Hopkins and Allen No. 6

Started by Deadguy, July 02, 2008, 01:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadguy

My brother in law found an old Hopkins and Allen No. 6 in the floorboards of his grandmother's attic.  He swears that it is a .38 caliber model, though everything that I have found online only lists the No. 6 as a .32 caliber.  I know it's bouble action, but it's made for black powder cartridges and is the right vintage for this board, so I though that I'd ask you guys about it and see if anyone knows anything about these.
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

St. George

There are a number of posts on these early pocket revolvers - both here, and in the 'Historical Society' forum.

They touch on some of the history, as well as their maintenance and loads.

A thorough review of the 'back pages' of both forums should tell you what you want to know.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

French Jack

My collector's guide, lists them as both made in 32S&W and 38S&W.
French Jack

St. George

There's a product called 'Frontier Metal Cleaner' that looks like a big 'Char-Boy' and can usually be found at a gun show.

It cleans dirt and rust - and does a helluva job, without affecting eithe the blue or nickel finish.

What it'll do is remove the rust and leave the nickel intact, but with the rust spots appearing 'dark' and/or pitted - depending on the actual damage.

Carefully remove the grips (hard rubber cracks easily) and clean them with a soft toothbrush to get into the design's crevices.

Remove the cylinder (it's self-explanatory) and run brushes through it and the barrel - and then 'hose' out the interior with a spray lubricant/cleaner.

That'll blow out the old dried oils and small nests that are often found, and will allow you to clean the piece without disassembling further.

Probably a good thing, since it's all pinned in place...

Pay attention to any place you can scrape detritus from - then put a lube on the cylinder pin and reassemble.

These 'are' shootable revolvers.

They're not all that accurate, and parts breakage is a very real problem - but they can be safely shot with the proper load.

Parts are located in other folks' guns...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com