Need slotted screwdriver for Vaquero base pin latch

Started by Riot Earp, July 16, 2008, 05:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riot Earp

Does anyone know where I can purchase a slotted screwdriver that'll fit the Ruger Vaquero's base pin latch? You know, the cross-bolt than locks the base pin in place? I want to replace the latch spring with a stronger one.

I own the Brownell's Magna-Tip screwdriver set but don't have any slotted bits for it and don't know what size to order.

Pettifogger

Go buy a cheap standard flat blade screwdriver and grind a notch in it with a Dremel.

Riot Earp

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't own a Dremel. I would prefer a gunsmith-quality bit so I don't chew up the screw.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Riot Earp on July 16, 2008, 05:44:04 PM
Does anyone know where I can purchase a slotted screwdriver that'll fit the Ruger Vaquero's base pin latch? You know, the cross-bolt than locks the base pin in place? I want to replace the latch spring with a stronger one.

I own the Brownell's Magna-Tip screwdriver set but don't have any slotted bits for it and don't know what size to order.
Brownells has one , i have it, it works great, but you don't want to do the turning with this driver, just use it to stabilize the slotted nut, i'll post this and come back with a part number. Will I guess Brownells doesn't sell it anymore , but Midway USA has the bit and it a 1/4 of the price of screw driver , here's the #896243, $ 4.79  I'm going to order the bit myself , at this price I can aford to have an extra on hand.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=896243

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=439523&t=11082005   

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Pettifogger

You can buy one of these for $20.00, http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=695&st=080642000aa&s=2868,
or make one for a dollar.

Just remember the notched driver is only for holding the nut.  You still need a proper hollow ground screwdriver for the slotted side to remove the screw.

August

The Wheeler master set, sold at Midway, has a bit specifically for the Ruger Base Pin.  A little known fact is that Midway sells the bits individually.  They will fit in the Brownell's handles.

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteThanks. Unfortunately I don't own a Dremel. I would prefer a gunsmith-quality bit so I don't chew up the screw.

Howdy

If you're carefull you can do this with a cheap homemade screwdriver. Just cut a slot with a jewelers file. You won't be turning the screw with the slotted screwdriver, you will only be preventing it from moving. If you're carefull you can do this without allowing the slotted tip from climbing out and damaging the slot. Use the good screwdriver on the other end and torque the screw out with that one.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Fox Creek Kid

Gunsmithing Rule #1.

If you own a Dremel, lock it up.  ;D :D ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com