Inspector cartouches

Started by minerotago, July 09, 2008, 06:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minerotago

Does anyone know of a Website that gives a list of the inspectors of US firearms and their letters. Currently I am trying to identifiy the inspector of my Spencer - the stamp or cartouche is LCA on the stock immediately behind the saddle ring bar. It also has what appears to be  a raised dimple on the underside of the forend which on close examination is almost certainly a stamp as well although very small and now for some reaosn upraised - II am 99% certain it reads T50 - can anyone shed any light on the Inspector initials and the small forend stamp. The carbine is a Model 1865 Burnside manufactured Spencer.

Major 2

Dixie Gun Works Catalog has the listing of US inspectors

I don't have mine handy but I'll look for it
when planets align...do the deal !

Two Flints

LCA = Lucius C. Allin, Armory S-1, 1859  ???  ??? 

The following info from the Marcot book may be of help to you Minerotago.  If the pages are hard to read, just place your cursor on each page and right click on your mouse and this will allow you to print each page for a better look.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

minerotago

Thanks Major 2 and Two Flints

You have both been real helpful. This must mean that my Spencer is refurbished away back. I do not think that the receiver can have been touched as the markings are pretty crisp and clear as is the serial number and if anything has been done to the stock then I could only assume that it had been replaced as the wood stands proud of the metal which might indicate that it had not been sanded or refinished and the only cartouche or sign of one is the LCA one.

The barrel is three groove rifling but in no way can I find that it has had a sleeve put into it so once again make the assumption that the three groove rifling is original for a Burnside 1865 Carbine.

At one one stage I thought that my one may have been one which was made and sent off shore to France or somewhere but any US guns or guns in general that come into New Zealand via England are stamped with Britush proof marks. I would like to think that my one had seen service out west in the US of A and not on some foreign battlefield.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com