New Spencer carbine

Started by Sagebrush Burns, June 07, 2008, 09:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sagebrush Burns

Finally, after a three months wait, my Spencer arrived today.  Got the carbine in 45 Colt and, with the exception of the REALLY HEAVY! trigger pull, it seems a beauty.  Course the weather here is really rotten today (40s and rainy) so I didn't get to the range.  Now a question, if I may:  The manual shows how to remove the breech block and has an exploded drawing/parts list, but no instructions regarding further disassembly.  There seem to be a lot of small parts and if I'm going to work on the trigger I want to be sure to re-assemble everything the right way.  Can anyone point me towards instructions - with pictures if possible - for this procedure.  The only resource I have is "Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West" and it does not include the Spencer.  Thanks in advance for all your help...

Steel Horse Bailey

I wish I could help - - -

but I CAN say "Congratulations" about getting your new 'toy!'

;D  ;D  ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Bull Schmitt

I have never worked on a Spencer but since it has a side lock it may have some of the same problems common to a lot of muzzle loading rifles and muskets when it comes to trigger pull.

First thing to do is examine the lock for any burrs or signs of rubbing.

It probably has a very strong hammer spring and I would only mess with that as a last resort. The sear spring also may be overly strong and could benefit for being lightened. Working on springs can be tricky and I would recommend having a spare on hand before attempting to alter one.

The full cock notch in the tumbler may be too deep and also at the wrong angle. If the hammer moves backward as the trigger is pulled then the angle in the notch is wrong. The tumbler should be hard steel and will require a stone instead of a file ot make any changes to it. If it is only case hardened it may require re-hardening after being altered. If you choose to alter the tumbler go slow and check your progress often.

Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Sagebrush Burns

Bull Schmitt - thanks for the good ideas.  The Spencer is being a learning process for me.  Got it to the range and for CAS type shooting the trigger wasn't as bad as I expected.  It is heavy, but for large, close targets, not too bad.  Now the issue seems to be that it does not feed reliably from the magazine.  Hopefully a stronger magazine spring from Brownell's will solve that problem.  I'm itchy to use the gun in a match...

Bull Schmitt

I bet it will be a hoot to shoot.

I wish I had one because my great grandfather was issued one when he was stationed at Fort Laramie  in the early 1860s.
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

US Scout

Sagebrush,

I'd be interested in a report on how it shoots when you have the chance.  I have one in .44 Russian.  Its actually the second of two.  THe first one was one of the first Taylor had made and it had more problems than I care to go into.  Taylors eventually gave up trying to make it work and gave me a new one that hasn't had a problem. 

I sure do like shooting the Spencer.  It isn't fast but it is lots of fun.  Mine (both) had a heavy trigger pull (the second less so than the first one), that I've been told by Taylors can't be reduced all that much given the mechanics of the action.  Can't say as how I notice it much anymore.

US Scout
Bvt Brig Gen, GAF

Sagebrush Burns

The new spring arrived from Brownell's.  Got here very fast - they are really excellent folks to deal with.  The spring is (I suspect) actually for a Winchester '73, '76, or '86 rifle.  Quite a bit longer than I actually need (actually more than long enough to make two Spencer magazine springs).  That's OK, that's what side cutters are for.  I made a guess, cut it shorter, and installed it.  Guess what?!  Too strong.  Tried it shorter, still too strong.  Put the original back in and now it seems to feed OK.  (Two Flints, I think you were right about my jumping to conclusions!)  Got to the range again and it now seems to feed pretty good except for the last round.  If I work the lever really fast (only remembered to try it on the last magazine full) the last round seems OK too.  Now that I've shot it a bit I don't even notice the trigger pull any more.  Go figure...  I'll keep working with it - got about two weeks till the next match.  One way or another, I think (hope!) I'll be in good shape by then:  gun broken in a bit and familiar with how to work it smoothly and consistantly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com