Author Topic: Barrel Caliber on 1872's and RMs  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Barrel Caliber on 1872's and RMs
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:47:56 AM »
I know that with the R&D and Kirst conversions you have to use the hollow based bullets due to differences in caliber of .36 c&b barrels. My question is, are the Cimarron and Uberti RMs and 1872 Open Tops in .38 set up to use regular 38 (.357) projectiles? :)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
Re: Barrel Caliber on 1872's and RMs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »
I use .357 sized .358 in my Uberti Open Top, Preacher Clint.

You can also use a heeled bullet in the conversion cylinders with an unlined barrel, as well as a HB bullet.
http://gadcustomcartridges.com/#heelbase
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 12:33:39 PM »
I use .357 sized .358 in my Uberti Open Top, Preacher Clint.

You can also use a heeled bullet in the conversion cylinders with an unlined barrel, as well as a HB bullet.
http://gadcustomcartridges.com/#heelbase

RCJ

Just out of curiousity, which do you prefer, the Remington in .36 conversion or your OT. I've got my eye on an Army Gripped OT 1872 in .38 spl to compliment the .36 Remmie conversion I'm buying. Would appreciate your thoughts. You can PM me if you would prefer, so as not stir up a hornet's nest here. LOL!  ;D ;D ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:26:31 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
Oh I don't think anyone will take offense at an opinion.
(Besides, I don't run fast enough to make sport by throwing rocks at hornet's nests.)

I like 'em both. I shoot BP, and usually duelist out of both and they perform well for me. I also shoot smokeless through the Open Top when the mood strikes. If there is threat of rain I will use the Open Top. Loading the Remington with loose powder and ball is a challenge if the loading tables aren't covered.
I have gone to shooting Working Cowboy (NCOWS), or it's equivalent, almost exclusively now. One sidearm and a longarm. So I have a tendancy to mix and match based more on whim than anything else.
If I know I'm going to a match that will have a lot of reloads, I prefer the Open Top. I used to have a Kirst cylinder for my Remington that I could pop in as a reload after the cap 'n' ball cylinder was emptied. ::)
For the past several years those matches that tended to use a lot of reloads would often write a couple of multiple reloads in a stage here and there, so again the Open Top was preferrable.
And of course, I have reloaded the Remington in cap 'n' ball while on the clock too, but that's more a test of patience on the part of my fellow posse members.
They make a nice contrast as a pair of sidearms when I'm carrying both. Several of the local clubs around here offer 'Range Detective' or equivalent, two sidearms and the rifle.

I am also interested in GAF, where I have developed a U. S. Navy persona. The Remington was one of the official sidearms used by the Navy from the Civil War until well into the cartridge era. (As a matter of fact, the Navy did not convert their stores of cap 'n' ball revolvers into cartridge until about 1873.) Another plus going for the Remington in my opinion.

The shape of the Remington grip causes the gun to roll back a bit more in my hand, as opposed to the Army grips on my Open Top, which doesn't seem to roll upwards with the recoil but causes my arm to rise more. Either way they are both fun to shoot.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com