Should I ???

Started by willy, May 27, 2008, 05:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy

I got a Uberti 1851 navy that would blow the caps off into the inards when loaded with a full charge.
After taking you folks advice on here ,about using tresco nipples it solved the problem.
Now the gun shoots 2" groups easy (if I do my part)with no caps tieing up the gun.
Now here's my question--
I want to convert this gun to cartridge.
But I don't want to lose any accrracy.
I would be happy to use round balls loaded over a healthy dose of fffg.
Would it sound do able to get a 38spl. cylinder and have it reamed out to around .380 then fire form 38spl. cases to load a round ball that would fit the barrel?
Or maybe size a 41mag case down?
RCBS will make dies to any case I send them ,so dies wouldn't be a problem.
OR!!!! should I  just get a 1851 RM in 38spl. and hope it shoots as good as my 51 navy?

Willy

Pettifogger

You're not going to fire form a cartridge that uses a .357 bullet up to .380.  The cost of a custom cylinder and dies would be fairly expensive, way more than the cost of the gun.  Do what everyone else does.  Get a commercially available cylinder from Kirst or R & D and use readily availble soft lead hollow base wadcutter bullets.  Over a full charge they will expand and be quite accurate.

willy

That's what I figured .
But what kind of accrracy can I  get with the hollow base bullet?

Willy

Flint

The 148 gr. hollow base wadcutter is plenty accurate for CAS shooting, and up to 25 yards will shoot as accurately, or more accurately than it will as a cap & ball.  You can safely use smokeless powder in the Kirst or R&D, just load it as a typical target load, not as a +P.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com