welding triggers

Started by Black River Johnny, July 22, 2008, 01:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black River Johnny

When welding and building up broken triggers, does it have to be done  with a tig welder or will a wire feed work? I guess another question is will a wire feed weld harden properly?

Fox Creek Kid

I've only heard of it being done with TIG welding, however I am NOT a certified welder. 

Ozark Tracker

get someone with a TIG, the heat can be controlled on small parts, wire fed can't be on very small parts, you wouldn't get the penatration you need.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Paladin UK

Gotta be aTig!! ;D

My pard rebuilt the hammer on my Spiller `n` Burr..... its as good a new!!

Paladin (What hopes he`s helped ya ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Delmonico

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on July 23, 2008, 11:44:31 AM
I've only heard of it being done with TIG welding, however I am NOT a certified welder. 

Used to be in several types, could also be done with someone with skill and an oxy/acetalynne torch with the proper tips and some good nckle steel rod.  They way it was done before TIG's came out.  Brownells has the heat dam paste and the rod, I have both plus the torch, so would do that for me if I needed it.  Would also get some Case-It from them to harden it when I was done.

Doubt there are a lot left that would be able to do it today, that skill is a dieing art.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Ozark Tracker

Del,  I'm sure you can remember as I can, used to be some folks who could really use one of them O&A torches,  yer right about a dieing art.   them TIGS make it a lot easier with the variable heat.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Delmonico

Quote from: Ozark Tracker on July 24, 2008, 05:18:08 PM
Del,  I'm sure you can remember as I can, used to be some folks who could really use one of them O&A torches,  yer right about a dieing art.   them TIGS make it a lot easier with the variable heat.

Was a bodyman for a lot of years, am good with one.  Used to take two of the old steel beer cans and place them end to end and weld them together, just to show off. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

John Taylor

I use a tig just because I have one now. Use to use a O/A torch and spring steel for the filler rod. Have seen some repaired with a piece of hack saw blade silver soldered in place. For what they want for new triggers it's worth the effort to fix the old one. Mig is a little over kill for small parts.
John Taylor, gunsmith

Ace Lungger

:) Howdy Pards, I will agree that Tig is the best!! But if you turn the amps up on your mig and you feed speed down, and tack and move, then come back and fill in the gaps, Buy turning up the amps and slowing the feed you are getting a hooter burn and since the wire speed is slower you get better penatraction. Still if you have a tig it will work better or silver solder it!! On that last Hawes I built, the hammer I got the notches would cut so far off, i rewellded them, filled them with my mig and re cut them.
You can get buy just fine with a mig, but your tig is better.
Just my 2 cents I am just a old farm boy that gets it done!

ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com