Guns in "Last Stand at Saber River"

Started by Silver Creek Slim, January 06, 2005, 01:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol Gabe

For those of you that were'nt there...
A few years back, 3 or 4 if my feeble brain is right, Mr. Howell (I think I'm younger than Kenny so he's a Mr. to me), was at the NCOWS Convention in Waterloo, IA and brought a few of the guns from 'LAST STAND...' and other Selleck movies to the Convention. I had seen them on a table and thought they were pretty slick, talked to the nice guy there and didn't think to ask his name..DUH! As I was packin' up to head home one of the Waddies walkin' by sez "...well, there goes Kenny Howell with the guns from..."
Well, Boys, ya' know yer gettin' old when you realize you have jist missed an opportunity to talk one-on-one with one of the worlds nicest guys about the greatest guns in a movie ever made and you missed it! OY!
Ah, well, maybe someday I'll get the chance again...
Hope to see you all at the NCOWS Convention coming up in Februaury, I jist know there will be some fantastic firearms there that I'll probably miss, soooooo, iffn' any of you Waddies out there attending see them, puhleeeze point them out to me in case I miss them!
Best regards and good traveling!
'Ol Gabe

Scattered Thumbs

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on January 06, 2005, 05:02:50 PM
What cartridge would have been used in a Colt conversion in 1865?

Slim

As far as I know there were no cartridge conversions in 1865

B. Butch Cavendish

I have been asking about when did the first cartridge conversions apear. The factory conversion started in 1869 to 71 deepending on the mdodel. colt or remmington etc. However it has been reported although now documented well that gunsmiths were doing field conversion before that.  The tech was around and the materials to convert a 160 .44 model colt  to a .44 rimfire shooting conversion as earl as 1860/ 61. did eanyone do it that early I cant'f find any. In the moive last stand at sabre river the gunsmith taht did the conversions "harry carry jr." was a gunsmith and the years was april 1865 which is possible although not proven.
Butch Cavendish was the first lone Ranger bad guy. Arizona Rangers, Sons of confederate veterans, William Clarke Quantrill Society. Outlaw, lawdog, merchant, mercenary, Preacher. "Too mean to forgive, Too mad to forget."

Scattered Thumbs

Quote from: B. Butch Cavendish on January 22, 2005, 11:54:25 PM
I have been asking about when did the first cartridge conversions apear. The factory conversion started in 1869 to 71 deepending on the mdodel. colt or remmington etc. However it has been reported although now documented well that gunsmiths were doing field conversion before that.  The tech was around and the materials to convert a 160 .44 model colt  to a .44 rimfire shooting conversion as earl as 1860/ 61. did eanyone do it that early I cant'f find any. In the moive last stand at sabre river the gunsmith taht did the conversions "harry carry jr." was a gunsmith and the years was april 1865 which is possible although not proven.

That would have shot "nice" a .457 bore and a .427 bullet

St. George

To answer your "conversion" questions - read the following:

"Those Other Colts - or, Colt Conversions" - Watson
"A Study of Colt Conversions and other Percussion Revolvers" - McDowell
"The Complete Collector's Guide To the Identification of Colt Percussion Accouterments 1853 - 1873, Including Cartridge Conversions and Their Values" - Rapley
"Arms Gazette" - OOP
"The Gun Report" - currently in print

All of the above address the Conversion Revolver in depth.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com