Got any ooops photos to share?

Started by Delmonico, July 12, 2008, 05:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

Bill's thread about the sunglasses got me to thinking about how often we try to get a good period looking photo and when we down-load or develope there is something, not always our fault that just happened to get in the photo. ::)

With me it is most often a tourist type, in shorts, sandles and a T-Shirt, but I've got a few that have some rather funny things in them from time to time.  I'm working on some at home right now, but have had this one for a while.  Did not use my lantern or even better went to the pick-up and drug out the six cell Mag-Lite and sweep things before. Was an about midnight and I can't go to bed, but I'm bored thing. :D

Don't want this to become a thread picking on anyone, just wanting to have a little fun at our own expense. :)

And from out in the brush behind the woodpile the Sepia makes it PC one. ;D

Dig in the photo files, fess up and we'll all have some laughs.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Leo Tanner

Ya gotta have the one with the powdered Gatorade can on the top shelf of the set up ;D

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Leo Tanner

An I see whats in the one above, but it did take a minute ta catch.  It's kinda like Where's Waldo.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Delmonico

Quote from: Leo Tanner on July 12, 2008, 05:42:45 PM
Ya gotta have the one with the powdered Gatorade can on the top shelf of the set up ;D

Leo

Gonna get it sized and uploaded tommorow.  In my defense no one had a heat stroke when the day was in the 90's, not good working all day around a fire and hot ovens. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Look for two, one is worse though. ;D  At least things were sanitary. :)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Leo Tanner

Think the sanitary one is the one I saw.  The other i figgur blended in nicely ;D

Roland Deschain

Dutch Limbach

Heres one I can share. This was taken at a Civil War Encampment in Indianapolis.

The couple in the photo, Bill and Jayne Thompson, are GLFMC members as well as CW Reenactors. The house behind them
is the Historic Hanna House, which was a stop on the Underground Railroad.

When I took the picture I didn't notice the very modern garden hose through the view finder.

By using the "Clone Tool" in a image editing program the offending hose has been removed.

Here is the photo finished with a little Gaussian blur and sepia tone.

"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Dutch Limbach

Here is another picture I'll share and the fix for it.

Here is a photo of Mr. Peevine taken at a Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co. Shoot at Modoc,
Indiana, in July of 2006. At this shoot we took photos of the shooters from the front to show how
they look when they are shooting a scenario. This was done under very strict safety protocols.
When Peevine was photographed he decided to aim in the direction of the camera.

There are a couple of items (circled in red) that need to be attended to in this picture. On the left
there is a modern 5 gallon plastic bucket, and on the right we have a rather shocked French Jack.

Also, Peevine's ear plugs could use some masking.

Here is a close up of French Jack who obviously thinks Peevine has had enough of my harassment.

Here, the picture has been cropped which took care of the bucket and the peeping French Jack.
A little touch up with the "Clone Tool" and the earplugs have disappeared.

Here is Peevine's photo antiqued.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Delmonico

Dutch I love those, I just got a decent program so I'm going back and fixing some.

These one from the Filley Stone barn in 2006 are great, a good caption would be:

"Ahh, Oscar, someone has showed up and is taking our picture, stash the plastic veggy bags." ;D

"OK Del, you don't think the plastic Jerry Can will show do you?" ::)

A trip to the local coffee roaster and adding a couple large burlap bags to the gear keeps the veggys sorted and the plastic bags hidden. :)

BTW 1940's pull type plow and disc barely visible in the upper right hand corner are OK, it was a harvest feastable demoing farm equipment to the modern era.

And yes, be a smart arse and take digital picture of someone showing someone how to use a digatal camera and your faults will show up. :D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Oh, I forgot Leo,

the large airtite of tamaters wasn't a problem, esp if the can would have been pointed forward and sown the tamater pic, not the label that tells you how good it is for you.

Cans like that are normally in the cupboard, but that one was empty and had been set out on a picnik table as a butt can for folks walking around.   ;D  Got moved over there at supper time.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Leo Tanner

That was the one I didn't see at first but then caught when you said there was two.  Didn't think they labeled #10 cans so extensively ;D

Roland Deschain

Delmonico

Quote from: Leo Tanner on July 13, 2008, 12:52:45 PM
That was the one I didn't see at first but then caught when you said there was two.  Didn't think they labeled #10 cans so extensively ;D

Yep would have had a 'tamater picture, said 6 1/2 pounds and a brand name. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Dutch Limbach

Quote from: Delmonico on July 13, 2008, 11:46:37 AM
...stash the plastic veggy bags." ;D

Del, a gent I used to Rendezvous with, Jack Vandenbark, used to refer to those as "Buffalo bladders". ;)

Jack claimed there were two kinds of Buffalo bladders, plain and ziplock.
-- G. K. Chesterton

-- Stephen King

Trinity

Quote from: Delmonico on July 12, 2008, 05:31:13 PM
Bill's thread about the sunglasses got me to thinking about how often we try to get a good period looking photo and when we down-load or develope there is something, not always our fault that just happened to get in the photo. ::)

With me it is most often a tourist type, in shorts, sandles and a T-Shirt, but I've got a few that have some rather funny things in them from time to time.  I'm working on some at home right now, but have had this one for a while.  Did not use my lantern or even better went to the pick-up and drug out the six cell Mag-Lite and sweep things before. Was an about midnight and I can't go to bed, but I'm bored thing. :D

Don't want this to become a thread picking on anyone, just wanting to have a little fun at our own expense. :)

And from out in the brush behind the woodpile the Sepia makes it PC one. ;D

Dig in the photo files, fess up and we'll all have some laughs.

Del, I love looking at period camps and particularly like looking at your kitchen. 

Being a lantern geek, I noticed yours.  Just by glancing, I would guess that they are the Dietz "Comet" which is not PC for the 1800s. 

http://lanternnet.com/faqs.htm#8-day

I've got a bunch of old Dietz lanterns and love 'em but unfortunately don't have any from our time period.  The pictures below are not from my collection. :(

Here's a non-Dietz that is supposed to be from the 1870's

Here's another non-Dietz from ca. 1872

Dietz Nr. 10 ca. 1880s  This one looks to be close to yours in design, but it is taller, has smooth air tubes and notice the difference in the globe.

Did you know that J.B. Stetson was also involved in lanterns?  Well, not John B., but ... ;D

To your question, do you think anyone would notice the fake cows in the background? ;D

Click to enlarge

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Dr. Bob

Trinity,

Them there steers look like they wood  ;) ::) ;D cook up tough!  Don't look very appetizing to me.  Now, Del may have a secret receipt?? ::) ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Delmonico

Quote from: Dr. Bob on July 14, 2008, 12:18:34 AM
Trinity,

Now, Del may have a secret receipt?? ::) ;D ;D

Feed them to the temites and eat them. ;D

Trinity, good eye on the lanterns, one of the "need better" items" some cheapies I bought when some craft store was selling them out at the end of the summer, for 49 cents I wish they would have had more, bought them in 2001 and they are still going. ;D

Quote from: Dutch Limbach on July 13, 2008, 06:56:22 PM
Del, a gent I used to Rendezvous with, Jack Vandenbark, used to refer to those as "Buffalo bladders". ;)

Jack claimed there were two kinds of Buffalo bladders, plain and ziplock.

I like that, got some I got from some of them Wolly Mammoths Jefferson hoped that The Corps of Discovery found out there.  Funny thing are they are an ugly green. ;D

This one made the front page of the Lincoln paper in July 2001.  My normally hidden water jug was out in plain site and had a bunch of plastic cups around it. ;D  The EMT's kept it filled with ice water so we could maybe save them any more trips to town, was 105 when the picture was taken. ::)

Notice even though the photgrapher talked Matt into splitting some more wood, Jerry and I stayed under the awning in the shade. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Trinity

And then you eat the termites, right? ;D

Yeah, gotta do sumpin' about fattenin' up them beeves. :-\

Yep, in that kind of heat, under the awning is better than under the sun.  There's something fun about enduring the elements when everyone else is at home in the AC.  Now, ask me again after a rain storm and after freezing weather.  I might have changed my mind. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Steel Horse Bailey

What a GREAT thread!

I sure enjoy it when folks can laugh and make fun of themselves without someone else gettin' their knickers in a bunch!  Or pickin' apart someone's range photos (snapshots, not the set-up kind) that accidentally have a soda can.  ;)

Trinity said:

"To your question, do you think anyone would notice the fake cows in the background?"

Gee ... I thought that you and Sod-Buster Tom were better friends than that - callin' him a cow and all.  An' a fake one at that.

:D ;D ;D ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Leo Tanner

I always wanted ta say somethin about that cute little horsey in Irish Tom's avitar but didn't have the nerve til I saw them cows ;D

Leo

Roland Deschain

Pitspitr

I'm surprised the picture of me tending to GAF business (when I thought I was the only one in the room) hasn't showed up.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com