A Dastardly brace of 60s

Started by Dick Dastardly, May 21, 2008, 05:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

It's been a long time a comin', but here at last is my "new" brace of 60s with Kirst Konverter cylinders and ejectors.  I shot a trial run last Monday night and was pleased with the groups.  The guns both shoot a mite high for me.  50 yard groups inside 2-1/2" off a rest seemed acceptable.  I ran Thirty Five rounds thru 'em with no problems.  They will be in those El Paso Leather holsters and hangin' on my waste this weekend at Oconomowoc.

Yes, those are Cowboy 45 Special brass loaded with 20cc of FFFg Holy Black under EPP-UG bullets.  Sweet shooter.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Mossyrock

Whoah!  Wait a minute!  KIRST CONVERTERS FOR 1860s?!?!?!?  Where did those come from?  Why didn't I get the memo?!?
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Adirondack Jack

And the Lord said "Walt, make the '60 work with that new, stubby .45 cartridge an a light Big Lube bullet.  The boys will enjoy it."  And it was done.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Dick Dastardly

I await the decision on whether or not that fine cartridge will be allowed in NCOWS.  Short experience shows that it is a fine round for the 1860s with conversion cylinders.

The Kirst ejectors and loading gate really make this an easy pistol to use.  I can load it dang near as fast as my RVs.  Same for unloading.

Now, I have many choices when it comes to what fills my holsters and what category I choose to entertain.

Life is good.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

hooey

Mr. Dastardly, who did the gunsmithing (porting, etc.) for you? Are those Uberti's or Pietta's?

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Hooey,

Walt Kirst did the work.  He's a personal friend.  Walt is also a fine gunsmith and a genuine engineer.  I've gotten to know him over time and respect his judgment when it comes to making guns work.  I don't know exactly what Walt does with those guns, but they are smooth as silk.  The guns are a brace of used Piettas that I bought from a fine pard out of California.

As soon as I can get my web site updated, I'll be offering the Kirst products for sale.  I think they will be a good fit with the line of black powder products I now carry.

One thing that must be said about the Colt Army 1860 design is that is the most naturally easy pointing gun I've ever held.  I love my ROAs, but they will never have the absolute grace and ease to aim that the 60s have.  Those long smooth Eight inch barrels have to figure in there somewhere.

DD-DLoS

Gunfighter Ordinar

Lucky Irish Tom

Right purty lookin pair of shooting irons there Dick.  I want to get something like that for my next pair, glad to hear you're happy with them.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Dick  ;D 8)

Nice guns, I think you've spured everyones curiosity, wouldn't mind haveing a pair of them my ownself, your Texas Jock Strap holsters complement them real well.  ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Steel Horse Bailey

REAL nice, Dick!

Even if not suitable for NCOWS, you could still load up some 45 S&W (Schofield) or 45 Colts and bang away!  20 of 3f sounds close to  a fine load near to the 44 Russian or 45 Schofield; just a little less.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Major 2

Dick
Those are nice  :)
I'm glad to see Walt Kirst is now making them, I can remember when he said he'd "... never make a conversion for the 1860's"  :-[
Kenny Howell had promised a gated conversion for them over a year ago, I sill think it's a ways off.  :-\

Bernie "Tuolumne Lawman"  announced Walt was about to offer his version, I though ...Kewl !!!!

You are absolutely right "...One thing that must be said about the Colt Army 1860 design is that is the most naturally easy pointing gun I've ever held. "

It is ! ...and my all time personal favorite revolver , arguably * the handsomest revolver ever designed.
I have 5 ( 2 Richards one by Howell & one by Anderson/USPFA , 2-2nd Gens {one with R&D Cyl}  and my 5 Iowa Cavalry original )
My next version wants to be a Type II ...
and a Dallas Stoudemire pocket 1860 Army with Ivory grips ( I've already got the grips looking for the donor gun)

* I'm also fond of the 51 Navy , and the streamlined pocket police.
when planets align...do the deal !

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Deadguy

Wow, those are a mite impressive!  I haven't shot any 1860's yet, but i do have an 1861 Navy, which is very similar, and I know what you are talking about.  The first time I handled that pistol I felt the "Magic" in it as well.  It still feels, well, perfect.  There's just no explaining it.  Why can't any modern companies come up with a design that feels better than these do?
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

will52100

Any idea when or if they'll become availible?  I'd love to get a pair in 44 colt and iegther shoot hollow base or reline the barrel.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Paladin UK

Bloody Brill Pard!! ;D

Paladin (What jest lurvs his opentops  :D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Dick Dastardly

First match with the "new" 60s is in the books.  Missed Three pistol targets, all on the second stage.  Then, I settled down and missed no more.  These guns are just different and there is a learning curve.  I'm thinkin' that they will fill my holsters fairly often this season.

It was interesting to see the authority shown in taking down the pistol KDs.  Those lil EPP-UG bullets purely smacked 'em down.  No nonsense.  I'm thinkn' that the velocity, over 900 fps, makes up for their light weight (150 grains).

The brass is in the tumbler and soon as I finish my iced tea I'm goin' to sit down and clean my guns.  It's a favorite quiet time when I get to know my shootin' irons better.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

litl rooster

Your right about the Learnin' curve...but your a fast learner....
Mathew 5.9

Dick Dastardly

These guns sure clean up quick and easy.  Took me a few seconds to figure out how to get the wedge out with the ejector rod assembly in place.  I drop the barrel and cylinder in the moosemilk spa, wipe down the frame and base pin, pull a boresnake thru the chambers and barrel and re-assemble with the wedge.

I've found that the Marshalls own Bore Butter is very good for lubricating the base pin.  The long needle spout allows easy reach to the base pin during the match should it start to bind some.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Justice Johnson

wow, DD those are some beauties, I have a pair of 1860's W R&D converters, they are truly sweet shooters, BUT I just got done ordering the gated Kirst with ejector rod, I am going to install this on my "sheriff's" model 1860 (5.5" barrel), now i just gotta wait for the order to arrive.

My 1860's (pietta) have been extremely accurate and dependable, either in cap 'n ball or cartridge conversion, they shoot a tad high but with a 6 o'clock hold targets go clang!!!!!!!!!

regards
4 slugs from a 44 no less, no more

Dick Dastardly

These guns shoot a mite high also.  I think it's part of the learnin' curve.  Old time Cowboys probably put the bull's eye on top of the sight and I tend to cover it.  Also, these sights are finer than my ROAs.  It takes some concentration to hold the identical sight picture from target to target.

However, when I do my home work, they do hit where they look.  I took out some interesting bonus targets with no problem.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Dr. Bob

Way to go Dick! ;D  Really satisfying ain't it! ;) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,