44-40 Schofield and BP

Started by Four Eyed Floyd, June 30, 2008, 08:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Four Eyed Floyd

Just got a 44-40 Schofield clone and all the dies for reloading. I have a couple of questions:
1. What primers? I know they are not small so should it be Large pistol? Large pistol Magnum?  :-\
2. Will the BP foul the Uberti Schofield? (I heard the 38 Schofield has less problems with BP)  :-[
3. The bollitts are still just 44 right? ???
Thanks pards in advance!  ;D
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Pettifogger

1.  Large pistol.  Regular or magnum depends on what powder you are using if shooting smokeless.  Makes no difference in handgun loads with BP or any of the BP subs.

2.  They foul very quickly with real BP.  The modern reproductions do not have the gas ring (a shield between the cylinder gap and the base pin) the originals had so they are not well suited to BP.

3.  The Ubertis use a regular .429 or .430 bullet.

Four Eyed Floyd

8)Thanks that really helps. bought some 429 bollitts today and some large pistol primers (not magnum) now all I need is universal hand primer and I am ready togo.  ;D
I have heard that the 44-40 does not foul quite as much because it is not straight walled. I don't know if that is true maybe D.D. will know? ???
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

Pettifogger

Quote from: Four Eyed Floyd on July 01, 2008, 06:30:00 PM
8)Thanks that really helps. bought some 429 bollitts today and some large pistol primers (not magnum) now all I need is universal hand primer and I am ready togo.  ;D
I have heard that the 44-40 does not foul quite as much because it is not straight walled. I don't know if that is true maybe D.D. will know? ???

In a rifle the .44-40 does foul as much because you don't get any blow back.  The problem in the Schofield isn't blow back, its fouling on the front of the cylinder and base pin.

Dick Dastardly

The Marshall's own 'Gun Butter' is the best thing I've found for cylinder base pins.  It seems to keep working even when it gets a lot of black soot in it.  Get some from Marshall Holliway right here on the CAS City wire and it will help keep your Schofields running.

DD-DLoS

http://www.cascity.com/store/gunbutter.htm
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Four Eyed Floyd

Thanks DD I just order some. How are the molds coming along?  ???
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

Dick Dastardly

Two weeks ago, I was #40 in the cue.  I called Monday and was told that I am #11.  So, at that rate, I ought to have Mavs to sell soon.  I'll run up a signal soon as they show.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Four Eyed Floyd

Thanks DD. By the way I liked the picture of you on the wooden horse at the BP shoot. Smoke and Boom...can't beat it! ;D 8)
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com