Polishing Out Clouding

Started by Digger, May 24, 2008, 07:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digger

Hi Y'all,

I just bought me a Schofield.  It's NIB, but it is a few years old.  As often happens to bluing with a few years on it, it's gotten a little bit cloudy.  How do I bring it back to that new luster?

Thanks,
Digger

St. George

'You' don't...

Not without affecting the surrounding finish.

First - if it's new, then send in the Warranty Card, and  then call Smith & Wesson about having them attend to the problem.

If it's in Warranty - they'll do it and they'll pay for the shipping.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Digger

I bought it from GunBroker.com, and there was no warranty card included.  I expect it's been in a safe for the last 7 or 8 years, and brought out once a year for a basic cleaning.

Vigorous rubbing with a cotton diaper has helped.  I buy the old fashioned diaper cloth by the yard.  It's great for everything from cameras to guns.  The cashier at the cloth store the other day winked at me and confided it makes great patches for black powder.  I couldn't decide if she was speaking from experience or not. 

I've considered sending it in to S&W for a thorough servicing, but I plan to put a few rounds through it first.

Digger

Quote from: St. George on May 24, 2008, 11:17:24 PM
'You' don't...

Not without affecting the surrounding finish.

First - if it's new, then send in the Warranty Card, and  then call Smith & Wesson about having them attend to the problem.

If it's in Warranty - they'll do it and they'll pay for the shipping.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

St. George

I'd had a Colt Gold Cup whose finish did that.

I looked at it while I was cleaning it, and it was pretty noticeable, and it puzzled me.

Then I remembered that some manufacturers would spray 'Pledge' after the final Proof firing before placing the weapon into the box...

I wondered if Colt did that, so I saturated a cloth with toluoul and wiped it across the slide.

Sure 'nuff - the spray-on wax wiped away, leaving the Colt 'Royal Blue' finish bright and gleaming and awaiting a light oiling...

Before you continue - try Toluoul, Nail Polish Remover, or Ronsonol on a cotton swab - it 'may' do the trick, and it won't damage the surface finish.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com