Brass shells and primeing 'em

Started by Pennsyltucky, July 19, 2008, 07:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pennsyltucky

Stopped by Cabelas today and there, calling my name, was a box of brass shotshells.

Heck, if ya can't shoot fast like those young kids or them what take the time to practice, ya got no choice but to look good.

Did not see any of those RCBS 12g shell holders. No problem sez the guy behind the counter, just take a punch and pop out the old primer and use a dowel to seat the new primer.

Now, I don't really have much of a problem with that, but then, I've drilled holes in my leg with a dremel tool too....

What other methods of seating those pesky pistol size primers is there other then the RCBS shell holder?

Pennsylltucky

litl rooster

you can use a deep well socketand a good hard mallet or dead blow mallet instead of a dowell. Place the pistol primer on a hard surface and place the Hull over the primer and seat it.   careful you can set them off that way
Mathew 5.9

Adirondack Jack

Ya gotta CALL RCBS and ask for the 12GA shell holder.  Last I knew it was not a regular catalog item but they do make it.  Don't mess around with the alternate methods.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Dusty Morningwood

I knock out old primers with a depriming rod from an old set of dies.  I place primers on smooth, flat surface.  My dowel has a 1/4" deep hole in the end to fit over the raised primer pocket of the Magtec brass.  Position shell over primer, place dowel inside and tap down with leather mallet.  Wear earplugs!  Sometimes they don't quite line up.  ;D

Dr. Bob

You might check the antique malls for a priming tool.  Sorta like a pair of pliers - has a ring on one side that the shell fits through and the other side has a primer size rod that actaully seats the primer.  Paid about $12 for mine last spring.  Or check out the next gun show.  Good hunting!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Wills Point Pete

I use a six inch socket extension with a 7/16 socket. The socket is not absolutely needed, the 3/8 drive hole will protect the flash hole "nipple", I just think the round socket hole distributes the pressure better. I have popped a good number of PMC primers this way, since switching to Winchester primers I haven't set any off. This is not to say I can't. Since I can't see without my glasses, I don't worry much, no primer I've popped has done anything but scare the dog. As long as my eyes are protected, I'm fine. It's not like I ever got as purty as momma wanted me to be.

Roosterman

Quote from: Dr. Bob on July 19, 2008, 09:25:13 PM
You might check the antique malls for a priming tool.  Sorta like a pair of pliers - has a ring on one side that the shell fits through and the other side has a primer size rod that actaully seats the primer.  Paid about $12 for mine last spring.  Or check out the next gun show.  Good hunting!
This is what I use, they're easy enough to find. In fact I have a whole set of loading tools for 12 ga brass shells that I've found at gun shows over the years. You might keep an eye on ebay too....if they allow the sale of antique loading tools that is.....
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Dick Dastardly

MEC now makes a brass shot shell reloading punch and primer seater for their popular 600Jr. Mk-V presses.  They even made me one in 20ga and can do 16ga also.  If you can't find one, go to the MEC web site and send 'em an emule.  I got mine pretty quick.  I'm not sure that they include the all brass prime/de-prime set in their accessories yet, but they do make 'em.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I have the RCBS shellholder.  Until I got it I used a short length of copper plumbing and a dead blow hammer to prime, and an old depriming punch "Wilson, I think.  Does that date me?

I have a bit of 2" by 4" with a metal plate attached as the "hard smooth surface" and a hex fitting that happened to have a 1/4" hole and a hollow part that can accumulate about a dozen primers before emptying.

My ancient MEC 600 jr is now converted to 16 ga., but it came with the old battery pocket type of re priming station.  I haven't tried it for brass cases yet, but I will. 
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Dusty Morningwood

Quote from: Dr. Bob on July 19, 2008, 09:25:13 PM

Here's one!  I have a couple of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Shotgun-Shell-Cap-Primer-Press-Tool-12-Gauge_W0QQitemZ160261275979QQihZ006QQcategoryZ7308QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Athena Jake

What works for me....
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5223.html
12 Gauge Shell Holder
Your Price:  $20.49 / Each

I put this in my Lee Breechlock press and use the the large priming arm to seat the primers.
I feel safer than tapping the whole thing aginst a steel plate.

RCBS makes a cowboy dies set that comes with a 12 gauge shell holder.
Couldn't tell you the shell holder number though.
Athena Jake Elder
SASS #74972 / STORM #276 / WARTHOG
McLean County Peacemakers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com