Powder Flask ? for the new guy.

Started by Marshal J.D.Lightning, May 26, 2008, 10:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal J.D.Lightning

Hi Guys,

Still waiting on my pair of Uberti 3rd Model Dragoons & have a question for you Guys.

I have been given a powder flask (new in the box) that says;

REMINGTON Pattern
COPPER POWDER FLASK
.36 caliber

it has a 30 grain spout with it (there were others but the owner doesn't know where they are.)

My question is as silly as it sounds "can I still use this flask when I get my 44 Dragoons  ??? ??? ???

Why is the caliber on the box  ??? aren't they all the same  ???

As you can see all this cap & ball stuff is new to me so I need all the help I can get  ::) ::) ::)

Thanks heaps.

Take care.

Lightning.
Marshal J.D.Lightning
Provost Marshal. US Cavalry
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

Pettifogger

You can use any flask.  The only thing that matters is the size of the spout.  Probably said .36 because of the style and spount size that originally came with it.  .36 flasks were usually smaller than .44 flasks because the powder charges were smaller so you could carry enough powder for a certain number of shots in a smaller flask.

Mad Mucus

"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."

Ransom Gaer

Go ahead and use the Remmy flask.  It'll work fine.  Although if it is too small you may want to upsize at some point for convenience.  I use one of the tubular type.  It may not be historically correct, but it works.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Steel Horse Bailey

I will add this to what Ransom Gaer said:  yes, the flask will be fine.  30 grs. is pretty light for a Dragoon load and, depending on how the cylinder is bored, may not compress much - if at all.  MY Dragoon likes 35 grs. MINIMUM in order to get a proper compression.  My regular load is 43-45 grs.  Ya don't want to scrimp with a Dragoon.

That Remington flask has a dog on it, right?  It's called a Rem. flask because that was what was issued with Remington pistols.  The Colt flask has a cannon and flags (called "stand of flags" I think) and is about 50% bigger capacity.  I use a Walker flask, which is at least 50% bigger than the standard Colt flasks, and mine is the version with an adjustable spout - from 10 or 15 grs. to 60 or 65 grs.  It was often issued with the first Model Dragoons, and I suppose with the 2nd and 3rd Models as well, but I'm not sure.

That Remington flask probably has a screw-in spout and you can buy all different size spouts.  I have booth a Rem style and the Colt style and about 5 different spouts, in addition to my Walker flask.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Cactus Cris

I have one of them Walker flasks that I use now and then.  I found that it wasn't real accurate with 2f but was acceptable with 3f.  I prefer the round flasks that Cabelas has that are adjustable like the walker type & they are real accurate.
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com