Rear sight question

Started by Grey Beard, June 01, 2008, 10:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Beard

My wife is shooting a Rossi 92 and is finding the rear sight is causing her grief.  She finds it hard to get the front sight down into the narrow notch in the rear sight.  Is there any type of peep sight that I can replace the rear sight with, either tang or reciever mounted and still keep her rifle SASS legal?
Thanks for the help. Grey Beard
Grey Beard

Pettifogger

You can't use a receiver sight and be SASS legal.  You can mount a tang sight but they are kind of pricey.  Go here and scroll down to Rossi.  http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8835&title=TANG%20SIGHTS

It's a lot easier to just take a round jewelers file and open up the rear notch.  You can find a 1/8" round file at most hobby shops.  If her Rossi is a carbine with a post made into the barrel band there are some folks that will modify it and put a bead on it.  If she has a rifle with a dovetailed front sight, it is easy to get a replacement with a big bead on it.

Grey Beard

Thanks for the link Pettifogger they are pricey so it looks like a file and a bit of elbow grease will be the solution.
Grey Beard
Grey Beard

Modoc

Greybeard,

Also look in Brownells for the Marbles Full and Semi Buckhorn signts.  I use these on all of my levers, and use them as great big aperatures.  Just sight the rifle so it hits POA when the fron sight is centered in the "horns".  I believe that the last couple that I bought were under $20 US each.

Modoc
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

ace1001

If this is Interarms it has a metric dovetail in the barrel that is hard to match.  Grind the sides to match a Winchester 9422 rear leaf and mount that.  It is a very easy to aquire sight and cost $1.50 ;D

Grey Beard

A few swipes with a file to open up the sight and the problem is fixed.  Granny Okley is back on target.   
Grey Beard

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com