1862 Army Police

Started by Gun Butcher, July 14, 2008, 02:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gun Butcher

OK, someone set me straight ::) is the 1862 Army Police that Cabelas sells a 6 shot or a five. I ask because looking at the extra cylinders that they offer for it they look like a 6 shooter, but, I thought the Police model was a five. Whats the story here. ???
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Dalton Masterson

Its a 6 shot based on a 60 frame made up to look kinda like the 62. It does point well and shoot pretty good. The short loading lever stinks if ya use it tho. Pokes me right in the center of my palm. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Pettifogger

I wish Pietta/Cabellas wouldn't use that nomenclature.  There is no such thing historically as an 1862 Army Police.  An 1862 Police is a five shot pocket model based on the small 1849 size frame.  What Pietta has built is basically a 5" barreled 1861 Navy with a fluted cylinder.  It's a great shooting gun, just confusing since Uberti builds an 1862 Police and it is a true five shot pocket model.

Gun Butcher

Thanks to both of you. I thought it was a 6 shooter and I mainly like it because of the short barrel and the half flutes.  I kind of figured it would be tough to load but I have a plan( which always worries my better half) for that.
                                                        thanks again, GB ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Dalton Masterson

Shoot, your right its on the 61 frame cuz its .36 cal.  DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Pettifogger

Quote from: Gun Butcher on July 14, 2008, 05:21:36 PM
Thanks to both of you. I thought it was a 6 shooter and I mainly like it because of the short barrel and the half flutes.  I kind of figured it would be tough to load but I have a plan( which always worries my better half) for that.
                                                        thanks again, GB ;D

What I use on my short barrel C&Bs is a plastic rod 3/4" in diameter about five inches long.  Drill two little holes in the rod length wise spaced far enough for the wings on the loading lever.  Then take one big drill the size of the lever itself and go down the middle.  This will make a cut that looks like the planet Saturn and its rings.  Just slip it on and you have a nice comfortable grip.

Gun Butcher

Well, I got my Ladies and man do they feel sweet.

Pettifogger, I do appreciate the tip on the extension loading rod. It works out great.  The feel of the the shorter barrels suits me to a "T" and the balance, at least in my hand, is perfect. So far all I have done is lighten the hammer spring just a mite. After they have been shot for awhile I'll see if anything else is needed. Thanks to all for your imput it has been a tremendous help.
                                                                   Gun Butcher

Barkeep,  Grins all around.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D on me.

Noz

I get by with 5" pieces of 1/2" soft plastic tubing as a lever cover.

Alabama

Its also not really an Army at all , its a Navy since its .36 ..................

I got one , she shoots good too .

Dixie has one also ,( which I have too ) but it has the Blued Backstrap and trigger guard, they too call it an 62 Army Sherrif , and it just aint an Army , especially with an 1851 or 61 trigger guard and backstrap , and its .36 Cal. ...........Wrong !!!

Alabama

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com