Holster Styles & Variations

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, May 21, 2008, 12:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter Lewis

Techsew Ron

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on October 02, 2012, 11:12:37 AM
This thread hasn't been updated in a while so here are a few.
[edit:links to images no longer valid]

Great stitching on these!

Ron
Raphael Sewing Machines Inc. / Techsew
www.techsew.com
1-866-415-8223

Eloy Santa Cruz

Very nice Skeeter! Did you make the chaps in the background too?
My monikor comes from my family's former ranch Santa Cruz Farms located outside Eloy, Arizona. The Santa Cruz river runs through the land.
    " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them" ---John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Skeeter Lewis

Thanks, guys. Yes, I made the chaps. Now I know a little more about leatherwork I might have a go at another pair.

Bonnie_blue1861

Real pretty work Skeeter ...I wish I had that kind of talent, experience and ability to make leather gear like that.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on October 02, 2012, 11:12:37 AM
This thread hasn't been updated in a while so here are a few.
Photo 1 = Outstanding
Photo 2 = Outstanding
Photo 3 = Outstanding
Photo 4 = Outstanding
Photo 5 = Outstanding

Very fine work, Skeet.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Skeeter Lewis

Wow. Thanks, guys. Your words mean a whole lot to me. Skeet

GunClick Rick

I've said it before,i don't want to ever be a judge comparing you guys,i wish i had a bunch of money,i would have something from each one of ya and display it with honor!Friggin museum around here!
Bunch a ole scudders!

Skeeter Lewis

I've shown this on the other thread and, at the risk of flogging it to death, here it is again over here. I've decided to call it 'The Arnie'.

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Marshal Will Wingam

Beautiful, Skeet. Thanks for posting it here.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Outstanding Skeet, well done for sure, thanks for the look see pard.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Graveyard Jack

Dang Skeeter, you do some really fine work!  ;D
SASS #81,827

KidTerico

Skeeter some darn nice leather work your showing. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Cliff Fendley

I've said it before but I'm sayin it again, dang nice tooling there Skeeter.

Did you make the pattern for that?
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Skeeter Lewis

Thanks, guys. Yes Cliff, all my patterns are my own work based, of course, on PI and 'Trappings'. This jockstrap is based on the holster on page 124 of PI, made c1925-30 by George Lawrence. That's about as late as I feel comfortable going though, like you Cliff, I have a fondness for the later holsters.The tricky part with a jockstrap is - uh - the jockstrap, which has to be riveted in three places. It's the devil to get it to sit right, though you seem to have no trouble, Cliff.
Skeet

Cliff Fendley

Thats why I asked Skeeter, I've had trouble getting the T shaped strap right on patterns I've made. Just wondered if there was some trick too it.

Johnson County Rangers

Skeeter Lewis

This was my first jockstrap holster and it was just trial and error fitting the strap. I'm not even sure I got it quite right, although I tried hard to get the strap parallel to the skirt. I did the  top right rivet first, then the bottom, then top left. But who knows? I'd need to do a couple more from that pattern to get it down.

Also. there can be a problem with the strap tilting along the vertical axis, if that makes sense. It might help to lay the strap along the top of the ejector rod.

Another problem with this style, particularly with the 7.5" barrel, is getting the tip of the holster to lay still, because one side of the cross-strap is angled so high. I see in the photo on page 124 that there's a piece of string around the bottom of the strap which the owner may have added to fix the holster to the strap.

Still, it's a pretty cool style.

Hope this helps.

Cliff Fendley

I agree on the tilting since the only strap going around the pouch is up high. The style lends itself to shorter barrels for sure.

Johnson County Rangers

daddyeaux

Guys I have a question. I notice that a lot of holsters have a double line border around the edges. What tool do you use to make those lines? I think a boning knife or crease knife would work well. Not to hijack the thread but I want to make a holster and have the double line border.

Thanks,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com