Colt Frontier Six Shooter

Started by Fox Creek Kid, July 17, 2008, 07:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Creek Kid

In case you didn't know, Colt reintroduced the infamous "etched frame" Frontier Six Shooter at the 2008 SHOT Show in the authentic BP frame and they came to market last week. I found a pair with 7.5" barrels at a great price and swallowed the lure whole.  ;)

The etched frame was offered by Colt originally from approx. late 1877 until circa 1890 and a limited run of 2,002 nickeled guns was issued in 1975 for the 1973 Colt centennial, albeit these were 2nd Gen. with an atrocious anniversary logo on the right side of the barrel. Enough history.

The two I bought are fantastic. Colt got it right.  ;) Exquisite barrel etching with correct barrel roll marks & patent dates. They even stamped a small "44" in front of the cylinder pin underneath which is historically correct. They did not however stamp either ".44 Cal." nor ".44 CF" on the rear TG flat as originals had. Case colors are superb. Timing on both is dead nuts on and the forcing cones needed little if any chamfer. Now for the REALLY good part.  :o :) The chambers on both are right at 0.430!!! The barrel on one is right at 0.4295 - 0.430. In other words, great. No need to have the chambers reamed as in days past when it was not uncommon to have a 0.429 barrel and 0.427 chambers.  :'( ;)  I will try to shoot one tomorrow, rain permitting.

So far, Colt gets an A+ for this reintroduction of what many believe is THE classic Peacemaker.  :)

Deadeye Dick

FCK,
Wow, didn't know they were coming out with them. I'd like to see some pictures of them if you can. I know in the past you've said you didn't have a camera. Maybe you can get someone who does to do it for you. Let us know how they shoot.
;D ;D ;D
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Deadeye Don

I looked on the Colt website and couldnt find them.  ???
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Fox Creek Kid

Deadeye Don, Colt's website is about as informative as an Obama speech.  ::) ;D ;)

Black Powder

No kiddin'...

Congrats on that aquisition.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Fox Creek Kid

Shot 25 rds. today, some with 30 gr. GOEX FFg and some with 26 gr. GOEX FFg. Windage at 10 - 12 yds. (CAS range) is dead on but a little high. I will correct this with a Warthog load of 37 - 38 gr.  ;) She purred like a kitten. Sorry I have no camera but here's a link to a new one.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/958029443/Guns/Pistols/Colt-Single-Action-Revolvers-3rd-Gen/NIB_COLT_SAA_FRONTIER_SIX_SHOOTER_BLACK_POWDER_FRAME_44_40_NEW_FOR_200.htm

Yellowhouse Sam

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on July 17, 2008, 07:03:39 PM

The etched frame was offered by Colt originally from approx. late 1877 until circa 1890 and a limited run of 2,002 nickeled guns was issued in 1975 for the 1973 Colt centennial, albeit these were 2nd Gen. with an atrocious anniversary logo on the right side of the barrel. Enough history.

So far, Colt gets an A+ for this reintroduction of what many believe is THE classic Peacemaker.  :)

That's OK, when looking down the sights or holstered, I don't see the awful logo at all.  :) Sure would like a pair of them new ones with a 5.5 in barrel...nickel of course.
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Five Bullets

I read this posting about two weeks ago and knew that I would probably never see one. The next day I went to my favorite gun store and the proprietor waved me over to show me what he had received a day or two before - yes a new Colt Frontier Six Shooter. I did some quick calculations (i.e. how many days to eat half rations) and got out the checkbook.  Dang that Fox Creek Kid!  You see I went there with some trading material to get a 44WCF SAA smokeless frame with a 4.75" barrel.  Not to be deterred I got it too. I will add a picture of it in another posting.  Measurements of cylinder throats and bore forth coming.

Five Bullets
aka 5 Bullets
SSS #16
Storm #11
Prayer Posse

Five Bullets

I'm having problems with posting the other SAA mentioned in my post above so please bear with me.
Five Bullets
aka 5 Bullets
SSS #16
Storm #11
Prayer Posse

Five Bullets

Well it seems as though my hard head is working overtime again as I am having a little problem adding images from photobucket.  I was able to do so for the last couple of days but not today.  Brain fade I suppose.

Anyways the measurements are the same for my new Colt Frontier Six Shooter and for the new Colt 44WCF with the 4.75" tube.  The bore is .430 and the cylinder throats are .429.  Cylinders will not accept a cartridge with over a .428 bullet.  I am modifying this post: The loaded rounds that i thought had .429 bullets in fact were loaded with .430 bullets.  I will load a few dummy rounds with .429 bullets and try them tomorrow.  But even if they fit they will be under sized for the bore. Any suggestions for a good smith to send the cylinders to get the chambers/throats reamed to the proper size?

ps I have also posted this on the Gunsmith Forum.
Five Bullets
aka 5 Bullets
SSS #16
Storm #11
Prayer Posse

hmeier4799

Does your Frontier Six Shooter have any form of a safety device?
Buds Gun Shop listed that it has a hammer block.
I phoned Colt and they were not sure then said no hammer block.
I hope that the Colt person is correct

Fox Creek Kid

No safety device.  ;)

Five bullets, if you're shooting real BP try a few 0.429 bullets and see what happens. I have shot both 0.428 & 0.429 and they worked good. The 0.429 with a full case of real BP gave one ragged hole at 12 yds. & no leading at all.  John Hooper in CA reams chambers for something like $10.00 a hole if you need it.  He's fair & fast.

Digger

Hi Y'all,

I got one in 5 1/2" off GunBroker last week.  It should be here in a few more days.  He sez he's got more that he'll be posting.  I found  pictures of an original somewhere on the web, and they're virtually identical.  Even the patent dates.  I'd buy two, but those $$ are budgeted for a Sharps. 

Plan on replacing the black grips with some one-piece walnut which I ordered the next day.  The guy promises they're exceptional.

Digger

Deadeye Dick

FCK,
Do you have the website or phone # for Mr. Hooper?
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Fox Creek Kid

John Hooper ph# 760-949-5959 Pacific time.

Fox Creek Kid

I bought two 7.5" FSS's this Summer and both went directly to John Schultz to be done "correctly". One I had nickeled, CORRECT taller front sight installed for 7.5" barrel, cylinder properly BP beveled, fire blued screws, cylinder pin & trigger. He changed the firing pin to correct early cone shape. One piece ivory grips as well. Serial #'s stamped in correct places. The final touch was the neatest: .44 CAL stamped on the rear left TG flat. According to Kopec almost all etched frames had .44 CF stamped there but some early ones had simply .44 CAL stamped there. The very first Colt 44-40's had no TG marking and no acid etching at all, simply the small .44 in front of the cylinder pin. The acid etch started late '77. The earliest # I have seen that wasn't a Colt "switch" from .45 to .44 was in the 41,XXX range. Best of all my gun shoots a ragged hole at 10 yds. with full bore REAL BP rounds!! The other one isn't quite done yet, but it will be exactly the same except rust blued with one piece wood grips. John uses an early 1st Gen. grip frame as a template for his grips as there is a slight difference in generational dimensions. The early 1st gen. grips are IMO more aesthetically pleasing and fit my hand like I was Robo Cop.

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/Boge_1960/IMG_0032.jpg

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/Boge_1960/IMG_0030.jpg

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/Boge_1960/IMG_0029.jpg

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/Boge_1960/IMG_0027.jpg

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/Boge_1960/IMG_0026.jpg

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/Boge_1960/IMG_0025.jpg

Deadeye Don

FCK,   Beautiful.  Just a simply stunning gun.   Now the important question.   Are you going to shoot it?   ;D

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Deadeye Don on November 29, 2008, 07:22:46 AM
FCK,   Beautiful.  Just a simply stunning gun.   Now the important question.   Are you going to shoot it?   ;D

It's already been shot over 100 times with real BP "Warthog"loads. Thanks for the kind words, D.D.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy FCK

Absolutly Beautiful Pard, and those ivory grips are really something, I love the grain that's running through them, This will be a gun you can be proud to own and pass down to a loved one,you are going to really look good toting this sixgun around at all the get togethers, and because it's a shooter, you'll have even more fun. Wish we had NCOW here in California..... :'(

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on November 29, 2008, 11:28:19 AM
It's already been shot over 100 times with real BP "Warthog"loads. Thanks for the kind words, D.D.

I was hoping that would be the answer.   ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com