Shot My First Today!

Started by Bryan Austin, July 30, 2008, 08:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Austin

Finally for the first time, I shot C&B today! Just a few minutes ago, right before dark, I shot off four rounds. SPEACHLESS! I used 30 grns Pyrodex. The ball went half way down into the cylinder!

Whats Next??????? ;D ;D ;D
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Wolfgang

Yur, . . . HOOKED. . . . Reload and shoot more. . .  :)

I have a 40 gr. spout that I can put on my flask.  It is a strong load. . . Probably would want it if I expected Johny Reb to be coming at me with a bayonet on the end of his rifle !   But a bit strong for everday target shootin', . .

Good shootin', . . .  :)

Later, . . . can't help ya re the Tresto ( sp? ) nipples.  Haven't needed to buy any.  But will replace mine on all cylinders when I do need to do so.  Try pinching the caps ya have a bit before ya put 'em on and then try some # 10s.  Ya gotta learn as ya go wtih C&Ball, . . part of the fun, . . . and it is FUN  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Silver Creek Slim

Congrats pard. It sure is fun.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

hellgate

What kinda gun are we talikn' about here?
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

sundance44`s

Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Wolfgang

Quote from: hellgate on July 31, 2008, 08:50:29 AM
What kinda gun are we talikn' about here?

Pietta '58 Remington .44 Cal. C&Ball.

Bryan Austin

hellgate

Because the Pyro P is so spongy (compressible) you can fill the chambers to the brim and ram the ball down and get 35-40 grs by volume into a Remington. That is a STOUT load but fun. You'll get a lot more fouling so the gun will gum up faster but just put a drop of oil onto the front of the cylinder where it rubs onto the frame and work it down onto the cylinder pin and it'll keep rolling. You might need to put a little onto the cylinder face too to keep it freed up.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Wolfgang

Beware of petroleum based oil.  I had my first one all oiled and so smooth and slick.  6 rounds out of it with pyrodex and it was gummed up so bad I could hardly get the cylinder pin out.   Then I learned about not mixing petroleum products with black powder fouling.  I'm sure whale oil worked great in the old days, . . . couldn't seem to lacate any whales, . . . hog lard worked great, . . but would get a bit messy, . . . toilet bowl wax  50/50 with olive oil is working good for me now.   Get you some "real black powder" as soon as you can.  Much better than that messed with stuff called pyrodex. 

Good shootin', . . . .  :)

Bryan Austin

Went to my local hardware store and discovered the guy there did Civil War stuff. They order Goex at the end of each year in bulk. I will go in with them on their next order, I guess in October!

When covering the cylinder chamber hole with lube, does it have to completely close it off? I did this with bore butter but it melted after the first shot and got all messy then the cylinders where no longer covered. I guess the purpose is to wet over the ball to soak any powder to prevent the chain fire?

sundance44`s

Jack if your gonna do as much shooting as I think ya will ..what I do for summer when it`s Real Hot ....I mix crisco and bees wax together in an old pot ...untill I get a mix that doesn`t melt so bad in the hot sun ....it takes letting it cool and reheating testing it a few times but it works if it needs thinning a little I had some veggie oil ...........In the winter months I save it in the frig  and just use the Crisco . Takes a little time to make up ..but worth it to keep the Goo off the gun leather ...a little goo never hurt anyone though .. ;D
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Wolfgang

Quote from: Savvy Jack on August 01, 2008, 05:38:35 AM
Went to my local hardware store and discovered the guy there did Civil War stuff. They order Goex at the end of each year in bulk. I will go in with them on their next order, I guess in October!

I couldn't get real powder around Palm Springs area.  Too much hastle for the local shops to bother with it for what they could sell.  So I ordered 5 lbs ( minimum order ) from "Powder Inc." and supplied myself and two friends for quite a while.  Was about $ 90 including the Haz Mat fee.

When covering the cylinder chamber hole with lube, does it have to completely close it off? I did this with bore butter but it melted after the first shot and got all messy then the cylinders where no longer covered. I guess the purpose is to wet over the ball to soak any powder to prevent the chain fire?
The more you use the better the bore is lubed.  yes it will melt with the heat generated by the first shots.  If you don't fire all cylinders and leave some loaded I'd suggest doing like I do with loaded and lubed guns and cylinders, which is to store them with the barrel down so that any melt of lube will drip out rather than past the ball and into the powder.  That happened with a loaded pistol the first year I had it and the contaminated powder went "poof" rather than "BOOM" with firework streaming along with the ball from the still burning bits of contaminated powder.  I have a bunch of .45 cal.  wads that I bought for use over powder in loading .45-70 and find that if I spit 'em in to three very thin wads with a razor knife that I can put 'em in the chambers over the lube and it minimizes the messyness of the lube melting. 

River City John

I am one of those who maintains that the true purpose of lube is to prevent leading in the barrel and keep fouling soft, not to seal the chambers.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: River City John on August 01, 2008, 11:47:18 PM
I am one of those who maintains that the true purpose of lube is to prevent leading in the barrel and keep fouling soft, not to seal the chambers.

Bingo!

When you seat the ball and it either swages itself or cuts a thin ring, it's pretty well sealed!  As high speed photography has shown, the ignition of different chambers than intended is MOSTLY (I'd say AWAYS ... but I don't say NEVER, either  ;) ) due to an ill-fitting cap either falling or or shocked off by ignition of another chamber, and the flame goes into the still-loaded chamber through the nipple - which is exposed.  It's one of the reasons that well-fitted caps/nipples (cones) is important.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Alabama

Your hooked now, I remember years ago ( many years ) firing my first soot spitter and it was all over !
I have dozens of revolvers now and cannot get enough !!!!
If your going to be addicted , this is a good addiction ! Bring your bank account !  ;D It will soon be dry  ;D

Sage statement for tight fitting balls from Steel Horse , that is exactly what it does and why it does it , period .
If it don't sprew , I don't shoot them there balls .

Alabama

Bryan Austin

SHot it again today, just before dark. This time I loaded up all six chambers. I slightly pinched the caps and they fit snug. No problems. Bore butter for lube. Each time I shot and checked to make sure all the caps were still on. After all six shots I started my short walk back home. I shot in a small swamp only about an acre, called a "bay" down here in south Georgia. As I looked back the smoke was still there, drifting up to about 20 feet high and out about 20 yards. Wish I had a camera. About five minutes later, it dissipated. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Alabama

Nice picture you painted for us on your six rounds , but I was only assuming last time you'd be hooked , now I know you are for sure   ;D

It isn't too much fun , it's just the right amount !!!

Alabama

Flint

Even Bore Butter, as you've discovered, melts down after the 1st shot, and in places like Southern Arizona, before even that.  I have gone to Wonder Wads over the powder, as many have, and a lot of shooters use waxed felt wads over the powder.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com