New Book Released on Henry Rifle

Started by Fox Creek Kid, June 27, 2008, 11:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye Don

Thanks for the information Kid.  Amazon.com doesnt even have a listing for it yet.  $100  seems a bit steep. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Henry4440

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on June 27, 2008, 11:36:35 AM
https://store.bluebookinc.com/Ecom/ProductDetail.aspx?Industry=1&id=265

Order my book directly from Les Quick.He send me a email and wrote:
'There are 245 color pictures and 26 black and white pictures.  It is a book designed for the collector and student of the Henry Rifle.  There is something for everyone in the book.  There is also a section on ammunition.'

Can't wait to get the book.

;)

Chase

Fox Creek Kid,

Did the author say he would autograph your copy?  A first edition autographed copy would help to justify the price a bit.
Chase
NCOWS
NRA
VisionQuest '87 PA to FL via covered wagon
"If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?"--John Wayne

Peter M. Eick

It is an excellent book.  I bought a copy this week and have only flipped through the pages.  I am sort of saving to read over the holidays. 

I strongly recommend that anyone who is interested in the Henry's buy a copy just for the pictures.  Some are just amazing.  Particularly the iron framed examples and the case hardening pictures. 

Buck Stinson

You probably won't find it anywhere, except to order them diretly from Les.  He only had 2000 copies printed and he sold at least 1/3 of those at the shows in Cody this past few weeks.  If you can't find one and want a copy, send me a personal message and I may be able to scrounge up some copies or at least send you in the right direction.  The book sells for $100 plus shipping, with the limited leather bound edition at $200 per copy.  It's a great book and well worth the investment if you have more than a passing interest in Henry Rifles.

Adios,
Buck

Tuolumne Lawman

I have the Sword book, and it was quite a bit cheaper.  If I wasn't paying $4.20 for gas and $4.79 for diesel, I might be tempted though.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Peter M. Eick

Can you give me the details on the sword book?  I have not heard of that one.

Deadeye Don

Wiley Sword.  The Historic Henry Rifle. Copyright  2002, 2006.  About 100 pages.  Color pictures and black and white.   Details history, including inception and sales, martial Henry rifles, serial numbers,  and partial list of historically documented Henries.   I found the price to be a bit steep considering the size of the book.   However, there are so few books written specifically on the Henry that you might want it for your library.  Regards.  Deadye.

Peter M. Eick

Thanks.  I will find one online somewhere.

Fox Creek Kid

I ordered the Les Quick book yesterday as IMO it's best not to hesitate on the first run of a specialty gun book as once they're gone the price goes through the roof, e.g., McDowell's conversion book.  ;)

Fox Creek Kid

As one poster pointed out earlier: the photos are superb!!  :o  I received my copy today and all I can say is YOU NEED THIS BOOK!!! The author certainly did his research. Now order one before they are all gone and you'll be whining that they are $250 on Ebay!!  ;D :D ;)

Deadeye Don

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Deadeye Don on July 17, 2008, 07:19:08 PM
Cowboys dont whine.   ;D

But they DO sniffle. A little.  Sometimes.  But not when anyone can hear them.

::) ::)

;D

Hey - how many Cowboys did (does) it take to screw in one of them new-fangled light-bulb thingies?

NONE !

Cowboys ain't afraid of the dark!

:o ::) ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Henry4440

Got my book today.It's fantastic with SUPERB photos.
This is my favorite, as you can see in my profile. ;D

Not the way to store your Henry's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)

Peter M. Eick

I agree. 

When I saw that picture I just sat and stared.  Can you picture how long that shot took to set up?  Then try and figure out how many of the originals are shown in that one shot!

I was awed!

Fox Creek Kid

After reading the book twice I have some opinions. I wish he would have gathered a little more info in some areas, e.g., he says NO Henry carbines were sold publicly when it is documented that Luther "Yellowstone" Kelly had & used one as it still survives to this day. Here it is, eighth gun down:

http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1860/model_60.shtml

Also, I wish he would have shared his personal opinions more, such as whether he thinks the iron frame Henry rifles were made by Colt and the great mystery of why no regular Henry rifles are found in the 13,000 range.  ???  Perhaps this latter question is because of the fracas between Wiley Sword & Herbert Houze over when the first Model '66 appeared.  ;)

Henry4440

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on July 28, 2008, 02:23:40 PM
After reading the book twice I have some opinions. I wish he would have gathered a little more info in some areas, e.g., he says NO Henry carbines were sold publicly when it is documented that Luther "Yellowstone" Kelly had & used one as it still survives to this day. Here it is, eighth gun down:

Except fom the Luther 'Yellowstone' Kelly Henry Carbine, i know of only two other carbines.
The one that they made for the evaluation in Jan.21 1864 that was given to Maj.A.B.Dyer of t he Ordnance Department.
In Wiley Swords book, 'The Historic Henry Rifle' you can see a pic of this carbine on page 92.
In August 1864 they masde a second test.It appears to be the same very carbine submitted in Jan.'64 for trial, with perhaps some minor modifications.They used a .44 cartridge with 36 grains powder and a ball weighting 324 grains,accuracy tests at ranges of 350-500 yards were unimpressive.

And the second with sn.343 made 1862 with an 20" barrel.
http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1860/M60-00343/model_60_00343.shtml

;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com