Question for Richards Transition Type II owners

Started by Thai Fighter, June 19, 2008, 10:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thai Fighter

Can any Richards Transition Owner verify that the  Uberti/Cimarrons have the "two-fingered" hand?  Thanks in advance.

JD

Deadeye Don

Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Crow Scout

Thai,

I wish I had one to give you a definate answer but unfortunately I don't.  However, the hand would almost have to be double fingered.  If it wasn't then that would be mean the ratchets on the cylinder were inline with the chambers......... and they simply wouldn't do that for a couple of reasons.  I'd bet it all that they were double as opposed to singles. 

BTW, I like the name.  It's nice to see that I'm not the only CAS member of Thai descent.

Flint

The Richards and RM conversions had the rachet recut at Colt's to put the teeth between the chambers to clear the rim recess cuts.  This caused the hand to engage higher, so the pawl was lengthened to reach the rachet tooth that had moved upward.

Since the tooth moved upward, it rotated out of engagement sooner, so the bottom pawl picks up the next lower rachet tooth to finish the rotation.  At the top of the stroke, the hand's top pawl  is beside the top rachet tooth, and helps hold the position of the cylinder, braced between the hand and the bolt.

Cap & ball rachet teeth were located almost on center with the chambers, so a single step pawl would do the job.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Abilene

Yes, two-fingered hand.  Except for the barrel assembly, they are pretty much the same thing as the Richards-Mason conversions.

Thai Fighter

Thanks for the answers!  I ordered a pair through Nate Kiowa Jones and he was wondering what he was going to be dealing with once (and if) they arrive ;)

Keep you posted.  Crow Scout, sending a PM your way!

Abilene

Howdy Thai,
what caliber did you order?  Because Cimarron only has .38 Spcl in stock right now (and one .44 Colt, I think).

Thai Fighter

Quote from: Abilene on June 20, 2008, 11:32:49 PM
Howdy Thai,
what caliber did you order?  Because Cimarron only has .38 Spcl in stock right now (and one .44 Colt, I think).

Steve's Guns put me on the list for .44 Colt, and if they don't get those in the "August shipment", he's got a placeholder in for .44 spl/mag.

I'm almost leaning to just getting .38 spl, but I want to shoot in Classic Cowboy.  Despite my avatar, I'm trying to stay away from snap buttons, shield shirts, and frilly fringes ;)

Deadeye Don

Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

River City John

Quote from: Thai Fighter on June 20, 2008, 11:36:45 PM
I'm almost leaning to just getting .38 spl, but I want to shoot in Classic Cowboy.  Despite my avatar, I'm trying to stay away from snap buttons, shield shirts, and frilly fringes ;)
My favorite main match revolver is my Open Top in .38sp.

I think we're going to have an NCOWS convert in you, Thai. ;D

Many folks have joined several CAS organizations so they can have the freedom to shoot ANY which way the mood takes 'em. There is a category in NCOWS called The Originals where folks have had the fun of putting together the historical documentation, through reference books or period catalog reprints and the like, for everything they have assembled to use. Always some concessions to the modern world, i.e. calibers available in certain arms, but the fun is 'imagineering' your persona from the Old West, with its myriad of occupations and characters. They compile a brief biography outlining how they came to be dressed and armed as they have chosen. This research becomes a small portion of the scoring at an event if you're shooting that category, and it is becoming a popular category. The nice thing is everyone is very helpful and shares references and documentation, so as the core of Originals grows the research is the easiest to put together. So the hardest, er, rather, fun part is dreaming up your storyline.  It is a 2-gun category. 

RCJ 
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Thai Fighter

Quote from: Deadeye Don on June 21, 2008, 06:21:16 AM
I love my 44 colt Richards 11

Deadeye, though I've not yet owned a pair, I've always loved the 1860 Army Conversion!  Since seeing one in a photo over 25 years ago, I've been smitten with the lines and inherent beauty.  But I didn't have J. Gren money, a conversion was beyond my reach.  Now I'm 40, got a good stake in life and out from the hard scrabble life of a college student, I'm a going to get me a pair!  I passed on the ASM Navies w/1860~1 frames in early '00 because I thought the Armies were just around the corner. 

7 years later isn't quite around the corner, but I'm willing to order these and wait to see if Uberti/Cimarron can deliver me my historically similiar Type IIs.  I know, I know, the bore is .429 and I'm not going to be shooting heeled or hollow base bullets, but it's close enough for this guy!

QuoteI think we're going to have an NCOWS convert in you, Thai.

River City John, is THAT what NCOWS is all about? :)  I gotta get myself over to those forums and homepage to check it out.  I don't know what the set up for my local Pistoleros is like, but I'm getting into this whole mess because I've been waiting well over half my adult lifetime for these irons and I'm not going to let them sit on the shelf, and I don't want to spent time at the indoor range just punching paper either!  MY IDPA 1911 isn't the only thing that deserves some action. 

I'll swing on over to NCOWS and find my way around.  Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com