Looking for Type IIs in .44 cal. with 5½" Barrels

Started by Mako, June 05, 2008, 11:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako

Well...
I've waited long enough. I thought I was on the short list for a pair of .44s but it appears I got passed over.  Anyone have any leads on a pair of the mystical type IIs in .44?  I don't care if they are .44 Colt or .44 Special I could ream the former and I actually plan on shooting .44 Russians in them.  Unlike most, I want the shorter barrels.  I shoot gunfighter style and have had better results with my 5½" Open Tops than my 7½" barrels with handling, drawing and reholstering.

I spoke with Abilene and he suggested Buffalo Arms but I checked with them again a couple of weeks ago.  I was supposed to be on a list at Texas Jack's which Cimarron directed me to about two years ago.  Either I got dropped or there were a lot of cowboys ahead of me wanting the 5½" barrels.  After reading the comments by most of y'all on this and other forums waiting for the Type IIs I was sure I was in the minority as far as barrel choice and I was a selfishly happy when I heard the initial shipments were in the shorter lengths.

So if anyone knows where these unicorns are hiding I would appreciate being directed towards them.

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Major 2

Your not in a minortiy as far as thinking short list  " I was supposed to be on a list at Cimarron about two & 1/2 years ago myself."
I ordered mine through my FFL in Feb. 2006... spent the Summer and Fall believing the " Not yet , 60 more days " Email replies.
I even talked to Charlie Hudson at Shot 07 and handled the 8" they brought... He said " they expected them any time, perhaps when they returned home from Orlando ".... NOPE !
Almost another year, and a supply of guns finally were ready for shipping... the 5 1/2" first and a bit later the long awaited 8" ..
But somehow I was not on the list  :-\

I think since I orderd so early, my FFL just did reconfirm.. and the order was dropped....

But the Bright side is ..in the mean time I found and bought 2 Type 1's  :)

"I'm HAPPY"

when planets align...do the deal !

litl rooster

try      http://www.friocanyonoutfitters.com/                 Tell Frio.....Augustus sent ya
Mathew 5.9

Mako

Quote from: litl rooster on June 06, 2008, 08:24:24 AM
  try      http://www.friocanyonoutfitters.com/                 Tell Frio.....Augustus sent ya

Thanks Rooster, but "no joy...."  I called him a few minutes ago.  He said he recently had a pair of the Richards-Mason Conversions in .44 Colt, not the Type IIs.  However, I greatly appreciate the lead.

Best regards,
Mako

Mako

Quote from: Major 2 on June 06, 2008, 06:53:34 AM
Your not in a minortiy as far as thinking short list  " I was supposed to be on a list at Cimarron about two & 1/2 years ago myself."
I ordered mine through my FFL in Feb. 2006... spent the Summer and Fall believing the " Not yet , 60 more days " Email replies.
I even talked to Charlie Hudson at Shot 07 and handled the 8" they brought... He said " they expected them any time, perhaps when they returned home from Orlando ".... NOPE !
Almost another year, and a supply of guns finally were ready for shipping... the 5 1/2" first and a bit later the long awaited 8" ..
But somehow I was not on the list  :-\

I think since I orderd so early, my FFL just did reconfirm.. and the order was dropped....

But the Bright side is ..in the mean time I found and bought 2 Type 1's  :)

"I'm HAPPY"

Major,
Where did you ever find a Type 1?  Were they the ASM conversions imported by Traditions a few years back?  I even have one of those in .38 spl. which they called a '61 conversion.  It has the cylinder profile of the '61s (but long enough for .38 spl), but it has the '60 grips.  

Do you have any pics of your Type 1s?  I want a pair of those in .44 (sumthin') someday, I'm probably going to have to fabricate my own using Type IIs as a starting point and adding the recoil shield with the rebounding firing pin and rear sight. Right now I don't want a heeled bullet that I would have to use with a true '60 or going up in the cartridge caliber to .45 for it to work.  But... that is a different quest.

Regards,
Mako

Sgt. Jake

Im in the same boat,been waiting on mine,no joy.      Adios  Sgt. Jake

Major 2

Quote from: Mako on June 06, 2008, 05:54:57 PM
Major,
Where did you ever find a Type 1?  Were they the ASM conversions imported by Traditions a few years back?  I have one of those in .38 spl. which they called a '61 coversion.  It has the cylinder profile of the '61s, but it has the '60 grips. 

Do you have any pics of your Type 1s?  I want a pair of those in .44 (sumthin') someday, I'm probably going to have to fabricate my own using Type IIs as a starting point and adding the recoil shield with the rebounding firing pin and rear sight. I don't want a heeled bullet that I would have to use with a true '60 or going up in the cartridge caliber to .45 for it to work.  But... that is a different quest.

Regards,
Mako

No sir.. I lucked in to one in a trade,  it's a USPFA prototype by Dave Anderson  ;D
The other is a Kenny Howell Type 1 that was listed on Gunbroker I think  :-\ ..I was the only bidder

Mako

Quote from: Major 2 on June 06, 2008, 06:37:35 PM
No sir.. I lucked in to one in a trade,  it's a USPFA prototype by Dave Anderson  ;D
The other is a Kenny Howell Type 1 that was listed on Gunbroker I think  :-\ ..I was the only bidder

Major,
I am so jealous... Actually, congratulations to you (I'm still jealous).  Some day I'll build a pair as I described.  Have you ever posted pictures of your pistols?

Regards,
Mako

Major 2

yeah ...they are on the Storm site somwhere..
The one you saw the Circle of Guns and the the two Type 1's should be there somewhere

litl rooster

Quote from: Major 2 on June 07, 2008, 11:55:45 AM
yeah ...they are on the Storm site somwhere..
The one you saw the Circle of Guns and the the two Type 1's should be there somewhere

You mean this one?

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,14776.10.html
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com