Author Topic: Now this is Irony...  (Read 8511 times)

Offline Thai Fighter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Garrish and "B Western" Cheesy since '67
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Now this is Irony...
« on: June 22, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »
On the recommendation of River City John, I've popped over here to kick back and listen.  Well, this is irony I've come realize.

I'm living down here in south Texas away from any NCOWS posse, and I used to live in Omaha just across the river from Council Bluffs!  NCOWS seems right up my alley and more my cup of tea than SASS (I'm not knocking them BTW).  I'm more interested in being a live historian, than stone honing every millisecond of advantage out of my clones or selling out to Rugers ;).  Oh well, I'm here now and I'll keep a weather eye out to anything I can partake out in either my travels, or local.

JD

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
Re: Now this is Irony...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:57:45 PM »
Belonging to the Club as only a member is still good.  No local posse here in St. Louis but have been a member for 10 years (1998).  In that time I have only been to 3 Nationals and 2 Conventions.  Been part of CAS since 1990.

The Group and members are very friendly and enjoyable.  I enjoy being a member to only this group.

Welcome and hope you join in.

Black River Smith

Offline Thai Fighter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 11:08:15 PM »
Thanks Black River Smith.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:58:47 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:59:37 AM »
Unfortunately NCOWS is non-existent here in Texas. I live in the Metroplex and nothing up here.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:33:36 AM »
Sounds like it is about time the great state of Texas got an NCOWS posse!! 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 07:33:05 AM »

".... more interested in being a live historian, than stone honing every millisecond of advantage our of my clones or selling out to Rugers " . 

JD

pertty much sums up my thoughts ... we have the same problem here in Florida.. There is just Cutter Carl & Myself that I know of.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline J.R. Logan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:36:44 AM »
You know if there is a SASS club near by you, you could always find some other like minded people and ask the SASS club if you could use their targets and range on a different weekend to have a NCOWS shoot.  Who knows you might find there are more of you than you think in your area.  You might have to offer some kind of payment for use of the targets and range but most of the time match fees will cover this cost and still have money left over.

Hope this helps.  Where there is a will there is a way or even a Major.

J. R. Logan

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 12:03:50 PM »
If I get moved to south TX as planned I will try to start up a posse down there.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »
 ;D

Been there, done that, there one or two that may listen, but generally they have SASS the second weekend and W3G the third of every month.
Then the Muzzleloaders meet somewhere in there too...
SASS & W3G seems to fill their needs....

I tried NON Cas Reenactors as well, now this may bare fruit, as High gas/Fuel prices may find them not willing to go the long trips.
I stepped down from active mounted reenacting after 28 years in 2001....when Diesel was $1.30- 1.50 around here, even $0.96 on the Fla/Ga border. Now it's $5.05 a gal. :o in town.

Point is, Local shoots and Living history may well be the only thing left, and then splurge on the once a year National ( welll worth the Trip ) for most of us .

Offline Thai Fighter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »
If I get moved to south TX as planned I will try to start up a posse down there.

Make sure you get in touch with me if you do. 

As for the other issues, I haven't yet gone to the local SASS monthlies.  I've just started wading in with my gun order, and referral from the SASS guy in my IDPA shooting group.  He's about the competition and not the historical accuracy (recommended I didn't get an open top because the SAAs are quicker and more reliable to compete with), I just want to shoot my replica conversions at other than paper targets at an indoor range, and more than once every other month.  Want an IDPA-like challenge, but with the 1870s feel...  Ya feel me on that?!?  :)

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 01:34:41 PM »
"...recommended I didn't get an open top because the SAAs are quicker and more reliable to compete with"

He’s a gamer and that's his cup, and that's fine, other opinions will vary...

The Gamers here mostly use Rugers ( one does use R&D Converson Remingtons ) 76's & 97's

I'll shoot my Conversions, Henry & SXS... and enjoy the day , without the stress of speed  ;D

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 02:06:02 PM »
Forget the gamers!  They have their fun.  Nothing wrong with that!

However, Open Tops are WAAAY cool!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »
....xactly  ;D

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »

Brent......

Let me know when you get settled......I'll pack my Apache outfit and gear, load some horses & 19th century tack, head down to your new place in Texas and we'll make a raid across the river into Mexico.....

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 02:51:37 PM »
Forget the gamers!  They have their fun.  Nothing wrong with that!

However, Open Tops are WAAAY cool!
....xactly  ;D

Sorry boys.......but gamers belong at their daughter's soccer game, son's little league baseball game, or SASS....NCOWS needs to weed these guys out!!

JMHO....& that the opinion that counts!!

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 481
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 05:06:54 PM »
Thai Fighter,
Welcome! Glad you came on over.

We have many members who belong to both NCOWS and SASS. NCOWS has some very good shooters, also, so don't form the wrong impression. We like to see a smooth shooter work their magic just as much as any other shooting organization. It boils down to the same thing,- the amount of practice time you're willing to put in honing your skills with the firearm of your choice. There are folks in NCOWS, too, who are every bit as much gamers in their own right. They've chosen to use Open Tops, or Schofields, or double actions(something you won't see at SASS), and yes, many use SAA or Ruger Vaccaros, but feel that shooting skill should come honestly, though, without relying on modern modifications and tricked-out hardware.

Actually, I think the shooting part of it is just about the same in any of the CAS organizations.

One of the biggest draws to NCOWS has been the same sentiment you've expressed, that you're a bit more interested in the history behind the era we emulate and not caught up so much in the 'arms race' that so many shooting sports eventually evolve into. The initial price of assembling a basic outfit,- clothing, guns, leather gear etc. is expensive enough without being made to feel that you can't compete unless by tripling or quadrupling the cost of any firearm with special modifications.

What OCB is expressing is that NCOWS Congress has worked hard to weed out the encroaching carryover of that 'arms race' mentality by self-regulating ourselves through By-Law changes as far as arms and equipment. There are all types who make up the NCOWS membership, from those who constantly seek to improve their impression to those who are satisfied to put together an appropriate basic outfit that meets the minimum requirements. As our Marshall has said many times, our organization is a big tent and better yet, it hasn't been a weeding out so much as a raking in,- we've seen a renaissance within NCOWS, all drawn because we encourage everyone to foster pride in the history of this era and a desire for getting it right.   

So, from your statement that you're taking it slow and going to sample a lot of the information and tips out there tells me you're doing it right.
Any of the Pards in here will be glad to help.
Also visit our website, www.ncows.org , and read over the By-Laws and information there.

Be seeing you at a future NCOWS event. :)
RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 01:02:08 AM »
Sorry boys.......but gamers belong at their daughter's soccer game, son's little league baseball game, or SASS....NCOWS needs to weed these guys out!!

Bill, I love you, man, but sometimes I wish you'd quit pussyfooting around the point and just come out and say what you think.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »
RCJ, you had me at "welcome."  :)

While it's been frustrating for me to get up and runnin' as quickly as I'd hoped (having spent 10 yrs thinkin' about it), I must say that there's plenty to occupy one's time with, productively : purusing the assorted commentaries here at CASCity.

The other thing I've particulalry enjoyed is simply making the shopping list.  NCOWS is a terrific navigation system for this.  There is so much knowledge being shared by its members that it becomes pretty easy to define, redefine and then refine that persona to make oneself into a living historian.  Ya get yourself in the hunt, the pursuit, of finding one's character.  It's light years away from standing face to face with the TV screen, getting ready to outdraw Arvo Ojala.  Not that that sceanrio isn't just as present today as it was so long ago.  Truth be told, I pulled a muscle breakin' in my new Carrico holster!  No kiddin'.  :-[

Closest NCOWS club to me is 6 hrs (Cleveland to IN).  Until that trip is made (and the Nationals some day), I thoroughly enjoy the monthly SASS matches near me.  Friendly & funny group and a few of 'em are historic, one fellow is straight out of B movie and it's all a hoot.  And some of these guys can shoot, yes sir.  Gamers, sure,they'll consult the rule book, etc.  They are skilled.  They make a pop/tink sound.  Only a few go boom/clang.  I'm goin' for the latter.  Doesn't matter.  But I will advise the RO, in case he has a preference for upwind or down.  Everybody knows what they're doin', they enjoy what they're doin' and they're generous face-to-face, just like the folks here.

See what ya got me goin' on, RCJ?  :'( :'(

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 03:03:20 PM »
Bill, I love you, man, but sometimes I wish you'd quit pussyfooting around the point and just come out and say what you think.

Frenchie......
If its still crawlin....ya gotta hit it with the hammer again.....a little bit of wisdom I brought back from the jungles of Vietnam
;)

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Thai Fighter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 01:39:27 PM »

Well now that I've got two guns... I'm itching to do some shooting!  When you going to find out if you're headed to Texas?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com