We are emulating an era...

Yes we are, except,
•   Can anyone document 19th century citizens shooting metal targets while timed?
•   Can anyone document the plastic, computerized, beeping timer used to score a WAS/CAS match being in use prior to 1900?
•   Ballpoint pens used to record the scores prior to 1900?
There are some other things that I could add to this list, but I think I'd rather spend my time watching Women's Beach Volleyball on the Olympics. My point is during a match shooters are shooting in a fashion that is NOT "period correct." The match is being scored with a device that is NOT "period correct." And the scores are often recorded with a pen that is NOT "period correct."

Quote from: Major 2 on August 09, 2008, 07:34:22 AM...I mean , How many, are wearin X-large or size 44 plus gun belts... should we frown on those of us that are well ! .. portly because the avarage man was smaller or shorter in the 1800's...

There is documentation for both "portly" and "tall"

Grover Cleveland

Looks like he dined regularly

Then there is my girlfriend's relative Martin Van Buren Bates

Martin Van Buren Bates was born in Letcher County, Kentucky, in 1837. During the Civil War he served with the Confederacy as a Captain, and was the CSA's largest soldier at 7' 11" and 525 pounds.

Oddly enough, he wasn't the tallest one in his family.

His wife, Anna Hannon Bates was 8' 0" tall. Interestingly, the Bates' were married in London, and at the wedding Queen Victoria gave each of them a diamond studded gold watch that she had made to order to be in proportion to their height.

I trust this properly documents "tall" and "portly" people in the 1800s.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go watch some Olympic Women's Beach Volleyball on my computer.

And I'll be thankful that I have a healthy set of eyes to do so!!!! ;D ;D ;D
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

River City John

Quote from: Tjackstephens on August 09, 2008, 07:44:06 AM
Books, outlandish? I thought the KVC looked  GREAT in their mask. Sure made my day to see you all walk in with those mask on. Thank you all for doing it. (That was at the 08 National Shoot) TJ  :o

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Books OToole

Now if everbody wore a vigilance committee masks, nobody could tell what kind of glasses they were wearing.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Texas Lawdog

Those guys have a summertime gig at Sliver Dollar City in Branson.Mo.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Major 2

Quote from: Dutch Limbach on August 09, 2008, 03:22:58 PM
No Major, I didn't say that. That is a direct quote from http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/19th-century-spectacles.html

If you like those glasses and want to spend $200+ on them you have my blessing. The motivation behind my initial reply from the get-go was, and still is, is to let anyone that might be mislead by the title of this thread, "Period correct safety eye glasses web site", know that the Round glasses mentioned have NOT been documented as "period correct".

Personally I don't care what eye protection other people wear, as long as they are wearing eye protection.

Yes we are, except,
•   Can anyone document 19th century citizens shooting metal targets while timed?
•   Can anyone document the plastic, computerized, beeping timer used to score a WAS/CAS match being in use prior to 1900?
•   Ballpoint pens used to record the scores prior to 1900?
There are some other things that I could add to this list, but I think I'd rather spend my time watching Women's Beach Volleyball on the Olympics. My point is during a match shooters are shooting in a fashion that is NOT "period correct." The match is being scored with a device that is NOT "period correct." And the scores are often recorded with a pen that is NOT "period correct."

There is documentation for both "portly" and "tall"

Grover Cleveland

Looks like he dined regularly

Then there is my girlfriend's relative Martin Van Buren Bates

Martin Van Buren Bates was born in Letcher County, Kentucky, in 1837. During the Civil War he served with the Confederacy as a Captain, and was the CSA's largest soldier at 7' 11" and 525 pounds.

Oddly enough, he wasn't the tallest one in his family.

His wife, Anna Hannon Bates was 8' 0" tall. Interestingly, the Bates' were married in London, and at the wedding Queen Victoria gave each of them a diamond studded gold watch that she had made to order to be in proportion to their height.

I trust this properly documents "tall" and "portly" people in the 1800s.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go watch some Olympic Women's Beach Volleyball on my computer.

And I'll be thankful that I have a healthy set of eyes to do so!!!! ;D ;D ;D

OK you did not say it.. your wrote the link & quote

Once again the point of the thread has strayed... "The point is to add to the impression" not detract
sure steel plates, Elec.Timing devices, ball point pens are all detractions so are Sawhorses with saddles, false front shooting props,
Tennie Lamas , gun carts & even race guns or the Car , truck or other modern conveyance we arrive in....

As far as I'm concerned, a Calendar is fine to time with and it's PC  ;D
I'm only speaking of the Personal impression, not the state of the game as it is played.

I reenacted for nearly 30 years ( Mounted impressions included WBTS, TexMex & Texas Independance , Seminole War, Creek War )
I made/make a good living working on period films, with a eye for authenticy.
I'm not a thread nazi, or a equipment nazi  but I do believe, we can and should improve the Impression and that is why I lean toward NCOWS.
This discussion is healthy, and should help us , little by little improve our personal Impression.

If your research shows round is not correct, and oval is more PC then oval it should be... my issue is, was , and will be ..
Yellow plastic wraparound Polycarbonate glasses are way out of place in a personal impression..we can work to a better soluition.
Not argue
Granted , I don't intend to spend $200 plus, but I did post some links to options, and perhaps little by little we can improve the LOOK safely

BTW I was not saying Portly men did not exist ....
I said "How many, are wearin X-large or size 44 plus gun belts... should we frown on those of us that are well ! .. portly because the avarage man was smaller or shorter in the 1800's...

Another well documented LARGE Man was Maj. Johann August Heinrich Heros von Borcke at 6'4" 340 Lbs, was perhaps the largest Cavalryman.
He served on Stuart's Staff, Army of Northen Virginia, he carried a Prussian Broad Sword and is recorded to have cleaved more than one
Hapless Union Trooper in half !
But I degress, back to the issue of procuring PC eye protection

when planets align...do the deal !

Tjackstephens

RCJ, thanks for posting that picture! See I told you those guys looked great in their dusters and masks.

OCB, I ordered a clear set of glasses from Shadows of the West, hope they come this week. If they do I will bring them to JCR monthly shoot next Saturday. See you there. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Major 2

TJ

I ordered a smoke gray pair and texas Lawdog order both clear & smoke..we are also waiting for ours

Lawdog got an email saying the guy had a death in the family and orders would be send late, about mid last week..
neither LD nor I have seen our pair(s)

Tjackstephens

Major 2, I got the same e-mail. It also said they mail by US Mail on Tuesday and Friday. There is a chance we could get our glasses this week. Hope so, I would like to look a bit more correct and protect my eyes too. Let me know what you think of yours when they come. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Major 2

Hmm ..sounds some better.. he has not respond to my email and has had my MO nearly two weeks.

I'm not sweating the $15.90 ..it just I wanted to use them today...next week will have to do.
I think these will work until I find something better PC  ;)

Black Powder

Yesterday I went to the Log Cabin in Lodi, OH to make some noise & smoke.  Great place (http://www.logcabinshop.com/).  Bought some misc. necessities, including safety glasses.  Not period correct; clear wrap around, fit over my glasses.

The posts here made it clear to me that my everyday glasses, despite being wire rim and oval with safety lenses, are simply not safe enough.  The wraparounds were inexpensive and probably the wisest purchase I made, just ahead of the range fee.

I will continue to pursue something more PC, but thanks for the wake up call that I needed to do more than what I was doin'.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Major 2

Quote from: Tjackstephens on August 10, 2008, 08:44:05 AM
Major 2, I got the same e-mail. It also said they mail by US Mail on Tuesday and Friday. There is a chance we could get our glasses this week. Hope so, I would like to look a bit more correct and protect my eyes too. Let me know what you think of yours when they come. TJ

I got his email today 8/11 he said he was sending them out tomorrow Tues. ? 8/12 .... special delivery

Tjackstephens

Got an e-mail today that said my safety glasses were on the way. Hope I get them in time to use at the Johnson County Rangers shoot this Saturday. If I like them will try to get a smoke pair too. TJ

Major 2

Well today is Aug. 18 that is just 2 days short of 3 weeks, when the "GENT" recieved my Money Order
and 8 days past the date "HE" said he mailed them 1st. class insured ...funny the USPS tracking # he offered has no info as of today...
So I assume he is a Fraud !  >:( or worse

be very aware .... Shadows of the West ...http://www.shadowsofthewest.com  has done nothing to resolve the issue.  >:(

Like I said it's not the $15.90, it's the fact I suggested this guy and others may have been stiffed as well,
For that I am sorry  :-[

Deadeye Don

Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Texas Lawdog

Major and I ordered those glasses at the same time and I have received mine. We have been keeping in touch with each other. I am sorry he has not gotten his yet. I bought some brass at the same time and I have gotten it also.

Tjackstephens

Major 2, I got the same e-mail last Monday that said they were on the way. It's Monday again and no :( glasses. I am not giving up and hoping they will arrive. TJ  ::)

Major 2

Glad you got your pairs TL...  :)
He won't even respond to my emails and the automated USPS tracking # stated no known information
it's has said that for a week. >:(

TJ ...I was typing this when you responded, I have not given up  :-\ .....but I sure will not recommend his auction again.
I sent him one more email tonight

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com