ASM 1851 .44 Steel Colt

Started by Manwithnoname, May 26, 2008, 06:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manwithnoname

I bought an ASM .44 steel "1851 Navy" style gun from E.M.F. back several years ago.   The dealer (not a regular gun dealer - he was ordering from military supply store) said that these were guns which had been unavailable for sale due to some litigation with Colt.   The top of the barrel is stamped with the Colt stamp, and the gun was made in 1991 according to the date stamp.    I've got two stepped cylinders for it.   One has a few scratches, and the other is factory new.   I've also replaced the hand & arm but didn't get it fitted correctly.  I still have the original one too, and it worked perfectly.    I've also replaced the cylinder stop spring, but don't have the original any more.     The trigger guard and backstrap are imperfectly finished, but are plated with nickel.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows the history of this gun, and what the value might be.   I'm also thinking of selling, and wonder where I could get the best price.   Many thanks for any help.  I can post some pics if it will help.     

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Fingers McGee

EMF was the distributor for ASM products for a number of years.  ASM seemed to always have problems with quality (at least the couple I had weren't all that good) which probably explains why all Armi San Marco C&B and Cartridge Conversions models were discontinued in 2000.  The market for ASM items isnt very robust.  There are a lot of them on Gunbroker and Auction Arms that arent selling.  The 5th edition Blue Book (2007) of Modern Black Powder Firearms lists your .44 cal steel framed 1851 at $175 for 100% condition; $135 for 98%; $110 for 90%; and $85 for 80%.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com