Author Topic: Navy London 1851 Blued  (Read 13314 times)

Alabama

Navy London 1851 Blued
« on: August 04, 2008, 09:57:28 PM »
I posted this on the Dark side too, but for the Open Toppers that don't go there , here she is in all her glory .
Uberti's current production of the London in all blued furniture . Nice gun, jsut opened the box today , have yet to mess with her other than hold her .

This is the Zebra Wood blank I am using on her , its 8"x13"x 5/4" roughly , very nice peice for a very nice peice .

Enjoy ,
Sincerely, Alabama

Offline piebiter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Navy London 1851 Blued
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 07:29:10 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing her when she's finished.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 432
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 07:33:52 AM »
if you like the ivory look try American Holly on one of your next projrcts

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:36:52 PM »

Alabama

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 07:52:27 AM »
Piebiter,
your looking forward to seeing her when she's finished , how do you think I must feel  ;D
She went right from the box to my hands , then I ripped her apart gentle like already , didn't even shoot her first  :'(
Jap sawed the one peice grips in half to get my patterns for the Zebra wood and sarted drawing them on the Blank last night late . Hope to get some time tonight after I go work for someone else to make money for me to do more of this . It's a repetitive lifstyle , trust me .  ;D  But worth it in order to play allot .  ;D
If everything goes really well and I don't screw the grips up ( which definately happens ) I hope to be shooting this iron in a couple weeks . Doesn't take me long to make grips, maybe 5 to 10 hours depending on the wood and gun but its the curing time of my finish . I use synthetic ( don't even ask  ;D ) with no less than 50 coats to build up that mirror like depthy finish on what you've seen here . I like Flints 3rd gen with his Zebra , but with this very fancy blank and its grain patterns I cannot go with oils , they just don't look like they have depth . Plus I like a glossy finish on highly figured woods , and mine sticks to your hands like glue when wet and oily too , a must , especially for target shooting and this one will see some of that for sure.

Glad Uberti makes this Model now, it is kinda handsome , unlike me of course  ;D The 1851's sure fit nice in my hands though and this one is going to get the extra special treatment it's so good looking to start with . Can you say smooooooooth  ;D

Sincerley , Alabama

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:09:44 PM »
I posted this before, but it isn't here, so I'll try again.

If your Zebrawood grips look as good as other grips you've shown, they will be very nice.  Take care, Zebrawood chips/checks easily when you're cutting it.

I like the London Navy as well, the blued gripframe has class.

This is a set I made for a 3rd gen Colt.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 02:29:46 PM »
Here's a pair of my babies.  I think the Londons are the best made Colt clones on the market.  They are as good as a 2nd Gen Colt.  These are dirty cause I just got back from the range and firing ten stages with them.  They have had action jobs, cap guards, cylinder bushings inserted, front of cylinder beveled, big bead front sight and rear sight opened, and the grips refinished and reshaped to more closely approximate an original 51, and, most importantly on a Uberti, lengthening and properly fitting the arbor.  I'm working on another pair that will be identical except they will have gated cartridge conversions for .38 Colt.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »
Wow, don't know what happened to the photo, but it is all squished.  The gun looks much better than the photo.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 04:23:53 PM »
Pettifogger, your photo looks fine on my screen.  Nice Londons as well.  I have one London, have had it for maybe three years, but have yet to fire it.  I like your gas ring install, I have made them for Remingtons, but not yet for Colts, but intend to, as well as offer the service.  They are designed and in my CAD files.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Alabama

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 07:52:19 PM »
Pettifogger ,
there is only one thing nicer than an 1851 Navy London ,
And that is two of them !  ;D
You win this hand , so I guess I better get another . At least I have an excuse , like I need one right .  ::) Well, of course I need two, three maybe even four .

Nice working guns you got there , they look good too ...

Alabama

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 07:59:57 PM »

there is only one thing nicer than an 1851 Navy London ,

And that would be a Leech & Rigdon. ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:38:15 PM »
Now I see why my picture didn't seem to post, this thread is in two places, here and Darksider's Den.  Nice Leech & Rigdon, River City, I have one of those too, that I haven't shot yet.....  Gotta excersize some of my safe queens.

SASS 976, NRA Life

Alabama

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 10:33:19 PM »
Leech and Rigdon , those are cool guns , I need one of those too . Nice photo too by the way .
I call those the Colt "baby" 3rd model Dragoon .

Alabama

For Flint ; 

My Starter threade heading on this 1851 London says as follows  "
I posted this on the Dark side too , but for the Open Toppers that don't go there .

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »
Thanks, Alabama, I'll have to take more notice of where the thrads are.  I will post some photographs of my Armies and Navies, some are converted with Kirst and R&D.  I'm still working up some improvements like a gas ring to protect the cylinder arbor from fouling too quickly.  I do replace the leaf sprung hand with a new 4140 steel hand and a coil & plunger spring.

See flints-shop.com

SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »
Thanks, Alabama, I'll have to take more notice of where the thrads are.  I will post some photographs of my Armies and Navies, some are converted with Kirst and R&D.  I'm still working up some improvements like a gas ring to protect the cylinder arbor from fouling too quickly.  I do replace the leaf sprung hand with a new 4140 steel hand and a coil & plunger spring.

See flints-shop.com

Lots of neat stuff.  Do you sell of any these parts?

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 04:17:48 PM »
Pettifogger, I'm trying as we speak to get a business going.  I want to sell and convert both Colt and Rwemington types to coil and plunger hands, and gas rings, if they are wanted.  I have also designed and made a Remington cylinder pin latch/rammer plug, and have made parts for obsolete guns like ASM Conversion firing pins.

Sorry, I am showing Remington parts here, but I'll load my "Colt" parts in Photobucket and post following.

The gas Ring.  Frame is cut away to match, not shown.

A latch that also plugs the rammer hole, and cannot be over travelled to tweak the spring.

The unit:

SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 04:35:28 PM »
Here are Colt parts....

The hand is 4140 steel, and the flat back rides smoothly and with even pressure against the spring and plunger.
Shown are original and my replacement Uberti and Pietta Navy/Army hands:

My proposed Colt Gas ring:

SASS 976, NRA Life

Alabama

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 07:45:15 PM »
Here's me rubbing your ego , and it should be rubbed too , but you do very nice , clean , sanitary work Flint .
But, I bet you already know you do .  ;D
Interesting stuff there too , very cool .
Thanks for sharing , I am sitting here typing and being very impressed all at once. Cowboy multi-tasking  ;D

Alabama

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 08:16:35 PM »
River City John,

I agree with you.  I have a Leech and Rigdon too and absolutely love it.

Flint, nice work there.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com