Lyman New Model Navy Remington

Started by dlamping, June 17, 2008, 10:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlamping

Just picked up a cap and ball revolver at a gun show. On the top flat of barrel it is stamped, "Lyman Middlefield Conn.. On the left flat of barrel is has stamped "36 cal. New Model Navy. Can anyone give me info on when lyman made these revolvers or any other info.
Thanks,
Dlamping

Capt. Willard

That was the first black powder pistol I purchased used back in 1980 or so. Very nice pistols..mine is a tack driver. I think Lyman was making these back in the seventies. Lets see a pic!

hellgate

I have one from Lyman and the other is a Euroarms both made in the 1970s. Both are Euroarms guns. Look on the bottom of the barrel under the rammer near the frame and look for a circle with overlapping initials of the letters DGG (I think). That is the old Euro trademark. They have shallow rifling like Colt originals did. The newer guns now have much deeper rifling. I don't know which is better. I wouldn't be surprised the shallower rifling stays cleaner longer. Although both guns have or appear to have a smaller frame than the 44s, they are both the same dimensions as the Euroarms 44 Remington which is considerably lighter than the Uberti and ASM (largest) frames.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

dlamping

thanks for all the info. I took and stripped all the blueing off and browned it. Then put it in bleach, this gave it a antique finish. I put some tacks in the grips and put a lanyard ring on it. I really like the remingtons. Mine tends to shoot to the left alittle. Thanks for the info. will post a picture.
Thanks
Dlamping

hellgate

You can clamp the barrel into a padded vise and with a brass drift (I use an old house key on edge) tap the dovetailed front sight over a smidge.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Capt. Willard

dlamping

My brother has a colt clone 1851 navy that he has been shoting paper cartridges in it. He uses cigerette papers for the case. It works pretty well, except sometimes the paper dosen't burn all the way up. I have shot a few in my remington. Has anyone else tried paper cartridges, if so what kind of paper did you use and were did you get it. Also, any info on making your own paper.
Thanks
Dlamping

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

dlamping;  Have a look in the DARK ARTS thread, a child board of the Darksiders Den.  There is a great thread, running 5 pages on this topic.

I have made, and used, cigarette paper cartridges in .44 and .36 revolvers.  Very convenient and practical.

You get to do the fiddly stuff in front of the TV, and not in front of the targets!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com