Show us your first and your last holster!

Started by Dalton Masterson, June 13, 2008, 11:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalton Masterson

Another post got me thinking. I know we all started out (well most of us anyway) making holsters that just werent that great looking. I want to see your VERY VERY first holster ever made, and I want to see your last holster you made. You might include a few details like how long you have been doing it, what it fits, did you use it long, etc.  If you dont have your first one anymore, then the oldest one you have will work.
Show us your frankensteins...

The pic with 2 are my first ones. The flapped was my very first one I made for my Walker. Probably made it about 1994 or so. Used scrap latigo type leather and cut some buttons from antler. The other is also made from latigo scrap for my SAA. I used it in my first CAS shoot, and never again after that. ;)
The second is of my Merwin. It is the last one I have finished, but I have a few more that are very close.
I cant get the files to smaller than 102, so had to use the tiny pic.  DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

My first holster was one I put together about 30 years ago. There aren't any pictures of it and it has been gone for a lot of years. I'll round up a photo of an earlier one but it won't be representative of that first one. I could post a picture of the second project I ever made other than a small binder, though, because I still have it. I can see about finding it and take a pic if that'll work. I have pictures of the third project, too. Boy, that was some time back.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

crossdraw

First and last two
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Gents

Will Dalton, you want the first holster i made and the last, so here goes , the first holster I made was in 1955, I was eleven years old, I only have one left, my cousins kind of went through my stuff and helped them selfs, i made two holsters back then and a gun belt, i think that i might have that some where around too, these holsters were a kit , but i did my own thing with them.  ???

The last one was my Jesse James rig, I finished this , this year,2008, so here they are, don't laugh  :D ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Gun Butcher

TW, that james rig is beyond words. I have had a pattern drawn up for about a month now for a set of slim jims but I don't have the guns themselves yet. It is killin" me and then you go and post pics of yours :'(
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

crossdraw

TW
You improved slightly  ;D Thats pretty cool that you have your first holster from 55. The James rig is awesome.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Marshal Will Wingam

The first holster is a good example of form molding. I like it. Crossdraw, that last rig sure shows some nice work. I like the way you matched the color. Great job.

What a great comparison, 10W. It's nice to have your first holster still. What will you do for your next rig? That James outfit is hard to beat. ;)

Johnny McCrae

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

santee

I'll post here after I've had a full year of experience.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Dalton Masterson

Aww, Santee. I didnt think yours looked too bad! Go ahead and post em! Then in a year, come back and post a years worth of learning!

PS I added pics to my first post. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

I just want to thank the Gun Butcher, Crossdraw, and Marshal Will, for there kind comments , I spent most of my life cutting up beef, for people, and now i'm working on the hide, i'm also a Taurus the Bull, so you can see it's impossible for me to get away from COWS, Marshal Will i'm not sure what i'm going to make next, i'm still rolling it around in my mind. ??? ::) ??? ::)

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Black Powder

Dalton, this was a great idea.  It'll be some time before I make anything, but I just wanted to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed this, folks.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Dalton Masterson

BP, I wanted to show everyone that we were all beginners at one time, and maybe belay any fears of not doing it right the first few times. It just takes time to learn how to do this stuff, and every time I make a new project, I have learned something else. DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Travis Morgan

Here's my first. Made for a Blackhawk in .357.

I had given the gun to my grandad, and decided he needed some leather for it. I have the gun and holster now. Dad died last fall. I don't reckon I'll ever forget how he smiled, ran over and put on his hat, then strapped on his gunrig so he could check himself in the mirror. He looked like a kid at christmas. NEVER pass on the chance to make an old man act like a little kid.

I sure do miss him. He was my best friend. He taught me how to shoot, rope, ride broncs, work hard, and be a man. I hope my stepson remembers me with at least half as much fondness as I remember the man that raised me. http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/spurrit/Singleactions003.jpg[/img]

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Travis Morgan

Long time no talk too, I hope things are well with you. I bet your Dad really loved this rig , which is dang nice for a first holster, looks like you and Dad had a great relationship with one another, I did as well with mine , and he's always with me when I'm out in my shop , i guess thats because we spent so much time together in his shop, he's been gone for 22 years now, but like I said he's always with me, and I have his cowboy boots sitting on the mantel in my den , he always enjoyed dressing up like a cowboy, he's gone but I have a TON of memories all good ones that will be with me always, and it sounds like your Dad holds a lot of good memories for you too, I'll bet that rig you made him looked really good on him, I hope you can always picture him that way.

Take care Pard

Black Powder

Travis -

Great lookin' first effort.  Imagine you spent hours makin' it perfect for your dad and I bet he recognized that immediately.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and chances are that your stepson will have (and does have already) fond memories of you.  Great advice about makin' an old man act like a kid.  Dad's 85; I better make sure he doesn't hurt himself!   ;D

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards, I think i fell a sleep on this topic ??? For I didn't see a lot of the stuff that is on here now that I didn't see earlier :o :o.  I am not going to single any names out because there is not a one of you guys that havn't become fine leathersmith's!! :)

First pic is First holster, made a pair and the belt about Jan. or Feb. I think, done most of the work in the bedroom, didn't know anything, so I bought the book everyone told me to by.How to make Holsters by A.S. this rig I have zero dollars in, all scrap
the Second Pic will be my fourth holster made a pair, I never have made just a holster at this time, this one I have a little bit more in it, maybe $3.00. But a lot of thought!

But the big difference for me is this, you go to college and take a class, you have ONE proffesor (teacher what ever) but here for me, I have had 20 or more Mentors, big diff. from a teacher, a lot of teachers don't give 75- 100%, but Mentors give 150% :o :o
That is why I feel so BLESSED :) My next rig I am going to make will be a Hollywood 60's fast draw Double Strong crossed with a Dodge city look. I want to make a Dodge city Rig for me, but havn't sold my 44's so I can buy a pair of 1851Navy US Marshall's!

I am learning, and hope to make decent holsters someday!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dr. Bob

Ace,

WOW!!  You are a fast learner!  Your doing great! ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ace Lungger

Travis, that is a nice looking rig, is it in natural finish?

Bob, Thanks for the kind words, i have had a TON of help from the Pards on here! But all I have ever done in my life is work with my hands, and with this dang back of mine, the leatherwork is about all I can do! My hardess thing is to SLOW DOWN! ??? ???

Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice work, Travis. Balanced and clean. Looks good.

Ace, what a difference. I think you've found your place. Looking good, there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com