SMVS Range Condition update June 22, 2008, 10:50am

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, June 22, 2008, 10:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottawa Creek Bill

It looks as though this months shoot is canceled. Pat & I drove down to the range yesterday morning and the closest we could get was about 75 yards from the entrance.

I talked to Dave Hollandsworth (our Posse Marshal) and we thought it best to cancel for safeties sake.

They've closed the road to the range but we were able to drive around the signs to a point where the road is completely gone. A creek culvert going under the road is gone and there is a five foot deep by eight foot in its place.

The road to the upper range has a three foot deep trench at the foot of the incline going up to the log cabin.

Glenn McClain the range caretaker says Bear Wallow road  (the road to the range) and Richards road were the two roads most damaged in Brown county, the county is broke and have applied for grants to fix the roads (information via Glenn McClain).

We've emailed our members we have email addresses for and I will call those tonight that don't

I'll try to let everyone know when they start repair work on the road.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Deadeye Don

Sad news Bill.  Thanks for keeping us up to date.  I feel really bad for those homeowners living in that general area.  Mother nature got us good this year.   :(
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Steel Horse Bailey

An update on the update - Dave won't be able to do ANY checking about any other ranges for a while.  I'm sorry to say that a trip to the horse-pistol (hospital    ::) ) might be in his very near future.

He was thinking about trying to get Mr. Crull to let (for a fee) us shoot at the Modoc range.  I'm going to call and see what - if anything - I can do.  He may have had other ranges in mind - I don't know; but the only one WE discussed was Modoc.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Deadeye Don

Tjackstephens

SMVS, let me invite you all back to Red Brush range this Saturday. It is a SASS club but they let us NCOWS shoot Working Cowboy. Think they sign up at 9 am and shoot at 10 am, that's Central time. That's the range where we shot our National side matches. They usually shoot 5 to 6 stages. Be good to have you. TJ (might go to their web site to make sure on the time)
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Tjackstephens on June 24, 2008, 07:11:58 PM
SMVS, let me invite you all back to Red Brush range this Saturday. It is a SASS club but they let us NCOWS shoot Working Cowboy. Think they sign up at 9 am and shoot at 10 am, that's Central time. That's the range where we shot our National side matches. They usually shoot 5 to 6 stages. Be good to have you. TJ (might go to their web site to make sure on the time)

I think I can speak for our whole outfit when I say "thank you," Texas Jack!

What I can't do is say yes or no!

I WOULD encourage any of our members to take you up on that fine offer - 'specially our friends from Southern Indiana who may be closer to Red Brush than Modoc!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Deadeye Don

TJ,   Very kind offer.  Thank you.  When I heard the Martinsville range was closed,  I went ahead and planned work on Saturday.  Thanks again for very nice offer.   I am hoping we can have a shoot next month, but it sounds like the range or at least roads leading to the range are dangerous and messed up pretty bad.   Perhaps we should all rent some horses?

Tjackstephens

I just thought if you had no place to shoot this week end maybe some would come on down. Shooting working cowboy does not demand a lot of ammo, one handgun and one rifle. Several could load up in a van and head out to Red Brush. Would be happy to see you. Of course if you do have a place there, I understand. If not, the invitation stands. Take care and hope to see you soon. Maybe I can make it up your way before long. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Ottawa Creek Bill

TJ......

Appreciate the offer to shoot with you all.

We're in the process of putting together an alternative route to the range.

Its a little longer and we're a little concerned about getting some of our city slicker members lost in the deep woods, and accidentally happening upon a moonshine still & one or more of the locals (with their front teeth missing) making an appearance.........vivid memories of the film Deliverance comes to mind. ;D

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Deadeye Don

Tjackstephens

Fellows with the Evansville weather report for Saturday, don't know if I will make it to Red Brush. Sure hope your weather will be better. Got to make it up and shoot with you all before long. TJ  :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com