Who wants the Old Vaquero back?

Started by Harley Starr, July 21, 2008, 10:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harley Starr

One time at a gun shop I held an Old Model Vaquero in the palm of my hand. It had a 5.5 inch barrel with ivory grips and it was chambered in .45ACP. This gun was gorgeous! I can't really describe any better than this, it just plain felt right in my hand. ;)
I believe I can safely say that I want the Old Model Vaquero back in production. There I said it.
Now for the New Vaquero fans reading this, please hear me out. I currently own a New Vaquero with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, chambered in .45 Colt, and color case hardened frame. Yeah I like it, but knowing the fact that this gun can't take those heavier loads that it's old predessor ate up with ease leaves my options alittle slim, and that makes me mad!  >:(
I know one could say that it would be easier for me to look for a used Old Model Vaquero that I prefer, but there's a few problems with that train of thought.
First, one has to be located. Yeah I know there are other gun shops out there that might have what I'm looking for. But ya gotta beat the other guy to it! There's gun auction website that has it. But the other guy will outbid me and I hate online auctions. I'm sure you do to.
Second, who in their right mind would give up a gun built like a tank, unless you're in dire need of cash.

I think it's high time that we start up a petition to Ruger Firearms to recontinue the Old Model Vaquero line. What do you say?
We're either RATS or we're squeakers. We can't be both!
A work in progress.

Outrider #72622

Wouldn't it have been great if they had made them one of the aniversary firearms...but they didn't!   >:(
I guess there is more call for the Bearcat and Single Six... ???
DIRTY RATS
LASSOOS

August

If'n thayed jes billed the noo one in 44 w.c.f. and 38 w.c.f. that wood be enuf fer me.

Cyrille

Me? I have two and wouldn't part with either, unless I were in dire need of cash, which I ain't.
I bought my first NIB but by the time I had saved enough to get the second they were out of production. so I looked around for a year or so until one fairly leaped into my hand at a local gun show. So pard, that's your best chance now, find a used one. That's the only option open to you. You should be able to find ond around $400.00 or cheaper @ a gun show or shop just keep lookin until you find what you want.
  As far as an "on-line" buy I wouldn't, I like to see and handle what I buy first. I'm not saying that an on line buy is bad, I'm saying that it should only be used as a last resort!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Mustang Gregg

OH HECK----YES!!!!

We would like to see both the Blackies and Vaqueros back in the line up.
Our outfit only has them "older" Rugers for main match guns.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Trailrider

Quote from: August on July 22, 2008, 07:15:10 AM
If'n thayed jes billed the noo one in 44 w.c.f. and 38 w.c.f. that wood be enuf fer me.

AMEN!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I have OVs in .44-40.  But why not NVs in .44-40 and .38-40.  Are they afraid that some tinkerer will try to convert them to .44 Raging Mad?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Cyrille

I'm sure the've sold more than enough NVs to make it profitable to continue producing them for the "gamers" But as to why they had to discontinue the original Vaquero and Lg. framed BHs is a mystery to me and to others I'm sure. Oh well I suppose it is in pursuit of the not-so-mighty-dollar.
I would hazard to guess that ole Bill Ruger has turned over at least once in his grave.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

August

Fer my money, the new model is a vast improvement over the older one.  I have a brace of each and think the new model is much faster, smoother and easier to handle than the original.  But, I'll say it again, I sure wish they'd bring a full array of calibers to the market!!!!!  Including, 32 w.c.f., 38 w.c.f., and 44 w.c.f.  Each of these should, of course, be dual cylinder models allowing for conversion to .32 H&R, .40 S&W, and .44 Special, respectively.  If Ruger would fill out the choice of calibers, I see no reason to go back to the clunker Old Model Vaquero.  While I'm on my soapbox, it would be really nice to have a new model size/weight pistol in .22 rimfire so I could spend less time reloading and more time practicing.

Is Davidson's listening????

John E. Ringo

I dislike the original Vaquero. It's oversized for its intended purpose, in my humble opinion, and less graceful looking than the New Vaq.

santee

Not me. That pistol didn't fit my hands right. The NMV is a good fit and handles nicely.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Pappy Myles

Well, IMHO, I do like the older models better.   OK   I know the new ones are smaller and more like colts.   But I  like'em big as they fit my hands better.  And they can handel a heavier charge.   And initally they are a pill to get them to shoot right.   But I love them.     I have 2 pair, blue 5 1/2 in 45 Colt, SS 5 1/2 in 38/357,  and an om Black in 41 with 6 1/2 in and ana om brisley in 357 7 1/2.

When I get some disposal income, I just might get a pair of NMV.      I would like to see in more calibers than 38/357 and 45 colt....
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

BlaiseNSaddles

No, like the new ones better. The only thing that a few of the old ones had that I wish Ruger would do with the new model is have convertible models.  It would be nice to have a 9mm for the 357 to practice with or 45acp for the 45 Colt.

Dog River Dan

I really had to put some thought into this question.
As much as I love the Vaquero, I would have to say that I like the NV just a little better.
I like the roll-mark on the underside of the barrel so much better.
The balance is better even when I thought the Older model had a better grip for my hands.
It feels so much more like my Colt.
I will always keep my Birdshead models of the old model but my nod goes for the NV.

John E. Ringo

I read that Ruger assembled some original Vaqueros from old parts. The barrel warning is on the bottom. Here are two examples:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=105226439

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=105226438

Charlie Foxtrot

On the off chance that anyone from Ruger is reading this:

OH, HE!! YEA!!!

I feel fortunate that I was somehow able to find two OMV SS Bisleys in .357 with a 5 1/2 barrels.  It cost me money, trouble, and time.  I've got big hammys, and the OMVs fit and feel much better.  And the Bisleys point exactly where my Glock accustomed hands point them.   I do own NMVs in .357.  I think they are wonderful guns, just the OMVs are even better.  ps: The wifey will get the NMVs full time -- and she's delighted!

I understand Ruger's desire to reduce the amount of catalog offerings for efficiency's sake, but I believe they're going too far.  Firearms are very personal, and if the buyer cannot get what they desire, they're as likely to refrain as buying a second or third choice.   

And how the he!! could they eliminate the Old Armys!!!  How am I, and a legion of others, ever going to become Dirty RATS???

Riot Earp

Ruger is trying to survive in a deeply troubled economy. How to please everyone is the least of their concerns. They are thinning their herd, a prudent move with darker storm clouds on the horizon.

Sgt. Jake

In a word YES!!!!                         Adios  Sgt. Jake

fourfingersofdeath

Quote from: Cyrille on July 22, 2008, 02:30:57 PM
I'm sure the've sold more than enough NVs to make it profitable to continue producing them for the "gamers" But as to why they had to discontinue the original Vaquero and Lg. framed BHs is a mystery to me and to others I'm sure. Oh well I suppose it is in pursuit of the not-so-mighty-dollar.
I would hazard to guess that ole Bill Ruger has turned over at least once in his grave.

Most of the gamers I've seen prefer the older model because the extra weight keeps the recoil down. I've had both and find that I tend to slip the hammer less with the smaller frame guns. Doesn't make sense as I have very big hands, but thats the way it is.

The funny thing is everyone was moaning that the vaquero was too big, bring out teh Colt sized frame, etc, etc. Now people are moaning about the lack of a big framed one. I'm sorely tempted to buy back my 44mag old Vaquero as it is languishing n te shop I traded it in on the pair of new models in 45Colt. If I could only have one or the other for cowboy action, I'd go the new ones, if I could only have one for working stock and riding the range, I'd opt for the old girls for stout loads.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Cyrille

Quote from: fourfingersofdeath on August 08, 2008, 08:47:56 AM
Most of the gamers I've seen prefer the older model because the extra weight keeps the recoil down. I've had both and find that I tend to slip the hammer less with the smaller frame guns. Doesn't make sense as I have very big hands, but thats the way it is.The funny thing is everyone was moaning that the vaquero was too big, bring out the Colt sized frame, etc, etc. Now people are moaning about the lack of a big framed one. I'm sorely tempted to buy back my 44mag old Vaquero as it is languishing n te shop I traded it in on the pair of new models in 45Colt. If I could only have one or the other for cowboy action, I'd go the new ones, if I could only have one for working stock and riding the range, I'd opt for the old girls for stout loads.

Now, that is the first I've heard of the "gamers" prefering the original Vaquero with the larger frame! It was at their chorus of requests, if I'm not mistaken, that Ruger decided to do away with the original Vaquero and replace it with their[Ruger's] version of a Colt clone! I think Ruger made a mistake doing away with the original style of Vaquero, I believe they should have continued to produce it, perhaps in smaller numbers, but not to have done away with it altogether. But then, perhaps when my grandson comes of age, if we're still allowed to have guns, the original style Vaquero may be a collecter's item!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com