Please don't hate me!

Started by Ace Lungger, July 24, 2008, 03:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

I have allways wanted a Sharps Rifle, and got the chance to trade for one :) You experts out there, could you recommend a baby load for this rifle. I am dieing to shot it but with my back I am afraid to shoot factory ammo! I am not going to shoot long range at this time, I want to work up a long range load, but cannot afford to tear anything else in my back. I have been told that Black Powder pushes more than smacks you?

I will be great full for any and all help!
Thanks ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dalton Masterson

Ive never loaded long range blackpowder stuff before Ace, but I suppose as long as you have compression, it dont matter how much powder you have as long as it leaves the barrel. You could add powder, then grits or some filler over the top of the powder to make up the room to give you compression when the bullet is seated.

You are correct too, in that blackpowder pushes you instead of jolting you.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Steel Horse Bailey

Ace, Congrats!

You'll be surprised how mild a factory load will feel out of these big, heavy broomsticks!  'Specially a BP full load with a 350-405 gr bullet.  That load will do fine probably to 350 yds, by the way.

I'm planning on a "gallery load" for my 45 cal Sharps that will utilize a paper-wrapped 250 gr BigLube Boolit pushed by about 40 grs of 3F powder.  Sort of a 45 Colt Sharps 2 1/10". 
;D

Just for fun, I tried some wax (canning parrafein - sp?) bullets in my Sharps.  They consisted of a large magnum pistol primer in a 45 Colt case pushed into about 1/2" of mixed canning parrafein and old candles.  It was amazingly accurate to 20'-25' and without much muzzle elevation, would go 50'-60' before hitting the ground!  It was tons'O'fun, inexpensive, fairly quiet and easy to clean.  It provided several hours of fun one rainy afternoon inside my 2 1/2 car garage with my buddy, now deceased.

As Dalton mentioned, you can tailor loads as long as there's enough "ooompfh" to push the bullet out the barrel.  There are also published loads by Alliant (I think) using their Unique powder that are smokeyless powder and designed for short distances.

As for felt recoil; well, that is somewhat subjective, but yes - MANY of us find the shove from Black Powder to be easier on you than the smack (or hit) of an equivalent smokeyless load.   The power of smokeless peaks upon ignition; BP builds up more slowly and over a longer time frame.

By the way - why would we hate you? 

;)   :D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Ace Lungger

Just because I ask so many dumb questions! If you go to a non SASS match, do you get to shot of sticks? I still trying to find something I can do in the CAS if they can't help my back!
Thanks everyone for the help!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Forty Rod

An' here I thought you were gonna say "don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful" like that old TV ad.  Glad I didn't have to hurt your feelins by sayin' how beautiful you ain't!

;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

springfield

Shooting lighter bullets help keep down the recoil more than using lighter charges, in my limited experience.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: springfield on July 24, 2008, 11:19:37 PM
Shooting lighter bullets help keep down the recoil more than using lighter charges, in my limited experience.

Yep!

Quote from: Ace Lungger on July 24, 2008, 06:39:05 PM
Just because I ask so many dumb questions! If you go to a non SASS match, do you get to shot of sticks? I still trying to find something I can do in the CAS if they can't help my back!
Thanks everyone for the help!
ACE

Also, Ace - check out that Lee Shaver site I posted to you, in the "accessories" section.  There's a NICE set of shooting sticks for $25.  Lee is good people!

For anyone interested: http://www.egunsmith.com/
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

sundance44`s

It probally won`t hurt you bad standing ...but from the bench mine puts tears in me eyes from the pain with a .405 gr bullet over 65 grs of Goex ...I`ve got shoulder and neck problems screws and plates ..and really shouldn`t be shooting like I do ..but it`s what makes me happy . after my first short benching sighting in .. ( one shot ) Kill ..( me ) I bought one of those recoil pads ya wear on your shoulder for bench shooting ..it helps . so be careful ..and don`t hurt yourself anymore than you already are ..300 gr bullets don`t kick near as bad as heavyer ones .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Black Powder

Quote from: springfield on July 24, 2008, 11:19:37 PM

That's a very good piece of info for this here newbie.  Saves a lot of future fiddlin' time.  Thanks.

Ace, who could hate you?

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Lighter recoil, but you might have to adjust your sights for a different POI.  Not a problem if you stick to one bullet, or at least one bullet weight.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Adirondack Jack

Sit on a log or similar and use cross sticks.

I set up a piece of power pole as a seat and cross sticks for total newbies who shot a Remington Custom Shop Rolling Block with factory smokeless loads and even 12 year olds dealt with it with no problems.

Now my pencil barrel original 50-70 roller with the steel butt plate shooting 450s off the bench HURTS.  I now use cross sticks and either a log or sit on the ground.  No issues with my surgically rebuilt neck.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Fiddler Green

Aw, we'll just hate you for having the Sharps, everything else is just gravy! ;D

Try the PMC 405 Grain Lead Flat point load. It claims a velocity of 1250 Fps and is light enough that I can shoot it at the local indoor range. I've even let a 96 Lbs,  14 year old girl shoot it in my H&R 1871 and she didn't think it was bad at all.

Just don't try to shoot it at 1,000 yards. You'll have to have the trajectory of an NFL punt!

You may want to order a copy of "SPG Lubricants BP Cartridge, Reloading Primer" by  Mike Venturino and Steve Garbe.  It's a good book to have for anybody loading BP rifles.

Bruce

Ace Lungger

Thanks Pards for all the advice, I know have several weights of bullets to shoot to see which one I like and how much recoil there is> I traded for a can of Swiss 2f and a can of Goex2f and i have a bottle of Pyrodex 2f. My other brass should be here tomorrow i hope, a friend of mine and i tryed one of his rounds that he shoots threw his Hi Wall, his is 1/8" longer than I can camber, so i gota good start on how deep to start of with! I am going to use the DD way of getting my correct seat depth?

Once again, I am great full for the help and advice!

Happy Shooting
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com