stoeger question

Started by andy42s, June 28, 2008, 09:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy42s

I have a stoeger uplander SxS. It was a little stiff to open, and I noticed the extractor seemed to be binding up. The pins seemed to be tight in the barrel latch, as well as being jammed between the barrels. I took a fine file to the pins and the sides of the extractor. I'm afraid I went a little too far  :-[. My question is, does the extractor help seal the chamber at all? Does the rim of the shell create the seal? I'm afraid of gasses and pressure escaping in the areas I marked in red. Am I fine, or could this result in explosion and death? Thanks!

Major 2

Assuming you filed the extractor and not the barrel why not order a new extractor ?
Just to be safe...
Being Stoeger is now in the Beretta/Uberti/Benneli merger..I'm thinking VTI or Stoeger should be able to help you.

AS to the issue, When I had a Stoeger I had to deburr the hole the extractor pin slid into.
I also had to polish the chambers...This was on a Pre- B/U/B Coach Gun
when planets align...do the deal !

Pettifogger

The rim doesn' create a seal so don't worry about it.  If you have ever seen a really good chamber coning job you would probably be horrified.  However, it doesn't hurt a thing.  The head of the shot shell is solid and doesn't expand if the shell is loaded to standard shotgun pressures.  The seal is created by the sides of the shell expanding against the chamber wall.  I wouldn't waste money buying a new extractor.  (Assuming Stoeger would even sell you the parts.  They are pretty notorious for not providing replacement parts.)

andy42s

yeah, I was thinking of trying to get a new extractor to be safe. I don't really know if it's too loose or not. I didn't put any feeler gauges in there, so I'm not sure what the clearance is, and I don't know what the tolerances are. I was also thinking of just test firing it from a safe distance.

litl rooster

what kind of shells are you shooting?

I found shooting some factory loads would cause  the Stoeger to lock up so tight it wouldn't open. I change factory loads and it stopped.  I have also not have had it happen with BP loads.  The Stoeger is a great gun but they need some fine adjustments.
  Like Pettifogger stated I am not sure Stoeger will sell you the part unless you are a licsenced smith or dealer
Mathew 5.9

Pettifogger

Quote from: andy42s on June 28, 2008, 12:20:42 PM
yeah, I was thinking of trying to get a new extractor to be safe. I don't really know if it's too loose or not. I didn't put any feeler gauges in there, so I'm not sure what the clearance is, and I don't know what the tolerances are. I was also thinking of just test firing it from a safe distance.

The rim in this area does nothing as far as sealing the breach.  If its not falling out of the gun, don't worry about it.  Here's a pic of an SKB with a competition coned breach.  Yours is absolutely OK.

kid sheleen

You're fine the way it is.  If you want to slick that sxs up a bit and make it easier to open and use for CAS there are a few different step by step instructions on the internet.  Just type in "slicking up a stoeger" in your search engine and you'll find 'em.  Here's one I know about. www.marauder.homestead.com

Kid :)
kid
www.circlemleather.com

andy42s

Thanks for the replies everyone! Pettifogger,WOW  :o! I certainly didn't go that far with mine. I just wasn't sure how the shells sealed, if it was the sides or the rims. I feel much better now. BTW, I usually shoot Winchester AA. It is a little stiff to open, even unloaded. It isn't bad compaired to other people's I've read about, having to use a knee and what-not. I just want to slick it up so it will open one-handed. Thanks again  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com