45LC black powder load for a 66 ?

Started by Marshal J.D.Lightning, July 21, 2008, 07:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal J.D.Lightning

Hi Guys,

I'm now the proud owner of a Uberti 1866 SRC in 45LC  ;D this is to go with my new Uberti 3rd model Dragoon  8)

The problem I have is I've been loading smokeless in my 45s & now I want to use B/P in my 66 to go with the Dragoon.

Can anyone give me an idea of a good cowboy starting load for the 45LC  ??? I use FFFg & a 200grn RNFP.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Take care, shoot straight & have fun with them leverguns.

Lightning
Marshal J.D.Lightning
Provost Marshal. US Cavalry
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

Abilene

J.D., that yellowboy will go very well with your dragoon  :)

There are several discussions in the darksiders den about shooting BP in 45LC rifles, you should be able to find them with the search function, or just scroll through the topics looking at the subjects.  The main issue is that the thick 45LC brass does not expand well with BP loads and so you get a lot of blowby into the action making for more cleaning and sometimes a sticky action.  You want to get your pressure up as much as you can.  The choice of FFF is good, the 200gr bullet not so good.  A 250gr bullet will help.  And of course you need BP lube in that bullet, the more the better.  I'm sure you will get some more advice.  Good luck and enjoy!   ;D

Tuolumne Lawman

Try the 200 grain bullet, 28 grains FFG and .45 Schofield brass.  It is great to shoot, save money on the amount of BP you use. Duplicates the original 44 Henry round, also.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Ranch 13

Just fill a fired 45 case with bp until the bullet will just have firm contact with the base of the bullet, pour that charge into the scale and set your powder thrower to meet that weight.Then when loading resized brass add a .030 fiber wad under the bullet and all should be well.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Dusty Morningwood

And give it a good crimp to keep the bullet from getting pushed into the case and lets a tad more pressure build to seal the case to chamber wall.

Ransom Gaer

With a 200 grain bullet I use a 24 grain ffg charge with a grease cookie in a .45 Schofield case.  Grease Cookie=two .030 fiber wad sandwiching a lubed felt wad.  Helps control powder fouling.  Will be switching shortly to a big lube bullet combination and will bump powder charge up to 28 grains.  Use this combination the most in my '66 and 1860 Henry.

With a 250 grain bullet I use a grease cookie with a 32 grain ffg charge in .45 Colt case.  In this case will also be switching to big lube bullet and bumping charge up to 35 grains.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Capt, Woodrow F. Call

Quote from: Marshal J.D.Lightning on July 21, 2008, 07:09:46 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm now the proud owner of a Uberti 1866 SRC in 45LC  ;D this is to go with my new Uberti 3rd model Dragoon  8)

The problem I have is I've been loading smokeless in my 45s & now I want to use B/P in my 66 to go with the Dragoon.

Can anyone give me an idea of a good cowboy starting load for the 45LC  ??? I use FFFg & a 200grn RNFP.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Take care, shoot straight & have fun with them leverguns.

Lightning

Do this rifle have 45 Schofield Cal, or 45 LC, if LC, i use close to 37 grain BP with a thin paper lock between the bullet and powder, and 250 gr bullet. It works very good for me.

Do you have a picture of it, i have one, saddle carabine in 45 LC, just like Tomas Hayden Church used in Broken Trail.
Cud'nt waite to get it, wonderful rifle.
SWS # 1014
Grenland Gunslingers # 0001
Cowboy Mounted Shooters Norway #005
'The Cowboys' Trail Riding Society of Telemark 2009. # 003
Member of The Chuckwagon society, Sweden.

Will Ketchum

Quote from: Capt, Woodrow F. Call on July 28, 2008, 11:12:38 AM
i have one, saddle carabine in 45 LC, just like Tomas Hayden Church used in Broken Trail.
Cud'nt waite to get it, wonderful rifle.

Does your have a front sight?  ;)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Capt, Woodrow F. Call

Quote from: Will Ketchum on July 28, 2008, 06:42:30 PM
Does your have a front sight?  ;)

Will Ketchum

Damn.............   :-\   thanks...i have to remove it  ;)

BR Capt: Call.
SWS # 1014
Grenland Gunslingers # 0001
Cowboy Mounted Shooters Norway #005
'The Cowboys' Trail Riding Society of Telemark 2009. # 003
Member of The Chuckwagon society, Sweden.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com