New Found Opentop

Started by HorsePen Henry, May 30, 2008, 08:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HorsePen Henry

Found a new Open Top by accident today. I went in a shop today looking for a perticular item and spied this little jewel. I snapped 'er right up. She locks up tight and the trigger pull is nice and crisp. It's by Uberti and has the Cimarron stamp on the top flat.

Question: When did these Paterson revolvers begin to have the loading lever on the barrel like a Walker?  Here is a picture of the pistol below:

Thanks,

X Horse Pen  #300
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Flint

Near the end of Colt production, and used by the Ehlers Company that bought the Colt stock after the bankruptsy, the loading lever design with the rear catch was used on the Walker when Colt went back into business.

Since the Walker design is so similar, I would presume Colt designed the Patterson loading lever, and the pricelists showed loading lever equipped pistols available, written by Ehlers when he was a Colt employee (Treasurer) and Ehlers bought the remaining stock, producing the pistols himself after Colt went out of business.

Considering the smaller caliber of the Pattersons, I doubt they had the lever dropping problem the Walker has, with its heavier recoil, so the weakness of the design only showed up in use, forcing the change incorporated in the Dagoons.

Note the shape of the Dragoon lever is the baseball bat of the Walker with the front cut off to install the new catch.  Tooling and parts stock was never wasted.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Pettifogger

That is down right cool.  You see very few Pattersons with a loading lever, especially Ubertis.

piebiter

Congratulations...thats quite a find.

Henry4440

Wow, never saw an Paterson with a loading lever before.
Very interesting.

;)

St. George

You'll see the Paterson Pocket Pistols with loading levers - while most ot the Belt Pistols were without.

When found, they'll have the rounded cylinder and a cut on the recoil plate to facilitate capping.

Incidentally - the term 'Open Top' only refers to the Model 1872 Open Top .44's that immediately preceded the Colt Single Action Army of 1873, and of course the little 'Open Top' vest pocket revolver in .22.

Anything else is a 'cartridge conversion' - even those done at the Colt factory and at the Armory.

Look at Sutherland's - 'The Book of Colt Firearms' - for examples.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

HorsePen Henry

St. George,

Thanks for the lesson on the wordeology. I just figgered "Open Top" was a nickname for the Colts with no backstrap. I appreciate ya settin' me straight.

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

St. George

De nada.

Given the short time frame of use of the Paterson - it was quicky superseded by the Dragoons and the Navy before the Civil War - a beaded Slim Jim would be a great holster for it, since they probably saw more action in the Southwest, and Taos produced some fine beadwork.

Just a thought - but if you're looking, check with Chuck Burrows of Wild Rose Trading Co., - www.wrtcleather.com - I can recommend his work.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

HorsePen Henry

I have ta agree with ya. Chuck is one fine artist. :o

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Pettifogger

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Pettifogger on June 04, 2008, 01:32:24 PM
Wanna see something super cool?  Take a gander at this!

What's a kidney worth these days, I gotta spare.  Might have ta throw in the extra lung too ta meet that price.

What a beaut!

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Charlie Bowdre

OMG>>>Is there anything that would send a chill up your back more then a beauty like that.
Thanks for the pic.
Dutch
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

HorsePen Henry

I got mine fer a little less than that! :o

Thanks for the link to those pictures.

Many Thanks,

X Horse Pen
-Will Rogers-

-Horse Pen-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com