Loading Holy Black Cartridges

Started by Oliver Loving, August 04, 2008, 05:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver Loving

Is there a quicker way for loading the powder charge than measuring and dropping through a funnel for cartridge loading.  Add a lot to time to take the case out of my Dillon.

Thanks

Ozark Tracker

I think there's a thread on here about running Black Powder through your  powder dispenser,  I've never used anything else on my 550 Dillon.

I'm sure some one will point the way to the thread.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Pettifogger

Fill up the powder measure and go at it.  I'm just now taking a break from loading 2000+ rounds.  Going to Outlaw Trail next week and that match alone is almost 500 rounds of pistol and rifle and over 100 shotgun.  I shoot enough that I simply don't have the time to hand dip powder.

Charlie Bowdre

The Regular dispenser?? And I'm not being a smart a&&. Just trying to figure out the same as our pard . I hand load all my BP cases and it takes a lot of time . I just can not spring for a BP dispenser right now?

Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Four Eyed Floyd

I put the Holy Black in my Lee Pro 1000 and crank em out! Using 2F.  ;D
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Dick Dastardly

1.  Don't smoke in your loading room.

2.  Heat ignites Black Powder.  Keep heat sources away from your Holy Black.

3.  No one can absolve you of the responsibility of loading safely.  You're on your own hook.

4.  Work within your comfort level and enjoy making fine ammo.

I just finished loading a couple hundred rounds of 44 Magnum with Holy Black on my LEE Pro 1000.  I was within my comfort level.  I'll load shot shells tomorrow night on my MEC 600 Jr. Mk-V.  I'll drop the powder from MEC plastic bottles with a MEC bar into plastic hulls.  I feel safe doing it.  It's in my comfort zone.

Study and learn.  Do what you are comfortable with.  We're in this for fun.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Wills Point Pete

I drop FFG and FFFG, both GOEX and Schuetzen with a Lee Autodisc with the double disc kit installed. I have not blown myself up. I do wash it fairly regularly with dish soap without rinsing to keep the static down and I do not load during thunderstorms.

Pettifogger

The distinguishing feature of the Hornady and Lyman "black powder" measures is that they are made from mostly non-ferous metals.  A lot of pards that load BP on a Dillon use this kit.  The warning language is from Dillon's lawyers.  The Dillon measure is mostly non-ferous and if you use this kit all the plastic is also eliminated.  Like Dick Dastardly said, if loading BP with a measure is not in your comfort zone don't do it.  http://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bpstore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=anti_static_kit.htm&ORDER_ID=275189440

Goatlips

Oliver,

I compromise.  I don't want to risk having a pound of BP going off in front of my face so I only pour in about 1/4 pound.  I just check it every time I have to add primers. 

Goatlips

Four Eyed Floyd

I agree with Goatlips and DD, first learn as much as you can before you drop that first charge. Once you do you get great satisfaction from shooting your first handloads.  ;D These forums are a great place to ask questions but there is also a ton of information in Speers and manuals alike that really help to understand the how's and why's and what is the "safe" way to do it. Like many have told me it is not hard to do as long as you are careful! So take it one step at a time and have fun!  ;D
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

Buffalow Red

i use a 650 dillion & the holly black would not work in the dillion powder measure it would pack in the caviety tightly
so i use a  Lee Autodisc with the double disc kit installed on my dillion 650 got the best of doth brands in one
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Four Eyed Floyd

Are you using 2F, 3F 4F? 2F doesn't pack as much. :o
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy!

Buff, I've been using a modified Dillon powder measure for a couple years, now.  No packing or bridging.  I'm close to 15,000 BP rounds now - using Goex, Kik, Elephant and Pyrodex, in 2F & 3F. 

When I say "modified", I replaced the plastic hopper with a copper tube so it is non-sparking.  Of course, Dillon will say that if I blow up it's MY problem, but ... well, so it goes.

Powder Inc. also sells a "Anti-Static" kit to modify the Dillon measures for around $53.  http://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bpstore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=anti_static_kit.htm&ORDER_ID=275189440

This is where I got my idea of a copper tube.  Theirs is even better since it is the EXACT diameter tube - my copper is about 3/32" smaller and I had to do a little modification and fitting, but I can put it back to original in about 1 minute. (And cost me less than $10.  ;) )
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Sir Charles deMoutonBlack on August 06, 2008, 02:26:43 AM
SHB;  Another submission for "cheap tricks"?

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,9463.0.html

Mayhaps - but I've been leery about ever mentioning what I've done, because Dillon says it'll void their warranty if something goes wrong AND I don't want some doofus (who smokes while loading BP with his Dillon) saying, after a major accident, "Steel Horse said it was perfectly safe!"
:o

I don't want THAT kind of problem NOR the possibility that something could go wrong and all the "naysayers" may have been right all along!  It boils down to what DD said:  (paraphrasing here) Ya gotta be in your own "comfort zone."
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com